What's new

A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

winslow

Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2004
Messages
448
Reaction score
1,644
Golden Thread
2
Location
Oregon, No Cal Border
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 900
A Mini-Cache on

Ok … I’m still catching my breath from what is my most exciting coin(s) find ever. The first time I found a seated liberty half on the side of the hill I was ecstatic. I never had found one before in over 25 years of detecting. Finding 4 more seated liberty halfs in the same general area was just amazing. A total of 5 seated liberty halfs from the same general area …super.! This was over about 20 two to three hour visits to the site.

A few weeks ago I found an 1857 seated quarter. I was beginning to think I had the place pretty well done but every time I returned I was getting signals. Some of the stuff is pretty deep so it takes just the right swipe of the detector at the right angle. I’m digging those real “choppy” signals that in many cases turn out to be little pieces of lead or pieces of tin. Thanks goodness I have a probe! Lots of junk, but it’s been a productive obviously old site so I’ve been patiently returning and digging. Unfortunately, the site is covered with poison oak and I’m real sensitive to it even in the winter even after taking all the standard precautions. My body is beginning to think that it’s normal to have that rash and itch.

A couple of weeks ago I was at the site and decided to go back over a location that I had done before. I noticed a can piece sitting next to an old madrone tree. I removed the can and got a choppy good signal. Part of the can I thought. I took out my probe and found not an old square nail about 3 inches deep. That was it I thought. Swept the hole again and got a solid good signal. Hmmm. Dug down about 12 inches and my probe pointed to the side of the hole I dug at about 9 inches. I brushed some of the dirt away and saw what at first glance appeared to be about a 1 inch cylinder. My first thought was chrome pipe fitting. But wait it looks silver and has edges like a coin. Make that coins! Seven seated liberty halfs all stacked neatly together … unbelievable. Funny that it started raining pretty hard right around that moment but I didn’t notice. I found a seated dime in the same hole dated 1850 O.

Back in the 1870’s the average wage was around 9 cents an hour. This $3.60 mini-cache represented a weeks worth of wages for someone.

All those that suspected a cache of some sort on this site because of the 5 seated halfs were certainly right. Now I’m up to 12 seated halfs, a seated quarter and a seated dime along with lots of interesting buttons, buckles etc. from this location. It certainly pays to ask permission!



The other picture is some of the miscellaneous stuff I found at the site yesterday.
 

Attachments

  • seated mini dirt front.webp
    seated mini dirt front.webp
    21.2 KB · Views: 5,837
  • seated mini front.webp
    seated mini front.webp
    23.3 KB · Views: 5,851
  • seate 3-09.webp
    seate 3-09.webp
    17.4 KB · Views: 5,689
Last edited:
Upvote 18
Re: A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

Monty said:
kuger, I am not offended! Seems like everything I post lately someone thinks I am offended. Maybe I am just getting too darn old and grumpy? No, just the opposite , I am delighted to learn something about those buckles. I learn something new every day. Monty
GOOD,I have a tendency to piss people off!!!I dont mean too.Glad your O.K!! :wink:
 
Re: A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

All I can say is AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
I'd kill for just one of those. Camp out, and keep us posted!
 
Re: A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

Holy moly!!!! What a dream find! My heart skips a beat when I see the reeded edge of a rosie or washington quarter. I would have needed major CPR if I'd seen the reeded edges of seven halves stacked together, and then found them to be seated halves. Man, you must still be walking on air.
 
Re: A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

Every time I don't check in here for a while I wish I had.

If I had time, I'd type in every superlative I know. Incredible! is one.

I expect the only reason that cavalryman didn't come back for his stash is that he wasn't able to. Possibilities abound as to why, but YOU are his beneficiary. It just took quite a while.

Congratulations and keep having Biggest Fun with this one!
 
Re: A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

Great find! ;D;D
;D;D;D


How did you clean up those coins? ;D
 
Re: A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

wow :thumbsup: great finds and good luck.
 
Re: A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

outstanding :icon_sunny: congrats and hh
 
Re: A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

Amazing finds!! :coffee2:
 
whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat !:icon_cyclops_ani::o.. thats so cool.. I would be so happy with just 1 ..
 
Keep it cool and clean, as you know after 25 years one slip of location and every scavenger and their dogs will finish it up.
 
I'm surprised I missed this post. What a fantastic find! Thanks for sharing and best of luck clearing the rest of the goodies from that site. My banner vote will be in shortly!
 
I'm surprised I missed this post. What a fantastic find! Thanks for sharing and best of luck clearing the rest of the goodies from that site. My banner vote will be in shortly!

LOL your 5 years late.

On the banner 5 years ago :laughing7:
 
I think another M.D. would of found my bones laying next to them because my heart would of stopped if I ever found this cache. Congrats on a banner find.
 
Man that's just outstanding, your one lucky person congrats to ya ...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom