What's new

A most unique button

crabstang44

Hero Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2016
Messages
885
Reaction score
5,002
Golden Thread
2
Location
eastern nc
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Makro racer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Shank is connected to the front flower piece and goes through the main piece of button, plus other buttons and shoe tongue. Anyone seen button like this before?
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    30.3 KB · Views: 127
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    60.1 KB · Views: 123
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    39 KB · Views: 123
Upvote 11
Yes, but usually the front is missing. Definitely a keeper.
 
Cool button! Does the main button swivel on the shank and center flower piece? Also, sweet chape and tongue.
 
Very cool button.
 
Cool button! Does the main button swivel on the shank and center flower piece? Also, sweet chape and tongue.

It's a little loose but doesn't swivel
 
Definitely a sweet button. The buckle tongue and chape date the site as being pretty old too. Go find some more. :thumbsup:
 
do you know what this style is called? the age?

I've seen them as well, no idea on the technical name, but mid 19th C would be close.
 
I've never seen one, & its a very nice button.
 
Cool button. I have a feeling it may be a little earlier than mid 19th century based on the design.
 
Cool button. I have a feeling it may be a little earlier than mid 19th century based on the design.

i would like to agree as it was found about ten feet from the shoe tongue
 
The shoe buckle piece is really sweet! You have the tongue, chape and spike! The only reason that I know the names of the parts, is because I used this "cheat sheet"!

Another nice find.
 

Attachments

  • 18th-century-shoe-buckle-parts.webp
    18th-century-shoe-buckle-parts.webp
    14.3 KB · Views: 82
The shoe buckle piece is really sweet! You have the tongue, chape and spike! The only reason that I know the names of the parts, is because I used this "cheat sheet"!

Another nice find.
I'm happy to see you using the proper teminology CT, you are setting a good example for all :thumbsup: LOL :laughing7:
 
Cool button. I have a feeling it may be a little earlier than mid 19th century based on the design.

I think you maybe right, I second guessed my gut which said 18th C. Problem is, I just checked my books, & its not present, so it is a guess.
 
I think you maybe right, I second guessed my gut which said 18th C. Problem is, I just checked my books, & its not present, so it is a guess.
Definitely an unsual style. I just feel the design on the face of the button is more consistent with circa 1800 than 1840.
 
Not sure about this type of button, but in Tice's book there are a few with the wire shank attached to a boss on the front side and it would be easy to assume the time frame for that time would fall in line with the button on this post, therefore, it just might be late mid 1700s to 1800 time frame. A different button for sure......
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom