A new guy needs some advice on places to hunt

Emo

Jan 27, 2008
Hello everybody... since I found this forum few days ago I've been astonished to see some of your finds!! amazing...

I too have a metal detector but I took it back to my country (in Europe) so my grandfather can find "gold" where HIS grandfather told him that he buried LONG time ago.. to this day we still haven't found it but I'll go back there for the summer months and help him out

Anyway, since I took the metal detector there I am looking around to get a new one. I read somewhere that "White's" is a pretty good brand.. any suggestions?

So back to the original point of my topic, I am not familiar with where I can and where I can't search. I mean how can I be sure that where I go isn't some private property or some restricted area? Right next to my house across the street they are building a HUGE community and they've cleared lots of land from bushes, trees and such so the place is just leveled! I was wondering if I can go there and try my luck or is it again, "off limits"?

I live in Kissimmee, FL by the way, small town south of Orlando (where Disney World is)

Thanks for any advice guys!!

-Emo

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum and the hobby.

Construction sites are usually ok to search. Since they are building a community, it is a commercial job which means a developer owns the property. There is probably a sign that says who the developer is, and a phone call for permission will probably work out fine. They usually don't care as long as you aren't in the way of the construction workers. Caution, if you are searching on a day when they are actually working on the site, make sure you ask the construction workers if its alright and assure them you won't be in their way.

If it is a state project, like a new road, then I normally never ask permission, as I am told you typically don't have to. Again, make sure you ask the workers if its alright and assure them you won't be in the way.

I am not familiar with FL laws, but public parks are usually ok to hunt. Private property is ALWAYS off limits UNLESS you receive permission from the landowner.

The best place to start is in your own yard. It is a great place to practice and in most cases, there are some good things to find. I found a .54 caliber minie ball in my parents yard, and several wheat pennies, silver dimes, and a war nickel in my tiny yard when I lived in DC. You just never know.

Good luck and make sure you post your pics of your finds in the Todays Finds section.

Oh, and obviously considering your location, hit the beaches!!

OP
OP
E

Emo

Jan 27, 2008
Thanks for the info.

The construction has not begun yet so it's just flat land and no construction has been started.

There's a conservation area behind my house with a small forest and some land filled with palm trees...maybe I'll try there too...

Thanks again!

sndman60

Jan 31, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300
Howdy and welcome. I too am new to detecting and new to this forum. So glad I found it. Well as for detectors I have a Garrett Treasure Ace 300 and works out fair. It's hard to get a very good pinpoint and descrimination isn't the top of the line. I have used a friends White's XLT and it is great. He has a 6" coil and with the smaller coil pinpointiong is dead on. I ordered and it should be here today as a matter of fact and XLT with the 9.5" coil. Soon I do hope to be posting pics of some of my better finds with the GTA 300. Hope I helped at least a little. Good luck and look forward to seeing some of your finds.

Gary

lou423

Dec 14, 2005
S.W. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro. Minelab. Fisher.
Try the Wabbasso beach...in 1713 fourteen spanish ships sank between Vero Beach, Wabbasso and further north.
They were loaded with gold and silver.
You can detect from the low tide zone to the sand bar.
Just do not go under water. It is against the law.
A dumb law. But that is the way things are.
Good luck.

Pipster

Mar 8, 2007
denver
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, vision v3i,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello there, i used a garrett gta 500 for about nine years and just upgraded to a whites mxt. it does not have some of the features that i liked in my garret but the numerical system works alot better then the vdi system the garret uses. hope you get one soon.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
lou423 you cannot go in the water in the lease areas North of Vero Beach. The law is from low tide line(water) up to the dune(not in the dune). It is best there after a storm or coldfront. Emo, sometimes construction sites have a sign saying no trespassing. If there is one, dont do it. But I agree, if they just bulldozed everything, check it out. Always fill in all your holes, make it look like you werent there. Good luck hunting!

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Emo. welcome aboard TreasureNet!

Click on the Kellyco link at the top of this page. They are located in Winter Springs, not too far from you, and they carry just about every detector that you can imagine.

Good Luck

Tom

Kellyco

Oct 10, 2007
Winter Springs, Florida
Detector(s) used
Everything in Kellyco's Showroom!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Emo,
Welcome to Treasure Net. Please let me know if there is anything that I can do for you! We are close to you and can certainly help you!!
KellycoChick

JoeSWFla

Jun 15, 2007
Hi Emo,Hope your detecting has gone well.I always try to get permisson
when hunting inland sites-even pre-construction sites.I recall one time
seeing that an old house was gone,and there was an office building
going to be built.I went there on a Sunday and brought my son to hunt.
Shortly a BMW pulls up and I got an unhappy greeting.He asked if I
knew I was on private propery.I said I was sorry,I didn't see a sign.He
then stated"I have to put up a sign to keep you off".I told him"No,I meant
I didn't see a sign with a name to call to ask permisson first,and I thought
the company wouldn't mind that I found a few coins and didn't mean to
offend anybody".He then relaxed and said he had trouble with a couple of
guys who showed up with a large machine on wheels to hunt the lot.Sounded
like a GPR.They told him to take a hike.He then called the Sheriff.I told him
this was not typical of the MDing community,and we don't like their kind.
I was invited to hunt all I wanted ,just leave any original house hardware on
a slab,as the house was moved to the local museum to be used there.Many
times people have ruined our welcome by stupid behavoir,and a little
politeness and civilized attitude can open a lot of doors.Good luck on
your hunting and many good finds.HH Joe

adh247

Oct 30, 2007
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 Special Edition
goto cocoa beach this weekend after the surf contest sunday around 6:00pm, that should make you happy!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread