A Newbie needs help picking his first Detector

Luckystiff

May 28, 2013
Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75,Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys I know many other threads have addressed this same topic,so bare with me.I'm looking to spend around $300 i know its not a lot but i don't want to put $$$$ into a sport i can't give my full attention to,(yet) between fishing,hunting,and Honey due list not much time left on the weekends.

So what I'am looking to use it for are coins,relic's. will be seaching mostly old farmsteads,not much at all at Beache's.
so having said all that I'm looking at Tesoro Cibola,Fisher 2, white's coin Master.The only Dealer with in 50 miles of me is a White.
I like that fact the Tesoro doesn't have a Digital read out,(all the less to go wrong)is a DVI really that important??
and what type of coil? should i get for what i'm looking to do with it.

Thanks for all you suggestions!!!! May all your holes be full of Gold:goldtrophy:

Upvote 0

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So what I'am looking to use it for are coins,relic's. will be seaching mostly old farmsteads,not much at all at Beache's.
so having said all that I'm looking at Tesoro Cibola,Fisher 2, white's coin Master.The only Dealer with in 50 miles of me is a White.
I like that fact the Tesoro doesn't have a Digital read out,(all the less to go wrong)is a DVI really that important??
and what type of coil? should i get for what i'm looking to do with it.

A Tesoro Cibola would more than fit the bill. Think it's gunna run ya more than the $300 though. You could also look at a Tesoro Compadre. Quite a bit cheaper and owners love em.
Is the VDI really that important? NOPE! Especially on the entry level detectors. I have a CoinMaster Pro and there is no way I recommend it. Come to think of it there is no way I'd recommend any VDI unit in that price range from any mfg.
Just my opinion!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro Cibola all the way! Good Luck!

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Luckystiff, welcome. Tesoro, Fisher, Whites, all great detectors. Each has an entry level machine that should suit yiur needs. Tesoro being slightly cheaper due to less electronic, but a great machine none the less. I here the Compadre is a good unit, as well as the Fisher F2. I don't know much about White's though.

The VID on units with a display do help, its up to the operator to interpret. As for coil, each has their purpose. I started with a concentric on my Ace 250 and now use a DD in the AT Pro. Both work well once you understand what they're tell you.

Whichever you decide, take your time and learn them well (practice is the best teacher). Also, ask questions here on Tnet. This site is full of experienced and knowledgeable ppl willing to help.

Happy Hunting,

Jay

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, there are a lot of these lately?!?!

Welcome to the hobby! I'm gonna recommend that you do a lot of research, online and at your local detector store if you have one. Kellyco is a great site to look, read about, and compare one detector to another. It has a cool little chart form for direct feature by feature comparison. Big boy hobbies is another reputable site.

I encourage you to consider what landscape you will be hunting, what you are hoping to recover, and any particular features you know you "have to have" before you decide on an MD.

Try to stay away from Chinese made "junk detectors" and go with a good old MADE IN USA detector. Also consider any accessories like the Lesche digging tool and the Garrett pro pointer- 2 things that will make retrieval a lot faster and easier. Good luck, and let us know what you decide on!

OP
OP
Luckystiff

Luckystiff

May 28, 2013
Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75,Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I pulled the Triger on a Fisher F2 from Big Boy's Hobbies..Bart and Evan were great to Deal with (class act),can't wait to get it first place i will try it out is were i lost my Gold wedding Band 20yrs ago so if i find it the purchase is worth it.....

May all your holes be full of Gold!!

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I pulled the Triger on a Fisher F2 from Big Boy's Hobbies..Bart and Evan were great to Deal with (class act),can't wait to get it first place i will try it out is were i lost my Gold wedding Band 20yrs ago so if i find it the purchase is worth it.....

Congrats on the new machine! Now go have fun!

Happy Hunting

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Welcome to the forum, Luckystiff. I'm liking your plan to go look for your lost wedding ring. Do you think you have a pretty good idea where to search? A small area? That would be a great recovery. Good luck.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ull do just fine with the f2 and all the goodies it comes with it will at least give u a taste of the hobby soon ull be like the rest of us eat breath live for that awesome find good luck and welcome to the hobby ull like it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread