What's new

a question for those smarter than me (almost everyone)

captaindoug

Full Member
Joined
May 1, 2011
Messages
112
Reaction score
22
Golden Thread
0
Just had lunch with a fellow MDer, was telling me how his hearing is getting to the point where it is really making it difficult. I can barely spell electronics but was wondering why sounds couldn't be replaced with lights. Different colors for different tones. Just wondering...... I know I have tried using my hearing aid with the Sand shark and a fisher and that just does not work.
 
Upvote 0
im one of the dumber ones.the beach hunter has pretty lights. the aquasound a deaf person could hear it
 
Ask that question on Geotech forum, i think one of them might know.
 
One of the hunters at the Daytona hunts had a light in his detector because of his hearing impairment and he does well. The Aquasound has head phones that you sometimes have to put cotton in your ears to dampen the sound and the Gold Master Headphones are also a good choice. I have a set.
 
I think I've heard of vibrations in place of sound ... a la Vibraprobe. Might be interesting to investigate that, maybe?

HH Joe
 
Headphones on steriods
 

Attachments

  • DSC_8812.webp
    DSC_8812.webp
    64.8 KB · Views: 589
  • SNAG-0009.webp
    SNAG-0009.webp
    97.1 KB · Views: 593
  • DSC_8812.webp
    DSC_8812.webp
    64.8 KB · Views: 577
  • SNAG-0009.webp
    SNAG-0009.webp
    97.1 KB · Views: 590
captaindoug said:
Just had lunch with a fellow MDer, was telling me how his hearing is getting to the point where it is really making it difficult. I can barely spell electronics but was wondering why sounds couldn't be replaced with lights. Different colors for different tones. Just wondering...... I know I have tried using my hearing aid with the Sand shark and a fisher and that just does not work.

Here you go! http://www.treasureproducts.com/vibraphone.html
 
I think lights are limited to only 3 or 4 do the voltage requirements. LED's would get you better amount on info. but while I already said voltage lets just stop there! Meter's are a measurement of voltage and hence that's why were able to produce a number for each type targets. So lights while they can be used like they currently are. A meter would be a better choice for hearing impaired. IMHO steve
 
I've encountered the same problem getting into detecting with my ACE 350. High tones, the bell sound, I can't hear in one ear so I wore the aids last Saturday to see if they would help. It was a disappointment, they didn't seemed to help and almost always had some undertones (that I eventually learned to ignore). However, the unit, while it doesn't have a digital readout does have the segments that are just as good if not better than the tones for pinpointing the object once you are swinging over it. So I'll be retraining myself to watch the segment readouts once I strike something rather than doing the easy thing of relying on solely on the tones.
 
Bone conduction head phones maybe? The old White's PI used a bone clicker. Or as suggested, a vibrating motor could easily be rigged. They are readily available at Radio Shack or even from an old cell phone.
 
Until I lost it I used a small Koss Equalizer similar to this one on Amazon: Koss EQ50 3-Band Stereo Equalizer
about $20, you can adjust the volume of the tones.

R
 
I designed a little plug in device for the headphone jack that would light up when a target was detected. Problem was every detector did not put out the same voltage. Also my EXP II gave me a lot of information on its screen so without it all you get is a yes there is some kind of metal in the ground. Gave up and turn to wireless HP's. That did blow my mind, FM , Bluetooth, you name it. You also have to power the transmitter and the Phones.

Ed D.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom