A question for you AR 15 guys

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Zakski

Dec 4, 2018
Detector(s) used
A. T. Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got a early to mid '90s armalite AR that I had converted from a rifle length barrel to mid length several years ago. Haven't shot it that much, but it feels like the recoil is pretty harsh i'm guessing I need to swap out the buffer weight with a heavier one Any suggestions?
Any extracting problems? Check your extracted casings for abnormal issues.
Also if the heavier buffer spring doesn’t work. You probably need to add restricted gas tube adapter to limit the amount of gas going back into the upper receiver.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got a early to mid '90s armalite AR that I had converted from a rifle length barrel to mid length several years ago. Haven't shot it that much, but it feels like the recoil is pretty harsh i'm guessing I need to swap out the buffer weight with a heavier one Any suggestions?
I,m no AR expert but your guess seems like a good one.The shorter barrel bleeds the gas to operate the action at a higher pressure,thus more vigorously blowing the bolt back with a perceived greater recoil. A heavier buffer and or stronger spring probably would alleviate this. I could be all wrong but makes sense to me.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also if the heavier buffer spring doesn’t work. You probably need to add restricted gas tube adapter to limit the amount of gas going back into the upper receiver.
Zaksi,s fix is a good one!Welcome to Tnet Zaksi!

OP
OP
flatbutton

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
haven't had any problems just feels over gased

OP
OP
flatbutton

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I,m no AR expert but your guess seems like a good one.The shorter barrel bleeds the gas to operate the action at a higher pressure,thus more vigorously blowing the bolt back with a perceived greater recoil. A heavier buffer and or stronger spring probably would alleviate this. I could be all wrong but makes sense to me.
yeah, that makes sense I'll do some research and see whats available

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread