A quick post on my first 'find'

nunyabiz111

Jun 15, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
or at least what I recognized as a potential stone relic worth picking up from days pre-settlement...found at the very head of what would have been a small upland woodland stream that's since long been deforested and dried up/converted into a drainage ditch for many potato fields (some ~200 years back) along its otherwise short distance to the receiving waters of the Saint John river. Some kind of a hoe blade is what I've come around to settle upon as its possible use, if any:

IMG_2303.JPG

IMG_2304.jpg

IMG_2305.JPG

IMG_2306.jpg

IMG_2310.jpg

sorta wish the pics came out better but that's beside the point for now...thanks for looking!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

nunyabiz111

Jun 15, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an awesome find

well thank you. even if it hadn't ever crossed my mind that it may be "artifactual", i just as much would have been won over by its charm to bring it along. one of those things eh.

dirstscratcher

Mar 8, 2019
N.C. Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sure doesn't look natural to me, but I have no idea what it could have been used for. A drainage ditch through potato fields reminds me of a few places I know of. It sounds like a natural progression from a marsh or swamp that was drained in historic times for agriculture. Rich black peaty soil perfect for root crops like potatos. BTW, the places I know of included lots of archaeology and a mastodon or two.

choo

Jul 31, 2009
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never seen anything like it! It looks like it has small grooves around it! Looks to be slate! If I found it I bring it home with me! It looks like some kind of artifact to me!

OP
OP
N

nunyabiz111

Jun 15, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never seen anything like it! It looks like it has small grooves around it! Looks to be slate! If I found it I bring it home with me! It looks like some kind of artifact to me!

for a place built on all types, sizes and shapes of loose and unconsolidated bits and pieces of glacial washout (and broken glass you'd swear), can't say i have either...for whatever reason that is lol

20200807204811_IMG_0955.JPG

nice banner find, btw

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread