cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this in the past but got no solve. I cleaned it up and took better photos. It looks like it is copper, but I am not sure.

I don't know if the little holes around it means it was attached to something with little rivots, screws or nails. I don't know if the anchor is a navy thing or if the anchor was a logo for something.

Any info would be appreciated! Thanks.

AADSCN02261.JPG AADSCN02267.JPG AADSCN02266.JPG AADSCN02262.JPG AADSCN02264.JPG

OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I emailed billn1956 This is his reply: "I am looking to see if I still have the answer I got to my find He sent me a picture of the neck stock that was in the ARH magi,.But you rember seeing the navy boys wearing there capes? this is what fastened them together at the neck,,Mine had no backing left on it but there was two of them joind together with a little chain"

I invited him to join this post if he did find anymore info on it and of course thanked him for getting back to me.

As for me, I am just as confused now as I was when I first posted it! :BangHead: As far as how it came out of the ground and the type of soil it was in was, it was on its side, I thought it was a can top and almost threw it in my garbage bag. The soil was sand not dirt. I love detecting here 90% is in sand.

But if anyone knows what I found, please let me know! :sign10: :laughing3: :sign10:

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It sounds as if bill is calling it a cape closure BUT the pic in the magazine looks like a neck stock. It says something like........Roger S. S...........Historical Militaria under the pic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess it was attached to a leather neck stock but I would like to see exactly how it looked.
I wonder what its worth? Yours is in better condition than the others.
I wonder if thats where "leathernecks" came from?
"I wonder if thats where "leathernecks" came from?"
Neckstocks
All Marines were to wear black neck-stocks, hence the nickname "Leather-Necks." These stocks, the purpose of which was to make the Marine hold his head erect, were made of black leather. A surviving stock of the era is thirteen and one-half (13 ½) inches long and two (2) inches wide. The back of this stock had a smaller strip of leather; ½ inch wide that was sewn onto the back of the stock and kept closed with a small brass buckle. Photographic evidence shows, however, that the neck-stock was rarely (if ever) worn, except with full dress.

Upvote 0

hoosierguy

Feb 5, 2013
Laconia, IN
Detector(s) used
● Minelab Manticore ● Minelab CTX-3030 ● Minelab Equinox 800 ● Minelab Goldmaster 1000 ● Garrett Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cdsieg said:
"I wonder if thats where "leathernecks" came from?"
NeckstocksAll Marines were to wear black neck-stocks, hence the nickname "Leather-Necks." These stocks, the purpose of which was to make the Marine hold his head erect, were made of black leather. A surviving stock of the era is thirteen and one-half (13 ½) inches long and two (2) inches wide. The back of this stock had a smaller strip of leather; ½ inch wide that was sewn onto the back of the stock and kept closed with a small brass buckle. Photographic evidence shows, however, that the neck-stock was rarely (if ever) worn, except with full dress.

What is the source of your comment? I'm just curious...we were taught that the term came from the leather collar Marines wore to protect from a sword in combat. I'm no historian, but the erect neck thing doesn't sound right.

Regards,

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the source of your comment? I'm just curious...we were taught that the term came from the leather collar Marines wore to protect from a sword in combat. I'm no historian, but the erect neck thing doesn't sound right.

Regards,

I found it on this site here, I am no expert on nothing and certainly no historian either so you may be right! this is where I found that info. link :usmc_uniforms

Upvote 1

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK. I will reluctantly concede. It still is odd to me that most of the items were found in areas with no naval activity. It is also odd to me that the "neck stock" pictured has the disks near the ends of the band. These were tied in the back placing the disks on the back of the neck and covered by the shirt and coat collar. It doesn't make sense. The item pictured could just as easily be a late Victorian ladies dress sash.

This ID reminds me of the story of Plymouth Rock. In 1741 the folks of Plymouth carried the oldest guy in the village (94 y.o.) down to the shore line and he pointed to a rock the pilgrims supposedly first stepped on 120 years earlier. Maybe he knew. Maybe he didn't. But the people of the village got an answer they were happy with... And we still believe in it today. So be it.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this web site Texas Navy Association Home Page about the Texas Navy and it has a neat video on it If you just want to look at the video I put a direct link on here as well.Texas Navy and the Baltimore Clipper - YouTube

Thank you all of you who took time to comment on this, I always try to thank everyone at least like your comment, if I missed someone I am sorry, I never had so much response to any of my postings so I know I may have missed some people. I have learned a lot from this posting and I love to learn, It would be even better if I could retain it! LOL

Upvote 0

Dutch2961

Sep 16, 2015
Ohio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is an early Naval neck stock insignia. It would date from about 1780 to about 1805. Probably a French import for the early U.S. Navy. John Paul Jones had uniform buttons with a similar device on them. I owned a complete neck stock with identical discs attached. The discs were located on the sides of the stock to protect the arteries of the neck from a sword blow. In between the two discs was a thin sheet of iron within a heavy cloth piece. have enclosed photos of the original for your reference, as it seems others have found similar pieces.

Attachments

• Scan_20150917 (2).jpg
    Scan_20150917 (2).jpg
    398.4 KB · Views: 86
  • Scan_20150917 (3).jpg
    Scan_20150917 (3).jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 86
  • Scan_20150917.jpg
    Scan_20150917.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 92
Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Regards,

What I have heard and I don't know the truth of it, was that hard leather was worn on the neck to prevent neck injuries and also beheading by Barbary pirates so it would seem it goes back further than just our military. Would probably have originated with the English military and adopted by us. But like I said that is hearsay.

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread