cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this in the past but got no solve. I cleaned it up and took better photos. It looks like it is copper, but I am not sure.

I don't know if the little holes around it means it was attached to something with little rivots, screws or nails. I don't know if the anchor is a navy thing or if the anchor was a logo for something.

Any info would be appreciated! Thanks.

AADSCN02261.JPG AADSCN02267.JPG AADSCN02266.JPG AADSCN02262.JPG AADSCN02264.JPG

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Your welcome. Maybe someone has the JULY-AUGUST- NORTH-SOUTH TRADERS magazine.
I searched for a pic online but couldnt find one.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your welcome. Maybe someonew has the JULY-AUGUST- NORTH-SOUTH TRADERS magazine. I searched for a pic online but couldnt find one.

I searched for one as well and came up empty handed. I hope if someone finds it they will still share it on here even though I already marked it solved! I hope to see you on more of my posts! Right now I think all of mine are solved; but that won't last long! LOL

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I guess it was attached to a leather neck stock but I would like to see exactly how it looked.
I wonder what its worth? Yours is in better condition than the others.
I wonder if thats where "leathernecks" came from?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess it was attached to a leather neck stock but I would like to see exactly how it looked.
I wonder what its worth? Yours is in better condition than the others.
I wonder if thats where "leathernecks" came from?

I sent a private message to billn1956, the one who mentioned the magazine in the earlier post, I will post it here if he gives me anymore info or shares a link or a photo.

I would also love to see what one looked like and I also wonder what it is worth, but more than either of those... I wish it could talk and tell us where it has been and what it saw!!!!

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Has anyone seen the article in the 1994 North - South Traders magazine? I'd like to know who IDed the relic, thier provenance, and where the relic was found. There are 3 now on Tnet - one found in Arkansas, one found in Texas, and one found in North Caroline. I found a posting on another forum of one found in West Virginia. I know anything can be found pretty much anywhere, but 3 out of 4 of these were found in places that were not exactly hotbeds of early (or ANY) Naval activity. Seems to me we would see more of them coming out of the ground along the east coast.

I've also looked at bunches of American Revolutionary neck stocks and buckles. Nothing even remotely resembles this relic.

In short, I'm not convinced. If anyone has that article I'd really like to see it. Still researching...

DCMatt

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
A member from arh IDed it? What is arh? Help,,Navy ?

Well a member of arh,sent me pictures of it in the North south traders, civil war, July- August issue of 1994. It is a Revolutionary War Navel Officers neck stock.,,I would never of thought I would find some thing from the Rev war hear in Arkansas.It is true you just never know what you are going to dig up next.
quote billn1956

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Odd that it's listed as a civil war piece, despite the listing stating that it was identified as revolutionary war era. And that the one in the magazine says its pewter, the one listed is said to be brass... And the one here looks like copper? It still could be correct, it's just odd.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think what the article is pointing to is the neck stock on the left and from what I see is got no mention of the artifact like she found up above in the Magazine, I do not think this artifact would have been attached to the neck area what so ever??? or maybe?. I'm alittle confused of the person trying to sell that artifact on that saying "Identified in July-August 1994 North South Trader as "Revolutionary War- era Naval Officers Neck Stock" and from above post selling it for only $34.00?"

However the artifact listed on that website and in N&S trader clearly shows the age of it and I wouldn't have doubt that could be a 200 year or so artifact, the one Cindy found the back of the artifact looks like the artifact listed on the website & magazine with the corrosion, but the front of the artifact Cindy found is got very little corrosion going on, this could mean the artifact depending on soil,location may have been in the ground @ a certain way were water and corrosion could only containment the back side, Again i'm alittle confused on the magazine article would be nice to read the full page.

Attachments

• stock.jpg
    stock.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
One last skeptical thought, despite me hoping that this ID is correct;
In the close-up of the device it appears as though the rivets are missing, and that pieces of string are holding it on. For a piece that looks in otherwise very good condition, how did it come to be that the rivets went away, even though dug examples still have some of them intact?
Again, I do hope that that ID is correct anyway, and good job Bramblefind for finding the picture.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Good job Bramblefind finding the pic. Looks good to me.

It appears to have a ring on the backside that was riveted to the neck stock that rotted away. The camera in the bottom right hand corner means it was on eBay. Its not hard to believe the price considering it was listed incorrectly. Maybe thats all it worth in this condition. It seems to have lead on the backside that may have been mistaken for pewter. The pic clearly shows its a neck stock. The biggest doubt for me would be an unfouled anchor in the US Navy. But this was very early Navy.

I have no issue with corrosion or lack of.

Attachments

• navy neck backside.jpg
    navy neck backside.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 75
  • navy neck stock historical militaria.jpg
    navy neck stock historical militaria.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 90
  • navy neck stock cdseig.jpg
    navy neck stock cdseig.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Upvote 0

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if this could have been some sort of medal/gift or something in that nature during the rev. war period or maybe alittle bit after the rev. war? and was never intended too really be worn as a neck stock but just something for a gift? But looking at the last picture that Bigc posted it could have very well been. Just odd how that one listing states "Dug civil war" then when you go to the website it says its rev. war period. Some correction is needed for confusion!

Upvote 0

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a Dug crude 2-piece neck stock buckle. It is Revolutionary War to War of 1812 period and was recovered in Georgia. It has crude drilled attachment holes and a nice patina for the most part. and is selling for $85

Attachments

• neckb.JPG
    neckb.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 102
Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a Dug crude 2-piece neck stock buckle. It is Revolutionary War to War of 1812 period and was recovered in Georgia. It has crude drilled attachment holes and a nice patina for the most part. and is selling for $85

....and your point is???????????

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Putting the words "Civil War" in an eBay listing will get more hits. He could have got more using the word "Confederate" lol.

Its not a neck stock buckle like the one pictured.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread