a simple question

lost it

Aug 24, 2015
new england
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My question-when using an ace 250 a signal is never guaranteed -- for example a good solid high tone will sometimes be a deep piece of iron or a coin-silver or copper--so should I also believe that iron signals are not always going to be accurate--like can a deep iron signal be a coin or good object. Does anyone know what I'm asking.. Our high or mid tone signals are not always high or mid tone objects-- so does that also correlate to the iron signals--will they also sometimes be a high or mid tone object.

Upvote 0

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I cannot comment on that machine, but I will always remember a signal that I got on my XLT when I first started detecting.

It was a deep repeatable signal that was ID'd as iron.

It took me a while to realize that deep targets are difficult to ID on some machines.

I have a CTX now, and I am amazed at how well it ID's the deep targets accurately.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will need to dig a lot of targets to learn what your machine is telling you. Unfortunately the lower end machines don't provide as much or as accurate data as higher end units do. Note the depth and the sound of the tone then dig it up. Eventually you will you will get better at IDing the target before you dig it up. Or you will upgrade to a higher end machine that has better capabilities of IDing the target. Good luck and don't get discouraged, it takes time an practice, besides even the higher end machines can not tell the difference between a pull tab and a gold ring..

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
unfortunately everything you're saying and asking about is sound/tone related. And "sounds" can not be conveyed in printed text. It can't be done. Like asking someone to "describe sound of C-major" in printed text. Can't be done. Has to be heard.

So too, when someone says: "... a good solid high tone.." and so forth, those are subjective descriptions. The next more experienced guy could show you (only in person where traded-off-flagged signals to compare are possible) how that is a lousy signal. Again, can't be done in printed text.

Your best bet is to hook up with someone proficient in your area, and trade off flagged signals, to see what he's trying to isolate. And how he'd "call" various signals. Why he'd chase or pass a particular signal, etc... It has to be someone proficient, who is routinely bringing in old coins. Not just a sandbox hunter type. Preferably with the same machine as your (so the signals you're hearing are the same).

I can dig it

Mar 6, 2014
KCMO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes depending on conditions bad signals can sometimes be good targets. So goes the never ending desire for a better detector.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is my simple answer to your not so simple question. For the next month concentrate on the sound itself, not the tone. is the sound scratchy? Is it full and "round?" Is it short, long? Is the signal solid from two different directions? Does it only sound when you sweep left, but not right? You can hear it pushing the coil forward and backward, but it disappears when you swing left to right.

If you simply pay attention to each tone you hear, regardless of "High, Middle, or Low," it will snap in your head one day after a couple of months of digging all repeating targets, what the tones and their quality are saying to you. :skullflag:

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My question-when using an ace 250 a signal is never guaranteed -- for example a good solid high tone will sometimes be a deep piece of iron or a coin-silver or copper--so should I also believe that iron signals are not always going to be accurate--like can a deep iron signal be a coin or good object. Does anyone know what I'm asking.. Our high or mid tone signals are not always high or mid tone objects-- so does that also correlate to the iron signals--will they also sometimes be a high or mid tone object.

It's not just your detector, it's how they work. As I understand it, detectors work on a field generated and received by the coil. The detector then detects any changes in this field. The detector interprets this change in the field based upon the "conductivity" of the item causing the change in the field. Your VDI and tones are calibrated for coin sized objects. As long as you have coins changing this field, the detector will interpret the change accurately unless it's on the edge of its range. Basically a larger piece of iron with poor conductivity can register as a smaller piece of silver with higher conductivity.

That's why your detector thinks it's found a silver quarter when it's a coke can two feet deep. The detector sees this coke can's conductivity changing the field at two feet as the same as a silver quarter within its normal range....

As stated by Terry, practice on the "quality" of the tone. Junk usually sounds like, well junk. Even if you get that silver quarter tone, is it repetitive from all four directions and doesn't change or crackle? I also learned to raise your detector. It may say a quarter at 6 inches but if you raise your coil while scanning, it can't be a quarter if your detector is still beeping while swinging a foot or more above it. Also move the detector around while pinpointing and get an idea of the size of the object. Coins, rings, etc, are usually "small" in width. Big pieces of junk are wider and cover more ground in your swing.

Keep digging everything, just tell yourself what you think it is before you dig. It will grow on you to where you skip the worst pieces of junk.

dave_e

Aug 30, 2015
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend,
Rutus Atrex,
Minelab Equinox 600,
Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skippy and others are right. You have to dig more signals with lower end detectors.

Your Ace only has 3 sounds. There is no tone nuance in the sound like higher end detectors, but there are slightly scratchy variations of those 3 sounds.

Think about where you're detecting, what is likely to be there, and at what depth it should be.

I found an 1863 Dix token by and old barn with my Ace 350. I dug it because of how deep it was, not because of what the machine thought it was. (iron)

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent reply Terry

I boils down to practice

When I 1st bought my 250 I was confused like he was. I had a $69 detector before that and did ok with it. I thought the 250 was rocket science when I bought it. After 3 months I was very proficient with it. My grandson has it now and he is very good with it. I mean he does as good as I do with an At Pro and my V3i. He don't get the depth and digs more tabs and bottle caps.

Whiplash00

Jan 21, 2016
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, deep coins can have iron tones and heavily rusted or flat iron can false high tones. Try removing some soil over the target and sweep it again. That sometimes will clear up the tone and might save you some digging. I got that advice on here and it does help.

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As most have already said, the more of those you dig, the more you will understand what your machine is telling you. Sometimes a small iron target will alter the good sound of a nearby coin or good target. That's when sweeping your target from different directions is helpful. Back when I used an XLT, I bought a 2 1/2 dollar gold coin to test on my machines. At just 3 inches deep my XLT ided the coin as a nail, can't remember the numbers, but I would never have dug that target looking at that ID. My sov. gt does much better with gold, no screen or ID to look at. Trust what you hear more than what your machine's ID tells you. Kevin

OP
OP
L

lost it

Aug 24, 2015
new england
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everyone for your replies, your knowledge, your input, your 2 cents.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is my simple answer to your not so simple question. For the next month concentrate on the sound itself, not the tone. is the sound scratchy? Is it full and "round?" Is it short, long? Is the signal solid from two different directions? Does it only sound when you sweep left, but not right? You can hear it pushing the coil forward and backward, but it disappears when you swing left to right.

If you simply pay attention to each tone you hear, regardless of "High, Middle, or Low," it will snap in your head one day after a couple of months of digging all repeating targets, what the tones and their quality are saying to you. :skullflag:

What you say is true....on my M6, sometimes a good full sound left to right indicates a nickel, but forward and back not so good. I will dig anyway and 99% of the time, it's a nickel! Excellent info, Terry!:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread