What's new

A small ash tray(yes) with a mother and child’s scene on the bottom.

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2008
Messages
1,601
Reaction score
220
Golden Thread
0
Location
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 900
I dug this up a weeks back, it sure looks like a ash tray to me but I find it strange to have a mother and child scene on the bottom? It's about 2"L x 2"W x 1 3/4"H, thanks for any comments in advance.

TommNJ
 

Attachments

  • close up.webp
    close up.webp
    25.5 KB · Views: 526
  • small bowl ashtry.webp
    small bowl ashtry.webp
    78.6 KB · Views: 544
  • ash try bttom.webp
    ash try bttom.webp
    69.1 KB · Views: 522
  • spoon rest.webp
    spoon rest.webp
    107.6 KB · Views: 444
Re: A small ash tray(?) with a mother and child’s scene on the bottom.

After looking at the links posted, I will have to agree its an old pewter or pot metal personal ashtray. How old I do not know.

I remember smoking on airplanes and elevators lol. It wasnt always illegal.
 
Upvote 0
Re: A small ash tray(?) with a mother and child’s scene on the bottom.

diggummup said:
TommNJ said:
Thank you everyone for your time, comments, and reference links :icon_thumright: ! I'm going to go with the spoon rest for now being it has the child's scene but do like the other suggestions too.

Thanks again,
TommNJ
That's fine, call it what you will but, it's still a personal ashtray. They come in all shapes and sizes and are often mistaken for, or double as spoon rests. I have never seen a spoon rest with that particular type of protrusion on it.
Here are some examples of spoon rests -
http://www.etsy.com/search/vintage?q=spoon+rest&view_type=gallery&ship_to=US&page=2 and http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trk...=spoon rest&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1513&_pgn=2
and here are examples of personal ashtrays -
http://www.etsy.com/search/vintage?q=personal+ashtray&view_type=gallery&ship_to=US and
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l2736&_nkw=personal+ashtray.

I think it's quite clear, it's an ashtray. Just remember, smoking wasn't as taboo as it is now. It was hip and cool. Christ, I could smoke when I was in HS. They had a designated smoking area. Could also wear a buck knife on my side. That was in the early 80's. Try that now and you'll be arrested. Welcome to the new, improved Amerika.
IronSpike said:
Try to take a pic with a cigarette as size reference ;D

Good examples of personal ashtrays diggummup :icon_thumright:

This one measures 1.5" x 1.5"

http://www.aspireauctions.com/auction78/details/17086.html
bigcypresshunter said:
After looking at the links posted, I will have to agree its an old pewter or pot metal personal ashtray. How old I do not know.

I remember smoking on airplanes and elevators lol. It wasnt always illegal.

Point well taken guys, I guess I'm in denial, I was hoping it is was something more unusual and different than a ashtray. I have a local antique shop in town, when I get the chance I will get their opinion on the ashtray, I mean item.

Thanks again :icon_thumright:
TommNJ
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
Re: A small ash tray(?) with a mother and child’s scene on the bottom.

TommNJ said:
I have a local antique shop in town, when I get the chance I will get their opinion on the ashtray, I mean item.

Thanks again :icon_thumright:
TommNJ
Let us know anything you find out. Im leaning toward ashtray but it somehow looks older. How old are cigarettes?
 
Upvote 0
Re: A small ash tray(?) with a mother and child’s scene on the bottom.

Found this. http://healthliteracy.worlded.org/docs/tobacco/Unit1/2history_of.html

It was not until James Bonsack invented the cigarette-making machine in 1881 that cigarette smoking became widespread.

So its looking like an old ashtray. :icon_thumright: I would still like to see a picture with an unfiltered cigarette sitting in it . Kinda hard to visualize its fit.
 
Upvote 0
Re: A small ash tray(?) with a mother and child’s scene on the bottom.

:icon_thumright: Just stopped in at the local antique shop (which sells mostly old furniture) . He says it "is a asytray" made of pot metal from approx. the 1950s, probably part of a set. Thanks again everyone!

TommNJ
 
Upvote 0
TommNJ said:
:icon_thumright: Just stopped in at the local antique shop (which sells mostly old furniture) . He says it "is a asytray" made of pot metal from approx. the 1950s, probably part of a set. Thanks again everyone!

TommNJ

Thanks for the update TommNJ :icon_thumright:

Haven't yet found a match, but will remember the image :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom