What's new

A small ash tray(yes) with a mother and child’s scene on the bottom.

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2008
Messages
1,601
Reaction score
220
Golden Thread
0
Location
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 900
I dug this up a weeks back, it sure looks like a ash tray to me but I find it strange to have a mother and child scene on the bottom? It's about 2"L x 2"W x 1 3/4"H, thanks for any comments in advance.

TommNJ
 

Attachments

  • close up.webp
    close up.webp
    25.5 KB · Views: 526
  • small bowl ashtry.webp
    small bowl ashtry.webp
    78.6 KB · Views: 544
  • ash try bttom.webp
    ash try bttom.webp
    69.1 KB · Views: 522
  • spoon rest.webp
    spoon rest.webp
    107.6 KB · Views: 444
Re: A small ash tray(?) with a mother and child’s scene on the bottom.

could be a spoon rest
 
Upvote 0
Re: A small ash tray(?) with a mother and child’s scene on the bottom.

I say it's a salter.......a little dish with a small spoon for dishing out small amounts of, you guessed it, salt ;D I have seen them many times in antique stores and my wife told me what they are as well as hat pins and perfume buttons and a lot of other girly stuff :'( Cheers, Shanegalang

http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&h...6&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=0CGAQrQMwBg&tx=74&ty=75
 
Upvote 0
Re: A small ash tray(?) with a mother and child’s scene on the bottom.

Agree :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
Re: A small ash tray(?) with a mother and child’s scene on the bottom.

shanegalang said:
I say it's a salter.......a little dish with a small spoon for dishing out small amounts of, you guessed it, salt ;D I have seen them many times in antique stores and my wife told me what they are as well as hat pins and perfume buttons and a lot of other girly stuff :'( Cheers, Shanegalang

http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&h...6&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=0CGAQrQMwBg&tx=74&ty=75
I need to start paying attention in class! I always wondered why they made those little asthrays. :icon_scratch: I think I have a glass one on the table that I use for tiny screws and such.
 
Upvote 0
Re: A small ash tray(?) with a mother and child’s scene on the bottom.

BCH, you might wanta take that out of use as a junk holder. Looks like pink depression glass to me. Not worth a whole lot, but they don't make it any more. - Noodle
 
Upvote 0
Re: A small ash tray(?) with a mother and child’s scene on the bottom.

Although it could have been used for salt, I think it's a spoon rest because most salt pots were deeper as not to spill salt. Spilling salt was considered bad luck. Also, most salt pots didn't have a cut-out for the spoon, and if they did, it had a lid. It is the correct size for a spoon rest too. Neat find, Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Re: A small ash tray(?) with a mother and child’s scene on the bottom.

Breezie said:
Although it could have been used for salt, I think it's a spoon rest because most salt pots were deeper as not to spill salt. Spilling salt was considered bad luck. Also, most salt pots didn't have a cut-out for the spoon, and if they did, it had a lid. It is the correct size for a spoon rest too. Neat find, Breezie
Is mine a salter?
 
Upvote 0
Re: A small ash tray(?) with a mother and child’s scene on the bottom.

bigcypresshunter said:
Breezie said:
Although it could have been used for salt, I think it's a spoon rest because most salt pots were deeper as not to spill salt. Spilling salt was considered bad luck. Also, most salt pots didn't have a cut-out for the spoon, and if they did, it had a lid. It is the correct size for a spoon rest too. Neat find, Breezie
Is mine a salter?

BCH, yours looks like a 'trinket' dish. More than likely it was used for jewelry since it is heart shaped. As Noodle said, from the pic, it looks like pink Depression Glass. ;D Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Re: A small ash tray(?) with a mother and child’s scene on the bottom.

I can't see it as a salter; the image would always be covered with salt.
Based on the image of a mother and children, I thought it might be a child's medicine dose device.
Fill the reservoir with medicine and pour it into the kid's mouth.
Don.....(shooting from the hip).
 
Upvote 0
Re: A small ash tray(?) with a mother and child’s scene on the bottom.

I thought perhaps it could be a childs feeding dish with a spoon rest.
 
Upvote 0
Re: A small ash tray(?) with a mother and child’s scene on the bottom.

Breezie said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Breezie said:
Although it could have been used for salt, I think it's a spoon rest because most salt pots were deeper as not to spill salt. Spilling salt was considered bad luck. Also, most salt pots didn't have a cut-out for the spoon, and if they did, it had a lid. It is the correct size for a spoon rest too. Neat find, Breezie
Is mine a salter?

BCH, yours looks like a 'trinket' dish. More than likely it was used for jewelry since it is heart shaped. As Noodle said, from the pic, it looks like pink Depression Glass. ;D Breezie
Ok thanks. When I googled salter trying to find a match for the OPs item, I found small thick glass dishes like mine sold as salters. (its small) Also its not pink. I dont know why it looks pink.
 
Upvote 0
Re: A small ash tray(?) with a mother and child’s scene on the bottom.

Is the man in lower left smoking a pibe :D I think it's an ashtray :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
Re: A small ash tray(?) with a mother and child’s scene on the bottom.

IronSpike said:
Is the man in lower left smoking a pibe :D I think it's an ashtray :icon_thumright:

IronSpike, looking at the photo, the item looks large, but in reality he said it was only 2 inches by 2 inches, which was make a very tiny ashtray since the average cigarette length is longer than that. :D Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Re: A small ash tray(?) with a mother and child’s scene on the bottom.

It's a personal ashtray.
 
Upvote 0
Re: A small ash tray(?) with a mother and child’s scene on the bottom.

IronSpike said:
At 5 cm these ashtrays are just short of 2 inches.

http://ooomydesign.bigcartel.com/product/beach-ashtray
Beach ashtray? What will they think of next? :laughing9: Whatever happened to field stripping?


Actually its a good idea for the butts if you dont have a trash bag or can nearby. :-\
 
Upvote 0
Re: A small ash tray(?) with a mother and child’s scene on the bottom.

Thank you everyone for your time, comments, and reference links :icon_thumright: ! I'm going to go with the spoon rest for now being it has the child's scene but do like the other suggestions too.

Thanks again,
TommNJ
 
Upvote 0
Re: A small ash tray(?) with a mother and child’s scene on the bottom.

TommNJ said:
Thank you everyone for your time, comments, and reference links :icon_thumright: ! I'm going to go with the spoon rest for now being it has the child's scene but do like the other suggestions too.

Thanks again,
TommNJ
That's fine, call it what you will but, it's still a personal ashtray. They come in all shapes and sizes and are often mistaken for, or double as spoon rests. I have never seen a spoon rest with that particular type of protrusion on it.
Here are some examples of spoon rests -
http://www.etsy.com/search/vintage?q=spoon+rest&view_type=gallery&ship_to=US&page=2 and http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trk...=spoon rest&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1513&_pgn=2
and here are examples of personal ashtrays -
http://www.etsy.com/search/vintage?q=personal+ashtray&view_type=gallery&ship_to=US and
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l2736&_nkw=personal+ashtray.

I think it's quite clear, it's an ashtray. Just remember, smoking wasn't as taboo as it is now. It was hip and cool. Christ, I could smoke when I was in HS. They had a designated smoking area. Could also wear a buck knife on my side. That was in the early 80's. Try that now and you'll be arrested. Welcome to the new, improved Amerika.
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0

Attachments

  • 16604-06.webp
    16604-06.webp
    7.1 KB · Views: 469
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom