A SWORD with a mystery

Rooster Cogburn

Jan 19, 2009
Fort Smith Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 + PROformance coil/ Vibra-probe 580 / Waitin' for enough finds to finance an AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok. I know I have a sword, but there's some mystery around it, where it was found, and what little information I've been able to gleen. If it takes a while to load, I apologize, I thought it better to have plenty of photos for you experts out there :notworthy:

I have lots of pictures that I will post and have many questions, that perhaps, someone on this great site can answer. A few of the things I'm wondering is does it have real gold? Does anyone have ability to look up the fellow listed on the sword and give me some history? Anyone ever heard of this group I think it's connected to? What might it be worth? AND has anyone ever seen a sword detailed quite like this one?

First a little history: Several decades ago, my departed uncle owned a store along Garrison Avenue in Fort Smith Arkansas, just a few blocks from the old Fort Smith and Hanging Judge Issac C. Parker's court house. Apparently not long after taking ownership of the place, he was cleaning out a back room of the store and found this:

5419445973_86b4b8f0aa_o.jpg

My family assumed it was from around the Civil War or some such. Many years later, uncle gave all of what you are about to see to my father and a few years back, my dad gave it to me. Since then, it's mainly sat in my closet. From time to time I'd jump on the net and try to resarch it, but never could find that much out about it. I was hopiing the world wide resources of Treasure Net could be brought to bear :hello2: I know this is the section for a good mystery so... here we go.

We noted it was very ornate on the scabbard and throughout:
5420050358_48af72616e_o.jpg

The reason I asked about the possibility of gold, was because the brass rings are much more dull...
5420050432_67cc2fe308_o.jpg

Note the detail work up higer on the scabbard...
5419446227_84d9a59666_o.jpg

There is acid etching on the blade...
5419446301_bdd6675529_o.jpg

I've never been able to find out anything about this person:
"Captain E.T. Eubanks
Commisary 2nd Regt.
U. R. ?. ?. Pittsburg, Kan."
5420050638_00717ddf9b_o.jpg

There's beautiful etching on both sides, this is close to the hilt on the name side of the blade:
5419446449_a920aa7543_o.jpg

This is on the opposite side: "F.C.B." on a shield below a knight's head...
5419446541_886c3d5c51_o.jpg

The F.C.B. led me to some information about a society called the Knights of Pythias (A group I've never heard of). FCB meaning Fraternity, Charity, Benevolance. I have even seen some of their cerimonial swords on ebay, but NOTHING like this one and I saw nothing online about ranks of Captain in their group.

More pictures...

5420050824_b91d0cc378_o.jpg

On the very hilt it says: "The M.C. Lilley & Co., Columbus, OH"...
5419446701_75844df735_o.jpg

The handle is just as ornate as the rest, with what appears to be a blueish sharks skin grip, wrapped in a braided gold looking metal, with the letters U. R. and a flower. It all comes from the mouth of a lion, on the reverse of the lion, a knights helmet.

5419446833_3964d3eb2d_o.jpg

5419446779_2ff3c4a4b9_o.jpg

Also found with the sword & scabbard, was an outer leather case that is deteriorating and an inner soft sheath AND the dress belt, buckle, and attachments...
5420051392_b6a2e23302_o.jpg

It would appear that Captain Eubanks, got promoted to Major at some point:
5420051460_7735ff6e02_o.jpg

The buckle. I believe the U. R. means Uniformed Ranks? ...
5419447393_e4a9e98e60_o.jpg

The back of the buckle...
5419447619_5aaf0efd14_o.jpg

Here's a wide shot of the whole assembley...
5419447467_91ac50faec_o.jpg

So, there we are. perhaps someone here has an ancestory account and can look this fellow up, or maybe there's a sword expert that can tell me what I have and if there's any value to it all. I'm just very curious as to it's history and how it made it's way from Pittsburg, KS to Fort Smith, AR. I do know that Union troops came to Fort Smith by way of Kansas and NW Arkansas, but I'm not sure if there's really a connection there.

Well... thanks for looking :wave: :coffee2:

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW! That is a beautiful! I hope you find out some information on that and when you do, don't forget to tell us.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rooster Cogburn

Rooster Cogburn

Jan 19, 2009
Fort Smith Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 + PROformance coil/ Vibra-probe 580 / Waitin' for enough finds to finance an AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy cow that's great to know! Thank you so much!

Upvote 0

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
Found Edwin T. Eubanks' widow Laura and sons Everett and Roy living in Fort Smith, Arkansas in the 1930 census :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
found a button with a "colorado state seal " front on it made in the late 1870's from a M C Lilly company from ohio --gave it to my nephew --it was a indain war era type cuff button --most likely from the colorado state guard units.

looks like a dress quality sword that is fully useful as a battle weapon as well -- pattern looks to be a calvary model type of sword due to the wrist guard --it of course looks to have gold gilded parts *

I think you have a fairly high ranking capt / later major military mans sword --who was also a member of the knights of pythias as well -- so its a "blended" item --

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rooster Cogburn

Rooster Cogburn

Jan 19, 2009
Fort Smith Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for helping me!!

I started digging after bramblefind's first post and just a few minutes ago, I found out when he died. I found a search function, which they didn't use to have, at the Kansas Historical Society:

http://www.kshs.org/genealogy/genea...gies/search/surname:eubanks/sndx:true/fname:e

He died 26 Feb. 1914 and it was announced in some local paper (K.P. Lodge No. 65, Pittsburg).

They left the S off his last name, but the city is right. I guess they used to list the death notices by fraternal organizations, even if they died in another town. Suppose they still do that today, don't they? I mean if there's a connection to an old town.

Years ago I went to the Kansas Historical website, but there was no info.

I'm in awe of the fact that this guy may have been in a Confederate prison camp. wow.

You guys are GREAT. :icon_salut:

Upvote 0

oldcoon

Jul 10, 2010
Middletown, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't tell you much about this sword except its a presentation grade, and most likely never smelled gunpowder. Probably only carried on ceremonial occasions.

Upvote 0

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
the Uniform Rank (UR) was instituted as the uniform branch of the KoP in the late 1880s, different swords were associated with each specific rank. There were Knights, Sergeants, Field Officers,Staff Officers, and Medical Staff with a different pattern for each group. The officers swords were curved 1870 style sabers with lions head pommels. All swords from the Uniform Rank have the letters UR somewhere on the hilts. Swords from years prior to the development of the Uniform Rank do not have this lettering. For Sir Knights, the sword is straight bladed with a cruciform brass hilt. The pommel is a knights head and helmet with a lion on the top, and there is a chain knuckleguard. The counterguard has a lily and the letters UR on it. The grip is leather wrapped with wire. The sergeants swords have a straight blade, a more elaborate brass hilt with a solid knuckleguard with either a leather grip with wire wrapping or an ivory grip. Field officers (Lieut. Capt, etc.) used a curved brass mounted cavalry saber similar to the US pattern of 1870 cavalry swords. For staff and Field officers (Colonel and above) the swords were again straight bladed and had elaborate hilts with ivory grips. Medical staff used swords similar to the 1840 Army Medical staff and/or paymasters swords. These had the letters MD for Medical Department on them, diffentiating them from military medical swords which have MS for Medical Service.
# Knights sword from the Uniform Rank, Cruciform hilt, knights head pommel with lion on helmet, gryphon quillon, counterguard with letters "UR" and a lily, brass mountings, leather grip, single twist of wire around grip, chain knuckleguard.

The sword company " the M.C. Lilley & Co. Columbus, OH." was in business from 1882-1925.

Nova Treasure

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rooster Cogburn

Rooster Cogburn

Jan 19, 2009
Fort Smith Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great info Nova. Thank you!

Upvote 0

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a fine piece of history you have.
My grand father was a 33rd. degree Master Mason and was his father before him;
Great grand father was a horse riding circuit judge after the civil war.
I found some Knights of Pythias items with his belongings but could never find out much about them. Pre-internet time.
The sword is part of there dress attire and used in ceremonies.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rooster Cogburn

Rooster Cogburn

Jan 19, 2009
Fort Smith Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bumpstick said:
It is a fine piece of history you have.
My grand father was a 33rd. degree Master Mason and was his father before him;
Great grand father was a horse riding circuit judge after the civil war.
I found some Knights of Pythias items with his belongings but could never find out much about them. Pre-internet time.
The sword is part of there dress attire and used in ceremonies.

That's the same issue I've always had, was a lack of info. I just want to say thank you again to everyone who has taken time out of their day to look into this and the man behind it.

I really do appreciate any information that can be sourced on it.

Upvote 0

helsesser

Jan 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a very similar sword -- identical. It was my great grandfather's so you would think I would know more than I do.

All I know is that my great-grandfather was a doctor in the Columbus, OH Area, and was a Mason. I was told it was a ceremonial sword for the Masons, and given his age and the MC Lilley & Co dates, these are from around 1900.

Good luck and keep us posted if you find anything else!

Yours,
Henry

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
RC ~

Amazing backroom find. No doubt you intend to keep it, but likely the entire outfit is worth a hefty $500.00+ to a collector, if not considerbly more based on the condition.

Below is a scan from a 1904 Knight of Pythias book I have. I thought you might get a kick out of seeing a couple of pages from it in case you ever want to play soldier. The pages shown will instruct you on how to properly draw the saber/sword. Its a little confusing at first, but once you read through it a couple of times and practice, practice, practice, I'm sure you will get the hang of it eventually. To get you started, I will pretend I'm the instructor and start out with the command ...

"Draw Saber"

Please let us know when you have the procedure down pat. And good luck.

:icon_salut:

Signed ... Commander Bob

[ Use the slide-bar at bottom of scan to read more easily ~ That's an order! ]

Attachments

• Knights of Pythias 1904 Book - Drill Regulations - Saber.jpg
    Knights of Pythias 1904 Book - Drill Regulations - Saber.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 2,199
Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the uniform rank * for the knights of pythias was started in 1884 * - if my memory is correct * so the sword with the "U R" (uniform rank) marking must post date then --late 1880's thru early 1910 / 1920 time frame most likely time frame era.

Upvote 0

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
When i saw the flower on the scabbard tip in pic 2 i thought "Sodabottlebob's gonna be all over this!" as he did a mass of research on the last KoP item that cropped up. Thought he'd have been able to tell you who made it, what he had for dinner the night it was completed, and who the guys daughter was secretly dating by now! lol :tongue3:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread