What's new

A Tale of 2 Silvers (One Being 340 Years Old!)

romeo-1

Gold Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2005
Messages
9,863
Reaction score
7,127
Golden Thread
3
Location
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got permission for a new site on Thursday which I knew was just loaded with potential. It's on a hill over a river in the heart of Acadian and Loyalist territory. I only had an hour on Thursday so I combed the site but didn't immediately find an actual site. I picked up several flat buttons and lots of lead so I knew I was in the neighbourhood. This morning I had a couple hours before family obligations so I went back to start where I left off on Thursday.

First target was this partially squashed sporting button...good start but not quite old enough...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437841193.050900.webp

After another 20 minutes without anything except some horse tack I got that unmistakeable silver tone. Very carefully I dug the target and I see the gleam of silver in the hole. Images of Spanish silver start flashing in my head until I pull the 1963 silver dime.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437842473.944748.webp

I hate being on an old site and pulling modern silver...very bittersweet. Dauntless I keep detecting and just as I'm about to wrap it up for the day I get another decent tone...not as high as the silver dime but still in that silver range. Once again I carefully dig my hole and see what I immediately know is old silver...it's got that old silver tone that we all look for...and sure enough it's a 1675 French silver 4 Sol...just what I was hoping to find! Even has a very nice lustre that I have not seen on this type of coin before.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437841929.558019.webp

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437841956.791391.webp

A return trip is definitely in my near future...luckily it's quite a large area so it should keep me busy for a while!
 
Last edited:
Upvote 108
Wow that's a killer old silver bud. That would keep me coming back for awhile. The toning is amazing. Vinos 8R had that nice rainbow look as well

I was quite surprised with the rainbow tone...not sure if that is environmental or remaining lustre...whatever it is it's quite appealing!
 
I love the toning on that one. You see it on Morgan's, but I don't remember seeing it on a coin as old as yours. Great find! Hope you get many more nice ones like that. PS, I like the sporting button too. Looks like a cheetah?
 
Great going Romeo! That's a very early and rarely seen French silver, and one that just doesn't turn up down my way at all. Looks to have outstanding detail and should clean up quite nicely. I'm envious man!!
 
I love the toning on that one. You see it on Morgan's, but I don't remember seeing it on a coin as old as yours. Great find! Hope you get many more nice ones like that. PS, I like the sporting button too. Looks like a cheetah?

I like the sporting button too! I was quite content when I dug that and knew I was on the right track! I think you're right...a cheetah...
 
Great going Romeo! That's a very early and rarely seen French silver, and one that just doesn't turn up down my way at all. Looks to have outstanding detail and should clean up quite nicely. I'm envious man!!

High praise considering your signature line list...thank you!
 
Your button probably falls under the category of livery buttons. The tail looks like a lion's, but the head doesn't look quite right (but maybe its for a female). You can check some similar ones out in the link below to see for yourself. Just scroll down to the lions about 2/3s down the page.

liverybuttons
 
Your button probably falls under the category of livery buttons. The tail looks like a lion's, but the head doesn't look quite right (but maybe its for a female). You can check some similar ones out in the link below to see for yourself. Just scroll down to the lions about 2/3s down the page.

liverybuttons

What exactly is the difference between a Livery button and a Sporting button? I called mine a Sporting button because the backmark is actually "Sporting New Designs".
 
Last edited:
My gosh romeo, what a beautiful looking coin! :occasion14:

Man you're so lucky to have such rich history in your part of the country! :thumbsup:

Dave
 
Thank you so much for sharing your history. I would have never known about a coin like that.. Awesome job
 
Nice narrative in making the jump the modern silver to near oldest silver that you can get. 17th century silver is hard to get. That's one majestic looking coin. :o
 
What exactly is the difference between a Livery button and a Sporting button? I actually called mine a Sporting button because the backmark is actually "Sporting New Designs".

The livery buttons I've found bore crests of the families that lived on the plantations I've detected on so they probably represented a family or company. Sporting buttons were just that....they represented the sport or the hunt club. I've found livery buttons with birds on them so I thought they were sporting buttons but I found out the bird was a crow and it was symbolic of the family who owned the property so I guess it could get confusing, lol.
 
Btw you've got my Banner vote bud. If a 1600s silver coin in gorgeous condition isn't worthy what the hell is? That toning is incredible. Making me wanna get to a nice 17th century site ASAP 8-)
 
Looks like an untouched spot for sure! Nice looking pieces!
 
I was quite surprised with the rainbow tone...not sure if that is environmental or remaining lustre...whatever it is it's quite appealing!


Pretty sure that's all toning and not mint lustre. Something in the ground had an effect on it, not sure what, but came out nice. It's uncommon to see lustre on any dug coin, even one 1/4 as old. There was one posted recently on the Canadian forum that had it, and it did because it was protected by other coins, and wasn't very old. (early 1900s)
 
Pretty sure that's all toning and not mint lustre. Something in the ground had an effect on it, not sure what, but came out nice. It's uncommon to see lustre on any dug coin, even one 1/4 as old. There was one posted recently on the Canadian forum that had it, and it did because it was protected by other coins, and wasn't very old. (early 1900s)

Yeah, that makes sense.
 
Given the area you live in any good looking field holds a lot if potential, you've just proven the point.
Very nice old French coin, a favourite find of many east coasters!
 
That one must be up there as the best find this year?
 
That one must be up there as the best find this year?

Yep...but I hope to best that today...or tomorrow...or the next day...that's what keeps us going in this hobby!
 
Your button probably falls under the category of livery buttons. The tail looks like a lion's, but the head doesn't look quite right (but maybe its for a female). You can check some similar ones out in the link below to see for yourself. Just scroll down to the lions about 2/3s down the page.

liverybuttons

Have to disagree with that. Its what I call a Hunts Button, but you say sporting.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom