What's new

A Tale of 2 Silvers (One Being 340 Years Old!)

romeo-1

Gold Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2005
Messages
9,863
Reaction score
7,127
Golden Thread
3
Location
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got permission for a new site on Thursday which I knew was just loaded with potential. It's on a hill over a river in the heart of Acadian and Loyalist territory. I only had an hour on Thursday so I combed the site but didn't immediately find an actual site. I picked up several flat buttons and lots of lead so I knew I was in the neighbourhood. This morning I had a couple hours before family obligations so I went back to start where I left off on Thursday.

First target was this partially squashed sporting button...good start but not quite old enough...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437841193.050900.webp

After another 20 minutes without anything except some horse tack I got that unmistakeable silver tone. Very carefully I dug the target and I see the gleam of silver in the hole. Images of Spanish silver start flashing in my head until I pull the 1963 silver dime.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437842473.944748.webp

I hate being on an old site and pulling modern silver...very bittersweet. Dauntless I keep detecting and just as I'm about to wrap it up for the day I get another decent tone...not as high as the silver dime but still in that silver range. Once again I carefully dig my hole and see what I immediately know is old silver...it's got that old silver tone that we all look for...and sure enough it's a 1675 French silver 4 Sol...just what I was hoping to find! Even has a very nice lustre that I have not seen on this type of coin before.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437841929.558019.webp

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437841956.791391.webp

A return trip is definitely in my near future...luckily it's quite a large area so it should keep me busy for a while!
 
Last edited:
Upvote 108
Man, that's some killer stuff there. I'm torn between the button and the coin.
 
Wow that coin is amazing! With that much age and as crisp as it is, not to mention the amazing rainbow toning. Banner find in my opinion
 
Romeo,

Good catch and beautiful condition....banner vote on the way.

Regards + HH

Bill
 
Thanks all...I appreciate all the comments!
 
wow!, how did I miss this post earlier!, 1675??? holy crap that's awesome, I really like the toning on it, im voting banner!
 
That's a beautiful coin there!
 
I'd be happy if I found just the dime! Haha
Silver is scarce it seems for me right now. Hope that changes soon. That is one nice French coin. Congrats! [emoji2]
 
I'd be happy if I found just the dime! Haha
Silver is scarce it seems for me right now. Hope that changes soon. That is one nice French coin. Congrats! [emoji2]

Thanks! Silver seems to be quite rare for me as well so I was fortunate to get 2 in one hunt...although the types of sites I hunt and am more likely to find older silver as opposed to newer which made the 53 dime a bittersweet surprise.
 
What a BEAUTY!
 
Sweet ! French Silver, A 1600's Silver is still on my top ten list.
Got a 1650's copper last year so maybe...
This was two days ago, did you get back ?
Hard to imagine any virgin sites left in your area.
I have got to get out, can't find anything in here.
 
Fantastic old silver. Great detail on that one. I say BANNER!
 
Banner find in my books and hope one day to get one under my coil…congrats buddy
 
Thanks! Silver seems to be quite rare for me as well so I was fortunate to get 2 in one hunt...although the types of sites I hunt and am more likely to find older silver as opposed to newer which made the 53 dime a bittersweet surprise.

I have to start going a little further out of my way soon for spots i guess. My area has been great to me for silvers but i hit them all hard because how close they are. With the long grass right now I'm even more limited for old places. There are lots more untouched places close to me but that means some door knocking to get at them! [emoji2]
 
Congrats Romeo of finding the old rare Silver ..cheers mick
 
Fantastic old silver. Great detail on that one. I say BANNER!

I'm surprised that you haven't found one considering the sites you hunt...any French silver at all?
 
I'm just glad I left Tony at home...he would have been swimming back to the car if he had found this!

I did managed to find a couple of silvers, one Canadian and one Spanish 1784 Spanish half reale. Luckily Patrick wasn't there so I didn't have to swim home :laughing7:

1784 Spanish half reale back.webp1784 Spanish half reale front.webp1920 5 cents back.webp1920 5 cents front.webp
 
That toning is spectacular! Absoulutely stunning coin! I love the French coins! I know exactly what you mean about digging modern silver at old sites. So frustrating, but hey it's silver! Anyway, WTG on that 4 sol!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom