What's new

A Tale of 2 Silvers (One Being 340 Years Old!)

romeo-1

Gold Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2005
Messages
9,863
Reaction score
7,127
Golden Thread
3
Location
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got permission for a new site on Thursday which I knew was just loaded with potential. It's on a hill over a river in the heart of Acadian and Loyalist territory. I only had an hour on Thursday so I combed the site but didn't immediately find an actual site. I picked up several flat buttons and lots of lead so I knew I was in the neighbourhood. This morning I had a couple hours before family obligations so I went back to start where I left off on Thursday.

First target was this partially squashed sporting button...good start but not quite old enough...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437841193.050900.webp

After another 20 minutes without anything except some horse tack I got that unmistakeable silver tone. Very carefully I dug the target and I see the gleam of silver in the hole. Images of Spanish silver start flashing in my head until I pull the 1963 silver dime.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437842473.944748.webp

I hate being on an old site and pulling modern silver...very bittersweet. Dauntless I keep detecting and just as I'm about to wrap it up for the day I get another decent tone...not as high as the silver dime but still in that silver range. Once again I carefully dig my hole and see what I immediately know is old silver...it's got that old silver tone that we all look for...and sure enough it's a 1675 French silver 4 Sol...just what I was hoping to find! Even has a very nice lustre that I have not seen on this type of coin before.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437841929.558019.webp

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437841956.791391.webp

A return trip is definitely in my near future...luckily it's quite a large area so it should keep me busy for a while!
 
Last edited:
Upvote 108
Great coin and looks like some nice toning. Curious to see it after the dirt is removed.
 
Great looking coin for being so old! Very nice score there!
 
Wow, that old silver coin is way too cool for words.Awesome find you have unearthed there!!!
 
That is Amazing!!..I couldnt imagine finding something this old....not to mention its in AWESOME Shape


Killer Find Romeo-1!!
 
Great coin and looks like some nice toning. Curious to see it after the dirt is removed.

I'm just glad I left Tony at home...he would have been swimming back to the car if he had found this!
 
I'm just glad I left Tony at home...he would have been swimming back to the car if he had found this!

I still have the water wings that were intended for you. Want em? :laughing7:

I think your area is the only chance I'll really have for one of those. French is getting so tough here.... but still possible at the old favorites.
 
Friggin fantastic coin.
Love to see that one clean.

Killer R1.

EDIT* - Ya know... his coin is a banner in my book... just because of the "crispness" of it.
 
Last edited:
Friggin fantastic coin.
Love to see that one CAREFULLY cleaned.

Killer R1.

EDIT* - Ya know... cleaned... this coin is a banner in my book... just because of the "crispness" of it.


Unfortunately when it comes to most metal detecting forums Spanish silver gets more credit than French, even though French is usually older and posted way less often. Also the same with American Rev War buttons vs Loyalist, but I can't really complain about that because I have had two go up on the banner. I'm just talking what the average digger seems to like and be more familiar with.
 
Heh... 1675 Silver in that condition... from Spain... France... England... friggin Tim Buck Two...

Ill take it... banner or not... all day long. :)

Edited "America" to "England"... sheesh heh

PS>>> ANY coin with the first 2 digits being a 16 anything... is rare in my book.
At least for this side of the pond.
 
Last edited:
That's a great looking silver! Congratulations on the keeper, and I hope that you are going to be able to get a good many from the new site.
 
That's a great looking silver! Congratulations on the keeper, and I hope that you are going to be able to get a good many from the new site.

There's a good chance this could be the new "goto site" for a few weeks anyway...lot's of field to detect!
 
Wow that's a killer old silver bud. That would keep me coming back for awhile. The toning is amazing. Vinos 8R had that nice rainbow look as well
 
That 1675 is killer
 
Unfortunately when it comes to most metal detecting forums Spanish silver gets more credit than French, even though French is usually older and posted way less often. Also the same with American Rev War buttons vs Loyalist, but I can't really complain about that because I have had two go up on the banner. I'm just talking what the average digger seems to like and be more familiar with.

I would be just as excited digging old French silver as I am digging Spanish. I have the same sentiment when it comes to forum posts. That is an outstanding coin Romeo and I'm voting banner for age and condition. It would look beautiful up top!
 
Thats a beautiful French silver in nice condition! A rare find even in my neck of the woods, not to mention the new world....Congrats, super find! :icon_thumleft:
 
HEY ROMEO MAY HAVE OUT DONE YOURSELF ON THIS ONE BRO. 1675 AND THE COIN STILL HAS A SHINE. NICE ONE.
 
Man I love that coin!
 
Incredible old silver
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom