A Terry Soloman Book Review: “The Nugget Shooter’s Field Guide,” by Reese Townes.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

A Terry Soloman Book Review: “The Nugget Shooter’s Field Guide,” by Reese Townes.
GoldSeeker Books; ISBN: 978-0-578-61746-6; 120 pages; Paperback; Color Photographs

“The Nugget Shooter’s Field Guide,” is a comprehensive deep dive into the world of gold “nuggetshooting,” exploring aspects of Alluvial; Eluvial; Colluvial; Eolian; and Residual gold deposits and mining. I first became aware of the author, Reese Townes, as a frequent and respected contributor to several gold prospecting forums that I visit regularly. A successful and knowledgeable nuggetshooter, Reese grew up in Montana, where his father was a dealer for Garrett Metal Detectors. As a boy he was enamored by stories of gold prospecting he heard in his father’s shop, and soon, was out panning and detecting for the elusive treasure himself.

As he grew older, Reese learned all he could about geology and its relation to placer gold. He listened to seasoned “Sour Dough” miners and nuggetshooters, picking their brains for the hard earned knowledge and experience he would later use to find his own nuggets and pay streaks. In his book, Reese takes the reader across the Country, from old California hydraulic mines, to ancient riverbeds, “Mass Wasting” deposits in Montana, and placer areas in Arizona deserts and mountains. His writing style is concise and refreshing, explaining methodology and complicated theory in language even I could understand.

The book is a true field guide, using color photographs to brilliantly illustrate what you are looking for when detecting tailing piles; hydraulic pits; mass wasting areas; alluvial bench deposits and more. His detecting strategies are well thought out, illustrated, and thorough. The book features a “Photo Resource Guide,” that helps the reader become familiar with different types of gold “traps” that hide nuggets when you are trying to detect them. Reese explains how to work the different deposits and how to recognize areas that may have trapped gold.

There is a chapter devoted to equipment that goes beyond the right detectors and coils. Reese explains the tools he takes into the field that he uses for crevicing, breaking up bedrock, removing roots, or hydro-shocking a nugget out of rock. He explains why he uses the machines and coils he works with, and where you can buy them.

One of the best chapters in The Nugget Shooter’s Field Guide, is “Detecting & Base Camp Safety.” Reese dives into his personal experience with putting felt soles on waders to reduce slipping on algae covered creek rocks, building simple “Boma” fences around his tent, and putting up flash/bang trip wires to deter bears, cougars, and humans from entering your camp at night.

The book is 9”x6”x.5” so it fits neatly into your daypack, and can be carried easily in the field. In my opinion this is one of the finest field guides available to nuggetshooters learning how to be successful out on the claims. Add The Nugget Shooter’s Field Guide to your library today!

Attachments

• IMG_4465.jpg
    IMG_4465.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
Thanks Terry.
With all the amazing free resources we have available in places like this forum I was trying to decide whether it would be worth spending the money on, but you sold me! Merry Christmas to me!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank T',
This is something I've always wanted to do, so I'm gonna order this book. Only prospecting I've ever done for native gold has been washing sands and gravel. Seeing what folks have found in nugget detection, seems to me the best way a lone prospector will gain real results in this day and age. I'm always thinking of what the old timers never found when I'm out driving in our wonderful American West.

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is a good book, Reese did a good thorough job on it! Leans toward geology and clues.....

Stilllookin Dave

Aug 2, 2017
North Central,Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre,
Tesoro Vaquero,
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Teknetics Omega 8500,
Minelab Safari,
Minelab Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That’s a great review. Thank You. I looked for it on Amazon but they didn’t seem to have it, do you know where I could find it? Dave

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Enjoyed your review Terry.

Glad Reese got it done and is now able to market it.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Book Just went on SALE!

"Hey everyone, I am running a summer sale on my book The Nugget Shooter's Field Guide - $4.95 off. I will get the promo code for you to type in to get the sale price. https://goldseekerbooks.com
Promotion code- 4.95USD-MAY21
Sale ends May 31, 2021"

Matthews940

Jan 8, 2020
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Gold Monster 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the discount code Terry. I just ordered my copy. Can't wait to read it! I can use all the help I can get.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the review Terry.Sounds very interesting,I think I,ll get a copy even tho there,s not likely any gold of that type here in S.E.Arkansas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread