vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post tocollect - so, Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

OP
OP
T

tocollect

Tenderfoot
Dec 9, 2016
Beijing
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
thank you for you advise. I'd update my profile.
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post tocollect - so, Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I have discovered from my years of experience with "collectibles" that if it says "rare" in the description it's not... If it says "limited edition" they made a million of them.. Welcome to the asylum.

OP
OP
T

tocollect

Tenderfoot
Dec 9, 2016
Beijing
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it depends how you define the rare ;) what I'm trying to find is something listed on eBay monthly or yearly.
asylum ;)

I have discovered from my years of experience with "collectibles" that if it says "rare" in the description it's not... If it says "limited edition" they made a million of them.. Welcome to the asylum.

OP
OP
T

tocollect

Tenderfoot
Dec 9, 2016
Beijing
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, of course, I have to filter the item from the limited number or result manually. at least I don't need to do the boring search ;)
it depends how you define the rare ;) what I'm trying to find is something listed on eBay monthly or yearly.
asylum ;)

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I see our newest member is from Beijing it reminded me of a little thing that happened to me this year.

I flew from Los Angeles to Tokyo with a layover in Beijing, China. To catch my flight to Tokyo from Beijing I was in a secure waiting area of their very impressive airport. I had to go through a thorough screening and show my passport and ticket. While waiting, two 20 something Chinese girls came up to me and in very good English said "can you change my $20 for two $10s?" I took the U.S 20 dollar bill and held it up to a light and exactly as expected, no watermark on the right. I gave it back and told them it was a fake, they said sorry and quickly turned and disappeared into the crowd. I thought about it for a few seconds and decided to see if I could find them and see who else they would try this scam on. But alas they blended in real well. Of course, I was in China, I expected scams like that but what got me how did these two girls get into this highly secure area?

Now let me remind everyone I used to be a cop many years ago, so basically I am leary of many things till I check them out. Also, I am retired and don't have anything else to do right now and it is 39* outside.

I checked out searchrare.com It looked pretty legit so I joined. Then I was able to find out about it more. There is a fee involved which was never mentioned by our newest member. It is only one cent per keyword per search and they do the search every hour. So if I was looking for something with one keyword it would be 24¢ per day or $87.60 a year. It is very hard to narrow down anything with one key word.

I also did a search to see who owned searchrare.com and guess what? HICHINA ZHICHENG TECHNOLOGY LTD. owns the website. So I did a search on this company. They have many websites, no big deal I have 4 or 5 myself. But i did a check on just one and this is what I found out. The Daily Scam website said this:

it turns out that the domain tips4spyware.com is owned by HICHINA ZHICHENG TECHNOLOGY LTD. In Beijing, China and hosted by Alibaba. Some of the ownership info is hidden by a proxy service. This is not what we expected for a website that seems very American and intent on helping netizens avoid or clean up spyware infections. This bit of information led us to run a Google search of the company HICHINA ZHICHENG TECHNOLOGY LTD and we saw many negative links from people to avoid this company including this thread from Scamwarners:

It also looks like the "famous" company Alibaba owns Hichina and we all know how many fakes come from that website.

Boy did I get carried away on my research. Sorry about that.

But I ask one last question, does tocollect work for HICHINA and how many other places did he spam this message to? (sorry 2 questions)

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info cyberdan!!
It might be legit site but those fees will add up real fast and I sure as he!! won't give my CC number to any company in China.

Ron, so you were a CB? Me too only I took pics of you guys building and fighting. After my 4 years in the fleet I did my reserve duty in the CBs myself. CB16 out of Port Hueneme. I was a photographer, great duty.

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It might be legit site but those fees will add up real fast and I sure as he!! won't give my CC number to any company in China.

Ron, so you were a CB? Me too only I took pics of you guys building and fighting. After my 4 years in the fleet I did my reserve duty in the CBs myself. CB16 out of Port Hueneme. I was a photographer, great duty.

Thanks for sharing! I was in and out of Hueneme between '69 and '72, lastly with MCB 10.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing! I was in and out of Hueneme between '69 and '72, lastly with MCB 10.
I know i was there in 72 and also Camp Roberts. A lot of times I had to go to the base across the street from Los Alamitos race track too.

your icon would be great for an ugly christmas sweater. My apology to the "Fighting Bee" ;)

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Since I see our newest member is from Beijing it reminded me of a little thing that happened to me this year.

I flew from Los Angeles to Tokyo with a layover in Beijing, China. To catch my flight to Tokyo from Beijing I was in a secure waiting area of their very impressive airport. I had to go through a thorough screening and show my passport and ticket. While waiting, two 20 something Chinese girls came up to me and in very good English said "can you change my $20 for two $10s?" I took the U.S 20 dollar bill and held it up to a light and exactly as expected, no watermark on the right. I gave it back and told them it was a fake, they said sorry and quickly turned and disappeared into the crowd. I thought about it for a few seconds and decided to see if I could find them and see who else they would try this scam on. But alas they blended in real well. Of course, I was in China, I expected scams like that but what got me how did these two girls get into this highly secure area?

Now let me remind everyone I used to be a cop many years ago, so basically I am leary of many things till I check them out. Also, I am retired and don't have anything else to do right now and it is 39* outside.

I checked out searchrare.com It looked pretty legit so I joined. Then I was able to find out about it more. There is a fee involved which was never mentioned by our newest member. It is only one cent per keyword per search and they do the search every hour. So if I was looking for something with one keyword it would be 24¢ per day or $87.60 a year. It is very hard to narrow down anything with one key word.

I also did a search to see who owned searchrare.com and guess what? HICHINA ZHICHENG TECHNOLOGY LTD. owns the website. So I did a search on this company. They have many websites, no big deal I have 4 or 5 myself. But i did a check on just one and this is what I found out. The Daily Scam website said this:

it turns out that the domain tips4spyware.com is owned by HICHINA ZHICHENG TECHNOLOGY LTD. In Beijing, China and hosted by Alibaba. Some of the ownership info is hidden by a proxy service. This is not what we expected for a website that seems very American and intent on helping netizens avoid or clean up spyware infections. This bit of information led us to run a Google search of the company HICHINA ZHICHENG TECHNOLOGY LTD and we saw many negative links from people to avoid this company including this thread from Scamwarners:

It also looks like the "famous" company Alibaba owns Hichina and we all know how many fakes come from that website.

Boy did I get carried away on my research. Sorry about that.

But I ask one last question, does tocollect work for HICHINA and how many other places did he spam this message to? (sorry 2 questions)
Oh look... He seems to have disappeared into the crowd as well.. lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread