a transparent pale green, blue, or yellow mineral consisting of a silicate of beryllium and aluminum, sometimes used as a gemstone

eftspa

Nov 27, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure what I found here. I'm wondering if it's not beryl?

20220203_013633.jpg

Upvote 3

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to hunt for sea glass when I was a kid. A nice piece of ocean-smoothed blue was really nice to find but a red one was like finding gold. There is a place in Russia that is a sea glass hunter's dream come true. One can find more there in one day than I could find in a lifetime here on the New England coast.
LINK : https://mybestplace.com/en/article/ussuri-bay-the-most-beautiful-glass-beach-in-the-world
I would not be surprised if some enterprising person has taken some old colored bottles and broke them up and then tumbled them. If there is a market someone will try and fake it. See Civil War and Indian Relics.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If at a 1715 beach, it would be good to watch for emeralds also. But don't think you could be metal detecting at one of them.
No, not a Florida beach.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not plan to go there for not my thing, but did I just read you guys correctly that you cannot detect the beaches around the treasure coast now? I must have misunderstood.
From about a half-mile north of Sebastion Inlet down to about 5 miles south of Ft Pierce, approximately 35 miles that you can not detect in the water unless you're are part of a treasure salvage crew. It is part of the Treasure Coast where the 1715 fleet sank and you have to pay the state for the right to recover treasure there plus the state has the first choice of 20% of all treasure found. It is also a felony to illegally detect in the water there.

The salvage companies pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for the lease rights.

You are allowed to hunt the beaches from the foot of the Dune to the low tide line and that includes the beaches adjacent to the 1715 Fleet of Spanish shipwrecks.

Some State Parks will allow metal detectors in the park. Do not bring your metal detector into a National Park in Florida, this includes all beaches and waters adjacent to the National Park.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From about a half-mile north of Sebastion Inlet down to about 5 miles south of Ft Pierce, approximately 35 miles that you can not detect in the water unless you're are part of a treasure salvage crew. It is part of the Treasure Coast where the 1715 fleet sank and you have to pay the state for the right to recover treasure there plus the state has the first choice of 20% of all treasure found. It is also a felony to illegally detect in the water there.

The salvage companies pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for the lease rights.

You are allowed to hunt the beaches from the foot of the Dune to the low tide line and that includes the beaches adjacent to the 1715 Fleet of Spanish shipwrecks.

Some State Parks will allow metal detectors in the park. Do not bring your metal detector into a National Park in Florida, this includes all beaches and waters adjacent to the National Park.
Thanks a ton, Treasure_Hunter. I think those are the same rules i read a year or so back when I was curiousn on laws there. I appreciate the answer and outline of Rules. They make perfect sense and seem fair.

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know the rules for underwater detecting around Florida's "Treasure Coast" changed about 20 years ago to protect the lease owners.
But, if I remember correctly, there is one salvor that owns some leases who you can make a deal with to work under his wing for a 50/50 split of anything you find underwater in the areas that he has the leases.
20% goes to the State & the rest is split with the lease owner.
I forget his name but I think his last name begins with the letter "B".
That's not a bad deal if you want to do some underwater detecting there. I'm sure if you ask around someone can direct you to this guy.
This was a few years ago but I think he still is around that area. It's all legal as long as you register with him as a sort of "sub contractor".
Somebody in the "Florida shipwrecks" forum might have the latest news on that stuff & what the salvor's name is.
Link to Florida shipwrecks forum: https://www.treasurenet.com/threads/florida-shipwrecks.666266/
ps. I think he was in on that find @ Vero Beach a few years back.
It was found in shallow water just around the shoreline.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you have common sea glass.....green bottles that have been broken in the past are tumbled in the surf and worn down and polished by the action of waves and sand. They are quite collectable, and green is very desirable for jewelry creators and artist !! Sprite green is very sought after and prized by the "sea glassers" and "mudlarkers" there is a large community of collectors (myself included) and some of the more perfect pieces are often termed "gem quality" because of there desirability with jewelry makers. I could be wrong, and they might be gemstones of some sort, but I'm pretty confident there sea glass. Congrats on your finds and happy hunting !! View attachment 2007735

Agreed... 100%

Last edited:

claire

Nov 24, 2008
long island ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V, MX 5, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sea glass for sure, but it is funny that you only find the same shade of green!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread