time4me
Bronze Member
- Joined
- Aug 30, 2005
- Messages
- 1,296
- Reaction score
- 44
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Detector(s) used
- E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
I went back to my favorite east coast beaches for a week of marathon detecting days with my friend and hunting partner Rick.
After a full day of travel on Wednesday, we hit the water early Thursday morning. After about 2.5 hours of clad, and the usual trash targets, Rick shot me the "thumbs up" which means GOLD RING. He had scooped up a nice and old looking 14K signet ring with very worn initials on top. Then about 30 minutes later, Rick gave me the "coffee" sign, which we will give each other after about 3 hours of early morning water hunting, when we're dying for a cup of coffee and a break for our arms. I gave him the affirmative nod, and started heading out of the water, but stopped for a good signal. Go figure, my last target of the morning was this somewhat ugly, but gold nonetheless, ring...
Over coffee, we made plans for getting back out in the late afternoon when the tides would be low again. So, about 4:30pm, we headed back out to a different stretch of beach and hit the water again. Once again, it the targets were not real numerous, and were mostly clad and trash again. I did get a big aluminum can type signal and was surprised to see a chain with a buddha pendant hanging from it. I thought it looked silver to me, and I put it in my pouch (turned out it was junk, and stuck to the magnet Rick keeps stuck in the back of his vehicle). About 2 hours into our evening hunt, I got a real low growl of a tone, and scooped up what I was sure was a white gold ring with a small diamond. I was stoked, and hooked it to my caribiner I keep clipped to my pouch. A short while later Rick came near and I gave him the "thumbs up" that I got a gold ring. But, upon inspecting it more closely with Rick, we couldn't find a stamp inside, and agreed that it felt too light to be gold. Now I was bummed, but kept swinging away. Then around 20 minutes later, and again nearing the end of our hunt, I got a signal that I was sure was a quarter or dime - relatively high but soft tone, and was shocked to see a clunker of a mens wedding band in amongst the shells and stones - 9 grams of 14K...
That was the last good target of the day for me, so I joined Rick at the car as the light of day was disappearing, happy to have two gold rings on my first day of the trip!
Friday, Saturday and Sunday were repeats of early morning hunts and evening hunts, both salt and fresh water. Gold eluded both of us these three days, but I did manage to find a decent and still working Casio watch.
Monday was out last day to hunt, as I was flying out early Tuesday morning. The weather wasn't too great on Monday morning, but it didn't keep us from hitting the water again. I started finding nickels and quarters right off the bat, and about 20 minutes into the hunt, I dug a heavy sinker. "That's a good sign" I said to myself, and then my very next target turned out to be a nice men's gold ring with black onyx and the worlds tiniest diamond...
Rick pulled up a nice clunker of a men's 14K ring with a flat top and two lines of inlayed black onyx. Then Rick scored again with a small woman's gold band. Then it was my turn and I pulled up an old gold ring that looked like it had been in the ocean for about 100 years. I mean this thing looked OLD. Whatever the stones were that are set on top, they didn't fare well after so much time in the saltwater, but the ring itself polished up pretty well...
In between the two gold rings, I found a totally black ring that I was sure was silver, and it cleaned up really well...
After 3.5 hours of hunting, probably over a hundred targets each, and four gold rings, we were both ready for coffee, so we called it a morning. Low tide was late monday night, so we took along our waterproof LED flashlights, and hit the water about an hour before dark and hunted long after dark. I managed a small 14K firefighter pendant during Monday night's hunt, and was content to head back to California with 5 pieces of gold that I didn't have before I had made the trip east just 6 days earlier...
All in all, it was a really great trip, and I had a fun time hunting with my east coast friend Rick. Here are the keepers all together, which includes a few junk rings...
Happy Hunting,
Jim
After a full day of travel on Wednesday, we hit the water early Thursday morning. After about 2.5 hours of clad, and the usual trash targets, Rick shot me the "thumbs up" which means GOLD RING. He had scooped up a nice and old looking 14K signet ring with very worn initials on top. Then about 30 minutes later, Rick gave me the "coffee" sign, which we will give each other after about 3 hours of early morning water hunting, when we're dying for a cup of coffee and a break for our arms. I gave him the affirmative nod, and started heading out of the water, but stopped for a good signal. Go figure, my last target of the morning was this somewhat ugly, but gold nonetheless, ring...
Over coffee, we made plans for getting back out in the late afternoon when the tides would be low again. So, about 4:30pm, we headed back out to a different stretch of beach and hit the water again. Once again, it the targets were not real numerous, and were mostly clad and trash again. I did get a big aluminum can type signal and was surprised to see a chain with a buddha pendant hanging from it. I thought it looked silver to me, and I put it in my pouch (turned out it was junk, and stuck to the magnet Rick keeps stuck in the back of his vehicle). About 2 hours into our evening hunt, I got a real low growl of a tone, and scooped up what I was sure was a white gold ring with a small diamond. I was stoked, and hooked it to my caribiner I keep clipped to my pouch. A short while later Rick came near and I gave him the "thumbs up" that I got a gold ring. But, upon inspecting it more closely with Rick, we couldn't find a stamp inside, and agreed that it felt too light to be gold. Now I was bummed, but kept swinging away. Then around 20 minutes later, and again nearing the end of our hunt, I got a signal that I was sure was a quarter or dime - relatively high but soft tone, and was shocked to see a clunker of a mens wedding band in amongst the shells and stones - 9 grams of 14K...
That was the last good target of the day for me, so I joined Rick at the car as the light of day was disappearing, happy to have two gold rings on my first day of the trip!
Friday, Saturday and Sunday were repeats of early morning hunts and evening hunts, both salt and fresh water. Gold eluded both of us these three days, but I did manage to find a decent and still working Casio watch.
Monday was out last day to hunt, as I was flying out early Tuesday morning. The weather wasn't too great on Monday morning, but it didn't keep us from hitting the water again. I started finding nickels and quarters right off the bat, and about 20 minutes into the hunt, I dug a heavy sinker. "That's a good sign" I said to myself, and then my very next target turned out to be a nice men's gold ring with black onyx and the worlds tiniest diamond...
Rick pulled up a nice clunker of a men's 14K ring with a flat top and two lines of inlayed black onyx. Then Rick scored again with a small woman's gold band. Then it was my turn and I pulled up an old gold ring that looked like it had been in the ocean for about 100 years. I mean this thing looked OLD. Whatever the stones were that are set on top, they didn't fare well after so much time in the saltwater, but the ring itself polished up pretty well...
In between the two gold rings, I found a totally black ring that I was sure was silver, and it cleaned up really well...
After 3.5 hours of hunting, probably over a hundred targets each, and four gold rings, we were both ready for coffee, so we called it a morning. Low tide was late monday night, so we took along our waterproof LED flashlights, and hit the water about an hour before dark and hunted long after dark. I managed a small 14K firefighter pendant during Monday night's hunt, and was content to head back to California with 5 pieces of gold that I didn't have before I had made the trip east just 6 days earlier...
All in all, it was a really great trip, and I had a fun time hunting with my east coast friend Rick. Here are the keepers all together, which includes a few junk rings...
Happy Hunting,
Jim
Upvote
0










