Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Accidently" jamming the coinstar machine

A guy found two silver eagles in the "trash" tray of a coinstar machine. When he was cashing in his change, the machine accidently jammed from a flat button he had mixed in. The teller had to open the machine and when she did, the eagles were in the trash tray. She sold them to him for a buck a piece.

Is it worth a try? It wouldn't be difficult to mix a button in with your change. Do you think there are goodies sitting in those trays or is it an isolated incident?

XX

Jan 11, 2008
Re: "Accidently" jamming the coinstar machine

Personally, those trash bins really tick me off. Quite often I see perfectly normal change in them and in my opinion, that is stealing from the customer.

The only thing worse, is the teller who processes the change through the counter and INTENTIONALLY does not return the rejects to the customer.

kestrelia

May 9, 2007

Great job on the eagles. Just yesterday I was thinking, hmmm, maybe I'll got around one Saturday and do just that. I bet one could get a lot of foreign coins that way from the Coin Star machines with magnets. It might be more trouble than it is worth though since it sometimes takes a while to find the store person who has the key the machine and what if one goes to all that trouble just to be told they can't have the "trash."

Brian

XX

Jan 11, 2008

kestrelia said:
......and what if one goes to all that trouble just to be told they can't have the "trash."

Brian

That is usually indicative that someone in the store is personally pocketing what they find in there. At places where they really do throw it in the garbage, they hand it out freely.

woody420

Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
Prizm II -Prizm 6T

I am a manager in a store with a coinstar machine and i check it often. The other day i found a 1881 IH penny sitting on the ledge. It must have got rejected and they just left it there. Then another day i checked the trash bin and noticed a 64 dime. There is also a plastic container in the door that the service techs use to put the trash coins in from the trash tray. I looked through there and found 3 more dimes 62D,64D,64. So if you do get the clerk to open it up look in that plastic container in the door. Almost everyday i find some kind of foriegn coin on the counter or in the reject slot. I am happy to exchange my new change for the oldies i find ;D ;D ;D I can only imagine the stuff that makes it into the bin and gets taken away from my store everyday. One of my co-workers had a crackhead lady try to put gold coins through it and it kept rejecting them so he bought them off her at face value LOL wish i was at work that day!!!!! Well any time you walk by one of those machines take a look on the floor ,in the tray and on the counter ;D ;D HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread