What's new

account number?

jerseyben

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2010
Messages
5,216
Reaction score
2,180
Golden Thread
0
Location
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Went into a PNC Bank this afternoon. Asked the teller if she had any half dollars? She says "Yes I do. What is your account number?" I told her I did not have an account at PNC. She did not ask me if I wanted to open an account, just told me that she could not sell me any half dollars without an account. Has anyone else encountered this? Frustrating.
 
Upvote 0
Yes, ever since 9/11, some banks have read the Patriot Act differently. If you take the act seriously, banks feel that the trading of cash for coins might be construed as laundering. It is easier for them to set a policy that you must have an account with them to exchange cash. My bank doesn't care and I have encountered many that do. Just smile, say thanks and let your feet do the talking. Chances are good her coins were all clad so you saved yourself some trouble. Where these banks are involved, it is only going to get worse. Jim
 
There is a bank near me that would not sell me any halves because I was not a member. They said that they needed to save them for their customers. After asking around, I found out that they keep a half dollar box on hand for customer change. So I told them that I was just interested in coins that people have deposited, and that they could keep the fed rolls. They seemed to be happy with that :thumbsup:
 
It is PNC bank policy. There are several in my area that I stop in at. Most don't even ask if I have an account. Some do, and only once was I turned away because I didn't have an account there. I went back a week later, got a different teller, and got the halves.

Now credit unions, on the other hand, are a stickler for this rule. I would say 3/4 of the credit unions in my area will not sell halves or any other change without an account.
 
quiksilver said:
Lol i have over a dozen accounts now.

Haha...Wow..i thought i was the only one with that many accounts..dont have over 12..but im holding strong at 7...mainly because some of the places offered me 100 bucks to start an account.
If you dont have a Chase acct..they are still doing the 100 dollars to open it..and they gave it to me with no problems about 2 weeks after i signed up
 
Most banks here require an account to sell you halves, but a few don't seem to care and will even order boxes if you ask.

Get a small savings account if it is a bank that you like, especially if they will sell you out of the coin machine or will order boxes.

It is a CHEAP price to pay in my opinion, and you can even get .02% return on your $50 or whatever it is. :laughing7:

Jim
 
Go back another time when she isn't there and try again. I've had good luck doing that.
None of the PNC branches near me have ever asked if i had an account.
 
Yeah, just go back.

Head teller at the PNC on my way to work doesn't care, she loves to dump the clad Kenny's on me, ugh. :laughing9:
 
I have a half-dozen accounts also. It's a pain in the arse sometimes, keeping up with and avoiding those quarterly minimum-deposit fees.
 
Sun Bank gave me the same line as well. However, the nice older teller said "I'll sell you this ONE kennedy anyway". It was clad...
 
Play on there sympathy. If I get asked if I have an account I use one of several stories.

1. I just in town for my nephew's 5th birthday and he really likes pirates so I wanted to give him $100 in halves in a little pirates treasure chest. I usually have to give them a kleenix while they're handing over the halves.
 
HaPpY NeW YeArS! HH
 

Attachments

  • lunapic_129395989425915_11.gif
    lunapic_129395989425915_11.gif
    255.5 KB · Views: 230
  • lunapic_129395989425915_11.gif
    lunapic_129395989425915_11.gif
    255.5 KB · Views: 232
ronbo22 said:
Play on there sympathy. If I get asked if I have an account I use one of several stories.

1. I just in town for my nephew's 5th birthday and he really likes pirates so I wanted to give him $100 in halves in a little pirates treasure chest. I usually have to give them a kleenix while they're handing over the halves.

:laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:
 
I have been told that I need an account at certain brances before then went to another location of the same branch a mile away and got what ever I wanted. Kind of just depends on the teller. I typically do better with younger tellers than the old hags.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom