Ace 250 and "sniper coil"

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Re: Ace 250 and "sniper coil"

Sniper can go 5 to 6 inches deep. Turn the sens down to 1 or 2 bars and almost rub against steel posts. Pinpoints dead center. In the open areas you can run the sens full blast. It's a great buy.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I use the sniper much more than I do the larger coils. Excellent in trashy areas and helps seperate the junk from the junque I find. Monty

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If there is one thing that you can buy that will increase your finds, it's a sniper coil. Monty is 100% correct!

OP
OP
W

Wabash

Greenie
Jan 10, 2007

I bought one, put it on and have'nt taken it off! You guys are 100% right on the money--it's great and ID's directly in the middle of the coil. Thanks guys, it's worth every penny.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

Although I don't run the Ace, IMO after a quality digging tool; a sniper coil should be your next investment.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

love the sniper, it allows you to get up close. Think porches and swing sets, where coins tend to fall.

beniy

Greenie
May 13, 2007

But I dont understand why the sniper coil??? a bigger coil goes deeper and is more sensitive isn`t it? What are the advantages of the sniper coil??? What coil would you recommend for meteorite hunting in the desert???
Thanks in advance!!!
Ben

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The larger coil goes deeper but is not more sensitive. The advantage to the sniper coil is the ability to get closer to fences and other metal objects. Your able to weave it in between the trash to locate the targets near the junk where the larger coil will overload and might null out on a great target. Also using to much sensitivity with a large coil can get you less depth than if you used less because of it seeing to much minerals and the deep coin signal getting lost in the null.

For meteorite hunting in the wilds a larger coil covers more ground per sweep and goes deeper to located the buried things. Good Luck but look out for aliens.

beniy

Greenie
May 13, 2007

Lol thanks a lot Sandman! I have to say your posts are always productive and helpful as far as I`ve read them!

Dick from IA

Nov 21, 2005
Fort Dodge Iowa & Aransas Pass Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

I got away from using the Sniper coil and instead have been using the stock coil; that's gonna change pronto.

Results with the stock coil have been fewer finds and longer time pinpointing and recovering targets. I'll use the stock coil for large areas without much trash, otherwise the Sniper is my choice.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dick, I find hunting with the sniper all the time is too slow for many situations. I only use the sniper for really, really, trashy area, near fences or metal poles and along the edge of sidewalks or cemented areas with rebars. I depend on the standard coil 80% or more of the time I'd guess and think of the sniper as a special use coil. It's easy to miss something in a large area with the sniper because you don't always go back over the edge of the coil pattern out in the open because it is so small. Monty

alexisntx

May 12, 2007

So would you all recommend buying a sniper or a pinpointer? Just got my Ace 250 two days ago. I had a really hard time finding the target just using the stock coil.

Dick from IA

Nov 21, 2005
Fort Dodge Iowa & Aransas Pass Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Monty said:
Dick, I find hunting with the sniper all the time is too slow for many situations. I only use the sniper for really, really, trashy area, near fences or metal poles and along the edge of sidewalks or cemented areas with rebars. I depend on the standard coil 80% or more of the time I'd guess and think of the sniper as a special use coil. It's easy to miss something in a large area with the sniper because you don't always go back over the edge of the coil pattern out in the open because it is so small. Monty

I agree with you, Monty in some instances, such as large areas without much trash interference, and I agree also that overlapping with the Sniper is more difficult.

However, in most of the places I hunt, I don't believe I lose that much time, since I can run full sensitivity, swing faster, and definitely pinpoint and recover a target twice as quickly than with the stock coil.

Trescher

Jul 29, 2006
San Antonio Texas
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500, ACE 250

alexisntx said:
So would you all recommend buying a sniper or a pinpointer? Just got my Ace 250 two days ago. I had a really hard time finding the target just using the stock coil.

I think they both are necessary for different situations. Pinpointing with the stock coil should be as easy as getting your best signal, pulling back until you start to lose the signal and it should be right at the top of the center coil. A sniper coil will help, but its real intention is to detect around metal objects, in hard to reach places and when a normal coil covers too much trashy ground to get a good signal.

Your pinpointer will not help you find treasure until after you start to dig, but then it is a real time saver. No more splitting piles into 50/50, picking up the detector again, split another pile into 50/50, etc. Only ever had two issues with my pointer, one was it always beeped when I forgot and checked soil in my left hand (right around my ring finger ::)), and the other was when a small black magnet stuck to the end and the coin appeared everywhere and yet nowhere. Other than that I love my pinpointer and feel like I am wasting my time when I forget it at home.

I know that you will want both before long, but I would rather have my pinpointer and hunt less trashy areas, than have a sniper coil and want for a pinpointer.

So get the pinpointer and wait for the sniper to go on sale. Or get both and get a package deal.

Paul

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The Sunray is great but will cost almost as much as your ACE 250. Monty

alexisntx