Ace 350 vs Teknetics Delta 4000 vs Tesoro Silver UMax

neither one try a white's coin master

Like Detector Wars said, "remove the ace from the list". The Delta 4000 has several toys and handles high Fe soil (slightly) better than the Silver uMax, even with the larger search coils. It is noisier than the Silver uMax, but less annoying than the Ace 350. The Tesoro is the best cherry-picker/discriminator of the three, but it requires more right-side brain activity processing the discrete subtle tones and sounds it (the uMax) produces. . The Delta 4000 would be my choice of the three if I were new to the hobby though, its toys would keep me more interested. The Ace drives me half nuts with its sounds. Try the more demanding Silver uMax after you get used to the Delta and its more cut and dried behavior.

Larry

Last edited:
I can't speak for the other two but I love my 350 haven't had any problems with it easy to use good depth and seperation I'm sure the other two are good also but your not going to be disappointed in any name brand for that price just stay away from the China detectors

Having owned 2 of the 3 detectors mentioned ( Silver umax and Delta 4000 ) the Silver umax is my choice, especially if this is your first detector. Metered machines tend to be very jumpy in trash and not very accurate at target ID.
The Silver umax has a lifetime warranty which means alot to me. Learning what good and bad targets sound like is easy with the Silver umax. Once you have a few hours hunting with it you will be able to tell by the sound a target makes if it is junk or a coin. Coins are smooth round sounding targets that repeat with clean clear sounds where junk targets will have a sharper higher pitched sound to them. You will dig more targets with the Tesoro but your good finds will also increase. A meter might tell you it's a pulltab in the ground and you trust it and pass the target up only to have the next guy come along and dig a nice gold ring that you left for him. Build quality on the Tesoro is superior to the Garrett and the Delta 4000, and especially the Whites that another poster suggested earlier. Tesoro also makes several coils for the umax series, especially the 5.75" coil that is a killer in trash for coins and jewelry. Read the online reviews at metaldetectorreviews.com and see what other users have to say about the 3 detectors you are interested in. Good luck and HH............

Roger

I don't own the Delta but do own a Silver uMax. I love the Silver. The Silver has good depth and when you learn the sound of a coin you will have no problem. It will take you at least 4 hours to get comfortable and confident with associating the tone to a target. Simple machine to use with a lifetime warranty you will probably never need. The Silver is a lot of bang for the buck.

I've only owned the MicroMax Silver out of the three, but I can say that it is more than sufficient for anything I want to do. You can have a look at my first post ever to TreasureNet for some more details about the Silver (link at bottom). I want to reiterate the lifetime warranty that the other detectors don't have. You can expect superior build quality from Tesoro and they back it up.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/tesoro/337325-tesoro-micromax-silver-technical-review.html

I have the silver u-max and pro pointer .I guess this is a good starter set up it seems . a good choice ?...Hook

I think a lot of people get confused when some talk of the tones the tesoroes make. That sounds like the have more than one tone which they don't. I think its a lot easier to learn tones on a detector with more than one tone.

Out of the ones on your list, I would opt for either the Delta 4000 or Silver uMax depending on your hunting style (beep and dig vs TID display). However, if you have $300 to spend, I would actually go for the fisher F2 with the 11in DD coil. It would have incredible response time, very good depth, lots of information before you dig. In addition, it comes with fishers 5 year warranty, and it is very lightweight, so you can swing it for hours on end. Just my two cents.
Happy hunting! :)
C4C

I recently bought a delta and have only used it once on some sand that's river sand not ocean. Out is a nice detector in my opinion but not sure if it's much better than the Fisher. There both really good, only question i have is why does the delta jump around on the options sometimes? If i find something it will go nuts sometimes. If anyone wants to chime in feel free

Silver uMax or a F2. Forget the Ace.

neither one try a white's coin master
Um...No! Worst machine I've ever owned!

Besides the op bought a Compadre and had problems with it right of of the box. I guess he should have opted for an F2!

Um...No! Worst machine I've ever owned!

Besides the op bought a Compadre and had problems with it right of of the box. I guess he should have opted for an F2!

Yeah, I've heard that the Coinmaster and Ace series have had build quality issues.

I definitely agree w/ the other guys, Technetics and Tesoro

The only weakness in the Tesor Silver uMax is the lack of notch dicrimination. So you cannot knock out pulltabs without knocking out nickels too.

I would not make that a deal killer though.

The Silver uMax does one of the best jobs at knocking out screwcaps of any detector I have ever seen. To me, that is a HUGE benefit because a lot of machines, especially the ones with DD coils, love to sing on bottlecaps like they are a great target.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back