Ace 350

Skidder

Jan 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like mine. Does what it claims. Only have had it a month and the ground is frozen (now 24" of snow on top) but did go under a bridge and found change. Check out some you tube videos theres tons of them.

Itsmy6

Feb 14, 2007
St. Louis, MO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Been looking over them for the past couple of days and I'm liking what I see. I suggest going to Garrett's youtube page and watching the vids they have on it. They have the whole instructional video on there.

TechHoundDad

Feb 13, 2013
Great Mills, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you were looking between the Garrett 350 and the AT Pro would you say that the AT Pro is a large improvement over the 350? The difference between $600 and $300 is significant to me as a newbie.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Skidder

Jan 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree but if your on a budget then the 350 will work for you just fine.

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Check out another thread talking about ATPro. They were saying they found the Pro for 460 (I believe). I'd go pro before the 350. You'd be upgrading anyway a bit later. It sounds like you're already for that step.
Not that I'm trying to downplay the 350. It's a good machine too. However if you can truly find the ATPro for 100 more or so. Then really get the Pro. You won't be disappointed.
I myself started with the ATGold. Only because of nugget hunting abilities.
If you can, take your finds for a couple months. Cash them in and then take your tax return plus the finds money. Check with Bart at big boys hobbies. He's a good guy and will try to help ya out with what you want. He won't try to upscale you. I've talked to him and was able to get some good prices for pro pointer and other toys.

Hope this helps some.

ducky

Tenderfoot
Nov 18, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am actively looking for an ATPro. Could you tell me where you saw it for $460. Thanks

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a Ace 350.Here also snow and frozen ground,but did get about 20 or so hours on it during a breif 3 day thaw. My first detector, watched all the videos, plus hours of others on utube. It came and I found coins and stuff in the yard the first hour I had it!! Easy to use.......but, the ground is still froze, and I am already wishing I got the AT Pro,and I will this summer. I like the 350,and I am sure my grandson will also, when I get the AT PRO. Good luck HH

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Actually the price another member said was 490 and not the other price. They didn't mention a site. Another member said any dealer on TNet. To get a hold of them.
I'd personally check with Bart at BigBoyHobbies

http://www.bigboyshobbies.net/

I've talked to Bart before and got quick response. Just tell him you heard about him and am a member of tnet. He's a member here to and often gives input on detectors when asked.

Skidder

Jan 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember a couple weeks ago about a guy that quoted me a price I think it was the $489.00 but out of respect for the dealers here I'm not going to repeat it. Sorry I was even wrong for opening my mouth at the time but I was new here. My mistake.

TechHoundDad

Feb 13, 2013
Great Mills, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info everyone. Being a newbie it's tough to figure how far to get into it. I strongly believe (this is something i have always wanted to do) that this will be a long lived hobby as long as we can find places to do it.. I live in southern MD and it seems that the laws are pretty strict. Still, the amount of history down here makes it very enticing and my 7 YO is ready to go!

Pete in MI

Jan 24, 2007
Houghton Lake, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pinpointer, Garrett ACE 350, Whites Bullseye II pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the 350 too but until ground thaws I can't say if its better than anything else. Got to wait and see. If I would have had the money I might have looked closer at the AT Pro since I live at the largest freshwater inland lake in the State of Michigan

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the 350 too but until ground thaws I can't say if its better than anything else. Got to wait and see. If I would have had the money I might have looked closer at the AT Pro since I live at the largest freshwater inland lake in the State of Michigan
I love the Houghton/Higgins Lake area! Just got my AT Pro yesterday as my first MD and its pretty snazzy. I'm looking forward to "getting my feet wet" down here in the Coldwater chain of lakes, especially the sandbar where everyone hangs out in the summer. I was able to dig today in the sun, but shaded areas sent a shock through my spine when I tried to break ground!

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the 350. not impressed with it. just my opinion. now looking at the AT pro / AT gold and a non garrett.
3/22 got the gold now and I like it alot.

Last edited:

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I jumped straight into the ATGold. So far I'm happy with it. The depth is good. Pinpointing is a bit tricky. Most of the time I do the criss cross over the area and then listen for fade off of the toe.
If I remember correctly, in the manual it says that when you're pinpointing the high tone and graph is when the center of the coil is over target. Then you move coil forward or backward. When the tone starts to drop. The targets at the toe or heel of the coil. Depending on which way you went.
Problem is, if you dig based on this. The target could be left or right of the coil. Can't tell you how many times I dig right at the spot (trying to keep hole small) and then I had to expand the hole.
I now just use the pinpoint feature as a way to narrow the target. Then use criss cross method to pinpoint. Then pull coil back from highest tone and listen for the tone drop. Now the holes are smaller and my targets are then picked up faster.
Nothing better than spending 10+ minutes chasing that target. Lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread