Adams in the Papers

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Friend in Cruces came up with this, but he only found issues straddling the date you requested.

New Mexico Digital Newspapers

I thought Cooney was quite a bit farther than that, up by Willow Creek and Mogollon, but I'm going off of memory...

Thanks for the link. I searched this site a while back - I guess the Sept 21 issue didn't survive. It was referenced in a master's thesis covering the history of the Silver City mines, supposedly discussing ancient mine workings found in a silver mine in Chloride Flats, just west of town. Others were allegedly found further west and in AZ. Oddly, I did find this item in the Nov 9, 1872 issue - seemingly related.
ancients.jpg

Here's the mystery area in the Mogollons. The highlighted area is where Mike Cooney's body was found. I doubt that I'll return to this remote area, but if I did, I'd look around in Corral Canyon, shown on the right side of the map section.
sycamore canyon.jpg

OP
OP
N

nmth

Oct 11, 2012
NM/AZ
Detector(s) used
V3(i), ATX, uMax, Gold Bug, TM808, Custom
Thanks for the link. I searched this site a while back - I guess the Sept 21 issue didn't survive. It was referenced in a master's thesis covering the history of the Silver City mines, supposedly discussing ancient mine workings found in a silver mine in Chloride Flats, just west of town. Others were allegedly found further west and in AZ. Oddly, I did find this item in the Nov 9, 1872 issue - seemingly related.
View attachment 1540830

Here's the mystery area in the Mogollons. The highlighted area is where Mike Cooney's body was found. I doubt that I'll return to this remote area, but if I did, I'd look around in Corral Canyon, shown on the right side of the map section.
View attachment 1540831

Man, that's tough, remote country.

Wish I were tougher.

I was given some little wire silver poof balls that supposedly came out of a pocket in a now covered mine near Chloride Flats.

Definitely, mines in the Burros were worked back in Colonial times or earlier.

A friend of mine passed this week who went up Sycamore in the back when on a trip to see Moore's cave. Says signs of activity were about nil.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
I've somehow managed to reach the age where I'd probably give Mexican Mustang Liniment a try.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Arbuckle coffee, I've read, came in a bag. "The real Arbuckle mud" became a phrase meaning the genuine article.

I've also read the company put a stick of peppermint in the bag. Well wrapped, I hope - otherwise it would taste like coffee. Chuck wagon range cooks would give the candy to the cowboy who helped clean up after dinner and wash the dishes.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
sdcfia: You are, of course, quite welcome! I am thoroughly enjoying these 19th (and early 20th) century newspaper articles. Reminds me of the great work done by Ed ("Jesse Rascoe") Bartholomew. Newspaper research certainly is much easier today.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Arbuckle coffee, I've read, came in a bag. "The real Arbuckle mud" became a phrase meaning the genuine article.

I've also read the company put a stick of peppermint in the bag. Well wrapped, I hope - otherwise it would taste like coffee. Chuck wagon range cooks would give the candy to the cowboy who helped clean up after dinner and wash the dishes.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

You can still buy the genuine Arbuckle's coffee:

https://www.arbucklecoffee.com/

I was surprised to learn that 8 O'clock coffee is also a 'cowboy coffee' and was the main competitor for Arbuckle's, and it is also still available of course.

Please do continue;

:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
when Adam's returned and tried to rediscover the canyon of gold there was a man
who put up some money and helped him search for quite awhile, i think he may have
kept searching even after Adam's left the area his name was C. A. Shaw, Captain Shaw
wrote a book of some sort simply called ''Gold'', has anybody ever seen this book?

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Howdy!

I believe this is the book(let) you reference - written by Byerts, not Capt. Shaw (I'm not aware he ever wrote up the story):

GOLD 1.0.jpg

That's my reprint - it's unobtainable in the original. (deleted by mod, non cm selling)
Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Last edited by a moderator:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Re: Post #18

A somewhat belated "Many thanx!" for posting that article. I couldn't read the name of the paper or the date at the top. However, a little research shows it appears to be from The Sun (New York, New York) 3 February 1890.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Old Bookaroo, I have that book, C.A. Shaw was an ex navy capitain who financed and helped Adams himself search
they said he was very weary of people, but believed everything Adams told him and never gave up on him.
Dobie talks about his book, as well as McKenna and said the old captain knew things he never diclosed in
the book, Shaws book like Beyrts was titled simply GOLD.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread