Advice for a gift please

mumbojumbo

Jul 12, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All

I'm looking to buy my friend a meteorite as a gift but if I completely honest I have no idea where to buy it from in the UK except ebay and what I should be paying. I have had a read about various different types and I think from an aesthetics point of view I'm probably looking at something like a slice of Gibeon meteorite that I can mount in a perspex display case. Can anyone advise on what sort of size piece I would should be looking at for in the region of ?200 to ?250 ($276-$346) please?

For example I have found a long thin piece for sale that's roughly 10cm x 2cm x 0.4cm, it's ?280 which a little more than I was looking but it seems like a nice meteorite with good etching on it.

Apologies if this sort of post isn't allowed.

many thanks

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome.

I would recommend you stick with a known distributor.

Meteorite Market (I have no connection or affiliation with them) ships worldwide, accepts PayPal (makes exchange much easier) and has a good reputation (see article from Astronomy Magazine also below). Their website shows the specific piece you are buying as well as a one centimeter cube beside each meteorite. Price depends on the material (Iron, stony, etc.) as well as size and visual appeal.

The Meteorite Market

https://astronomy.com/magazine/ask-astro/2017/02/buying-authentic-meteories

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet.

I have three suggestions.

1. If you want a nice slice of a nickel-iron that has good Widmanstatten figures, then I would go for an etched slice of “Muonionalusta”. It’s generally a stable meteorite which is not prone to rusting. Recent further discoveries mean that they’re readily available at good prices at the moment. A decent-sized slice would be well within your budget.

2. If you want something really “showy”, I would go for a polished slice of a main-group pallasite. "Brahin" would be a good choice and most dealers have these available with a polyurethane coating to protect them against deterioration. These meteorites show particularly well with backlighting, having the appearance of a stained glass window, from the greenish yellow olivine inclusions. As such they would benefit from display in a “membrane box”, for which I gave some details previously, here:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/general-discussion/649702-need-help-riker-case.html
Again, a decent-sized slice would be well within your budget.

3. What might be rather nice is to go for smaller pieces of the three main groups. While still having a sufficiently large area for display, you should be able to pick up a nickel-iron, a pallasite, and a chondrite for a total price that’s within your budget. Those would look lovely displayed together in a Riker mount.

Although you might see better prices on eBay, I would recommend only buying from an I.M.C.A. member (International Meteorite Collectors Association).

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS: There's no particular reason for seeking out a UK dealer, except that it will reduce your shipping costs (which would otherwise include import duty). If you do want a UK dealer, the leading suppler is probably David Bryant at "SpaceRocks":

David Bryant's Space Rocks UK! Meteorites for sale. Buy meteorites, sikhote alin, canyon diablo, barwell, tektites, moldavites, pallasites, impactites from Great Britain's Number 1

I have to declare an interest in that David is a "mate" of mine, but he's a good guy and won't cheat you. What is currently shown on his website won't be the only stock he has available. If you give him a call or drop him an email outlining what you are looking for, and tell him what your budget is, then I'm sure he would be happy to make some suggestions about what he could offer and in what sizes.

[I hope this recommendation doesn't offend the moderators. As they say on TV "other suppliers are available"]

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shoot....now I want to go buy a meteorite.....

OP
OP
M

mumbojumbo

Jul 12, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Red-Coat this is very much appreciated. I'd prefer to order form the UK so I drop David an email to see what's available. Thanks again!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread