Advice needed on new MD purchase

shakey

Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2007
So I'm beginning to realize that MD's are like cars. . no matter how good the one you've got is, it always tempting to think another one might be better.

I currently own and use a Bounty hunter 505, Whites Prism 3, Tesoro Cibola, and a Tesoro Tejan- I like them all and have learned that each has it's place (even the Bounty Hunter)

I'm thinking of buying a machine that can fit most of these features into one, and so far have considered the Whites DFX or XLT or MXT or the Fisher F75.

I mainly relic hunt in North Georgia and South Carolina, but am beginning to enjoy coin shooting. Not really planning on nugget hunting any time soon.

Any advice or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
I use my DFX for relics and coins. Works great. I think all the "top line" detectors that are multi-mode would do the job. It is going to come down to personal preference. They are somewhat like shoes, some will fit you better than others. I like the versatility of the DfX and the quality of the readings. They are usually dead on. With the pre-set programs that come installed, you can get started and use several modes to see what works best for the situation. I can then start to change the programs or write my own as I learn more.

Daryl

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Get the F75. It is by far the deepest machine that you will find. I just got back from upstate NY where the ground was like cement and I dug a Barber quarter in a park that had been hunted to death at a measured 13 inches. I also dug several mercs at over 10. It is truly an amazing machine once you get the hang of it. I also use Minelab EX2's and this machine will more than give them a run for the money.I have had a DFX and there is no contest on depth and recovery speed compared to the F 75

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
I like the DFX after comparing other models. I have a good dealer in my area for White's and I was wanting the MXT, but after the comparison, I found the DFX was the way to go for me as it seems to do it all and then some. As far as the Fisher F75, I have heard good things, I have not used it myself, however, I have been having some problems with my Fisher right now and so far I have not been to pleased in the response from Fisher.

I have heard that the Dejon is great in those areas you have mentioned. Do you have any input on that? I have been thinking about the Dejon for a back up. I will probably be selling the Fisher when I get it fixed.

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
All of the detectors you mention are top detectors and have there place. The MXT is a good detector for a multiple of uses and is simple to use. Not a great salt water beach detector though. The DFX , F75 and Explorers are the top three. You will get many opinions on them and many different views but when it's all said and done the user and their willingness to learn the detectors operation will be the deciding factor in whether they are successful or not. In my opinion you cannot go wrong with any of them.If you need more info or help please let me know.
TonyinCT
www.tcmetaldetectors.com

OP
OP
S

shakey

Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2007
Thanks for all the advice so far!

In response to Lost at Sea, I think highly of the Tejon. No major complaints, it does click on iron even with higher levels of disc. but with time I learned the sound. I think it is a deep machine, I've dug a percussion cap at about 8 inches and a 36 cal. fired found ball at close to 10 inches. It will ring clearly on signals that my wife's Cibola wont even register- even with fresh batteries. When I first bought it, I went out to a "hunted out site" and dug a button and two 44 cal. round balls in about an hour! The key is to thoroughly ground balance the machine and do it often throughout the day as ground conditions change. It is a good machine.

I've heard the F75 is a real monster for depth and seperation- but they say it's hard to master. Of course I've heard nothing but good things about the DFX.

Again, thanks for the advice.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer Minelab or Eric Foster. Pulse Induction is the way to go!

Best,

Mike

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Just know that PI machines really have no discrimination. They will drive you nuts in any area with trash - nails, wire, bottle caps, etc. I have both a PI and a DFX for the VLF feature. I have tried to use the PI to hunt relics and coins and I gave up. Great depth but no discrimination equals lots of deep holes to get a nail.

Daryl

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has been five years in the making, but the Pulse Devil (Australia) will not be too awfully much longer.

"THE PULSE DEVIL EXPLAINED: AN OVERVIEW

When designing a detector one is presented with a series of trade-offs. One such trade-off is the choice of how many user controls the detector will have.

Most designers have limited the number of user controls for two reasons.

The first reason is that many users don't like the idea of adjusting an instrument panel rivaling that found in the cockpit of a jet fighter.

The other reason, though less obvious, is just as important. The controls take up space. This means that the control box gets both bigger and heavier. Large control boxes and lot of controls also make the detector expensive.

To complicate things still further, the designer is faced with the fact that there are professional detector users in many parts of the world.

Some professionals seek ancient coins in Europe while others seek relics from various sites before they rot away and are lost for ever.

Still others are beating around the bush in Australia with a cold pack of tinnies on their back looking for the big one!!!

The professional user wants to get everything they can from their detector. Such a person will spend the time to learn how to adjust any number of controls available to them in order to squeeze out those extra, all important few inches of depth.

The truth is that a detector with a full complement of controls is potentially far more powerful than a detector equipped with a limited number of controls.

The challenge was to make a detector which suited everyone. A detector which could be effectively used by a either a beginner or a professional.

I decided that a make-over was in order.

The first order of business was to replace the Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) battery pack with a powerful Lithium Ion (Li-ion) type. The new pack is much lighter than the old one which made for a good start.

I removed all the mechanical controls and mechanical switches from the Pulse Devil and replaced them all with tiny electronic chip pots. The chip pots are adjusted by one of two on board microcomputer chips.

The removal of the mechanical controls and switches provided a control box front panel which sports only an LCD display and a single control knob.

USING THE DETECTOR

The single knob is mounted on the master control. This control knob can be turned clockwise or counterclockwise. The control knob can also be pushed in to actuate a built in momentary switch.

TURNING THE DETECTOR ON AND OFF

Pressing the knob in causes the LCD to display a message requesting that you enter a PIN number.

The numbers 0 - 9 are displayed in a row followed by the word "ENTER".

Turning the control knob causes each number to flash on and off in turn as the knob is rotated. As an example, the operator used the last five digits of his drivers license number for his PIN code. the PIN number is 28217.

To enter this, one simply rotates the control knob until the "2" flashes. Pressing the knob in will now enter the number and cause a * to be displayed on the bottom line of the display. The control knob is now rotated to where the "8" flashes. Pressing the knob in enters the number and causes the bottom line of the display to **.

The rest of the numbers are now entered until the bottom line displays *****

The knob is now rotated to the word "ENTER". The knob is pressed in and the PIN code is entered.

The detector can now be switched on and off as many times as is required for a period of 48 hours. This will render stolen Pulse Devils useless to a thief. There is, of course, a factory back door code in case anyone forgets their PIN number. The detector can be reset upon verification of ownership.

Once the detector is turned on the main menu is displayed. The menu has the following options which appear one at a time by rotating the control knob:

"Operate"

"Default Settings"

"Manual Settings"

"Stored Settings"

"Shutdown"

The option is selected by pressing the control knob in.

OPERATE MODE

Selecting the "operate" mode reloads the control settings which were in place when the detector was last switched off. You are all ready to detect.

DEFAULT SETTINGS

Selecting "Default Settings" provides a large number of factory preset control settings for different types of detecting such as "Prospecting", "Relic Hunting", "Coin Hunting", "Beach Hunting" and conditions such as "Neutral Ground" "Mineral Ground" "Extreme Ground" and "Salt Ground".

The default settings offer a starting point to set the detectors controls.

MANUAL SETTINGS

Selecting "Manual Settings" allows the user to select and change any or all of the detectors controls and settings.

Here is the list of the user accessible controls on the PD.

Threshold,

Ground Balance,

RX Gain, (similar to sensitivity)

Automatic Retune Speed,

Discrimination,

Audio Tone,

Audio Volume,

Sample Delay,

Noise Tuning (adjusts out interference by varying the operating frequency),

Display Backlight (setting can be set from OFF to full brightness in steps),

Automatic or Non Automatic Tuning Select (ON - OFF),

Transmit Pulse Width Selection:

250us

500us

750us

1000us

ON-OFF POWER SWITCHING

There is also a Battery Voltage display which displays the battery voltage with a resolution of 0.1 Volts.

STORED SETTINGS

Selecting the "Stored Settings" allows the user to store the detectors current settings along with a simple name tag for use on a future return trip. The detector can store dozens of these stored settings.

A note pad memory is also provided for the user to enter the GPS location next to the name tag. This allows the instant recall and loading of all the detectors settings for any particular site.

The detector's settings are stored automatically when the detector is told to shutdown. Turning the detector back on reloads these settings.

The memory's used are all non volatile types. The will store their data
without a battery being installed in the detector.

SHUTDOWN

The Pulse Devil uses a software shutdown. Selecting "Shutdown" causes the detector to load its settings into memory and then shut off the power from the battery via an electronic switch.

An audio low battery alert sounds a sharp beep once every thirty seconds until the critical battery voltage is reached and the detector shuts down to avoid over discharging of the battery pack.

The Pulse Devil has a built-in battery charger. An AC cord and a car cigarette lighter cord / plug provide charging from 90VAC to 240VAC 50/60Hz or a 12VDC to 24VDC vehicle battery.

The battery pack can be charged in place or simply replaced in the field.

For the European or the deluxe versions, there is also a Target ID or TID.

The LCD display now displays the target ID in super large, easy-to-read
numbers. The number is negative for ferrous and positive for non ferrous.

The TID provides the same number for the same type of target just as the TID circuits found on many high end VLF detectors do. The TID is quite accurate.

As a final note, the Pulse Devil in the picture that is posted on the forum does not have the graphics on it as the production model will.

Here is an explanation of some of the Pulse Devil's features. This
explanation is not to be considered as a part of an operating manual.
It is only an explanation of some of the features.

PULSE DEVIL: ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

DISCRIMINATION

All versions of the Pulse Devil come equipped with a full range
discrimination control. This control, although set digitally,
operates in exactly the same way as a discrimination control on a VLF.

For prospecting a full range, discrimination is not useful. The only
discrimination required is one that provides a ferrous - nonferrous
indication.

The full range discrimination control is provided to allow the
detector to be used for coin and relic hunting in addition to its use
in prospecting.

The discrimination control settings start at iron rejection and goes
to foil rejection and then all the way up to pulltab rejection.

The Pulse Devil can be upgraded by the dealer to include a Target ID
or "TID". The European version of the Pulse Devil is designed
primarily as a coin and relic detector — the TID is included on this
model.

The TID will output a negative number for a ferrous target and a
positive number for a nonferrous target.

Each type of target will provide a different number.

The numbers are a measure of the targets conductivity.

Low conductivity targets such as cupro nickel coins will provide a
low number such as +50 while a high conductivity target such as a
silver coin will provide a higher number such as +180.

The numbers displayed in TID mode are much taller and easier to read
than the characters in other modes. Each number takes up the entire
display height

NOTE: The dealer can also change the display for left handed
operation. This is accomplished by turning the display 180 degrees.
Left hand Pulse Devils will have their master control knob on the
right of the control panel while right hand Pulse Devils will have
their master control knob on the left.

PULSE WIDTH SELECTION

There are four selectable transmit pulse widths. These are 250us,
500us, 750us and 1000us. Almost all other PI detectors use transmit
pulse widths of between 50us and 250us. Some use both long and short
pulses. The maximum pulse widths used are on the order of 250us. (us
= microseconds or millionth parts of a second).

Each type of target has what is called a time constant or "TC". This
is a measure of the time it takes the received signal to decline in
voltage from its peak value to a low value.

Small gold nuggets can easily have a TC as low as 15 microseconds
while a large silver coin might have a TC of many hundreds of
microseconds.

In order to achieve a maximum detection depth on a target, the width
or length of the transmit pulse should ideally be long for long TC
targets.

A target such as a small gold nugget can be detected at maximum depth
using a transmit pulse which is much shorter. Using a long pulse on a
target with a short TC will neither increase or decrease the
detection range.

The selection of the pulse width is now dependent on the type of
target that is being sought. In an area where only small gold has
ever been found the 250us setting is ample. Conversely, if the area
has produced large gold then it is safer to use a longer pulse width.

The highest pulse widths are required when searching for large highly
conductive targets such as large silver items.

Using longer transmit pulses causes the battery to be drained faster
than when shorter transmit pulses are used. This is the reason that a
selection of pulse widths has been provided.

GROUND ADJUST

The ground adjust control is used the same way as the ground adjust
or ground balance controls on many VLF detectors. The searchcoil is
simply lowered toward the ground from an initial height of two to
three feet or 60 - 90 cms.

If the audio level increases, the control is turned counterclockwise.

If the audio level decreases, then the control is turned clockwise.

The detector is tuned to the ground when the change in the audio
level is the least when the searchcoil is raised and lowered.

AUTOMATIC TUNING

The retune speed of the Pulse Devil can be adjusted from a super slow
speed of 25 seconds to a super fast speed of 1 second.

There are two different tuning modes provided. A regular automatic
tuning or a zero overshoot constant threshold tuning is user selectable.

The tuning speed is selected for the users preference or to minimize
any ground noise due to rapid variations in the mineral make up of
the soil."

The Pulse Devil is still undergoing trials around the world. I heard they were in Nevada last year. I can't wait till this thing hits the market.

Best,

Mike

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
Mike, I've followed the development of a few different MD's and while the Pulse Devil sure looks like it will be a good machine, I think some will find it less than perfect. There are some of us, myself included, that don't like hierarchical menu's. To my mind, having to go through multiple "levels" to perform what should be a simple and routine task, such as adjusting ground balance, or notching out a hot rock, should be as simple as pressing a button, or turning a knob.

Without seeing and trying the PD, its hard to give any final opinion, but it sounds like they are trying to justify removal of knobs, based on the idea that they add so much weight. I use an old Compass Magnum 420 with a steel case and upper shaft with the "wrist-breaker" handle. I'll likely build a new shaft for it, but not because of the weight. If weight is a big concern, they could make the control box removable for hip, or a chest mount. And they could go with one of the many affordable "heads up" displays available as viewing goggles, or as flip type viewing screens that attach to glasses, or a hat. Removing the display from the body of the machine would reduce the electronics from the control box.

Just my 2 cents.

F.

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Any idea what the projected price is going to be for the Pulse Devil?

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Canewrap,

As of right now, it is supposed to fall in the $2500-2900 Range. That could change if they decide they need to change something.

Functional,

The Pulse Devil is not intended to be a Turn-On-And-Go Detector. It is designed as a professional detector. Here is a quote from the inventor:

My goal is not to go head to head with Minelab or any other large company. The
way I see it there is a niche market for a professional detector instead of a
detector which is aimed at any and all potential users.

The Pulse Devil or PD is definitely not designed for the casual user. If it
where I would not risk running amplifiers with the kind of gain that the PD
can be set to. Everything about the PD is EXTREME.

Best,

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread