ADVICE ON SELLING CAMERA GEAR LOT...............

montanatramp

Tenderfoot
Jun 7, 2011
Whitefish, Montana
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not buy camera items very often because I am not well versed in it. I purchased this lot at a family run estate sale because the price was too good to pass up. I paid $150 for the whole mess. Is is better to sell the cameras and lenses together as a set, or, break it up and sell it one piece at at time? Your selling experience comments would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Picture 110.jpg
    Picture 110.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 169
  • Picture 109.jpg
    Picture 109.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 180

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would sell it on eBay, piece by piece. It is more work, but you make much more money. It all looks like film equipment, so I am not sure what they bring any more. During the '90's I bought Nikon kits, broke them up and sold them in pieces and tripled my money. Just be sure it all works. I believe there is still a market for classic Nikons.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since film is dead, I don't know if you can get anything for the bodies. If the lenses are compatible with any current digital camera bodies they could bring some money. You will probably need to list these on a dedicated photog forum or else on ebay.

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You appear to have gotten a very nice deal. The F2 body alone will recoup you expences. Most of the AI lenses will work on the modern Nikon DSLR cameras with a minor adjustment. I would need to know the models to give you any useful info. All of the flashes will also work on modern DSLRs. They will auction quite well. and as GrizLeeBear mentioned, selling them piece by piece will fetch the highest price. Some of those lenses, if they are specialty lenses, are highly sought after and will sell well. If you will surf the Ebay Nikon film camera section, you can get a general idea for what your equipment should bring. Knowing how to identify lenses will help greatly. Lenses are identified by maker (ex. Nikkor), focal length (ex. 50mm) and by apeture (ex. f-1.4).

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know a lot of photographers who still use film, Definitely list the bodies. They are still in demand, perhaps not as much as a DSLR but I would still give it a shot. $150 for the whole lot, you really can't lose.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montana - If I was selling this lot, this is what I would sell on ebay as follows: Remove each lens from its body (hopefully they are all nikon (nikkor) lenses and not aftermarket junkies). Check the optics really well against a good light source. Make sure there is no fungus (google images to see what it looks like). Look for scratches, dust and scrapes in the coating. These details will make the difference in your listing. List each lens separately with the lens cap and preferably a back cover if you have them. Make sure you put the specs for the lens in the subject line of the listing. I would sell all the fixed lenses first (one at a time). Then move onto the zoom lenses - same thing (these tend to bring a lot less). The accessories should also be listed individually. For the camera bodies -- you have two choices -- list them "as is", which will bring the least amount money. 2 - test each camera body. This will require you to buy some batteries to check the electronics, but it makes a huge difference on what you will get for them. Test the flashes as well. I think you will do phenomenally well with this lot.

OP
OP
M

montanatramp

Tenderfoot
Jun 7, 2011
Whitefish, Montana
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!! You guys are fantastic. Just the type of specific info I was hoping the receive in an area
I am very lacking. This is why I chose to use this forum to acquire knowledge from members that
have alot of experience buying and selling. Thanks again, I do appreciate it.............

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Film is most certainly not dead. It is preferred by artists and others. Piece it out and you will do very well. I buy Film cameras and lenses at estate sales all the time. Actually, you should sell the bodies with a cheap lens...

Good luck.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Yes, definitely piece it out.

This past summer I bought the left overs from a camera lot, and was surprised how well we did just selling the scraps, including lens caps. Yes, lens caps. Many will laugh at the thought of selling just the lens caps, but we got about $8-$10 each for them, and we had about 20 caps total.

OP
OP
M

montanatramp

Tenderfoot
Jun 7, 2011
Whitefish, Montana
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Clovis, There are a bunch of extra lens caps floating around in one of the bags............

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Could you send me a list of the lenses? I'm always looking for new glass, plus
I know a whole bunch of professionals that are avowed Nikon fans. Most likely
they will only operate on the full-framed DSLR bodies, but that's not a worry at all
as I shoot both crop-framed and full-framed bodies. Don't know if I would buy any
of them, but I should be able to give you a good idea of their individual values plus
share the list with those who frequently buy used gear.

Older Nikon lenses still work well on many of the newer Nikon DSLR's. They may
not work in auto-focus, but that doesn't make a huge difference to landscape and
portrait shooters.

Definitely part if out, as those film Nikon bodies are still in use by may Pro's.

Hope that helps ya some!

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Thanks Clovis, There are a bunch of extra lens caps floating around in one of the bags............

Try to match them up with the lenses if possible. This will help the lenses sell for a higher price.

But, if you have any orphans, they do sell on ebay.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread