Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Aerator's don't fill their holes

Did some detecting yesterday and felt like I really shouldn't be there in case someone got the wrong idea.

The park had very recently aerated the grounds and left all those little plugs in it's path, plus chunks of grass tossed around like someone went wild.

I was so nervous someone would walk up and see those huge divots and point a finger at me. I was walking around kicking grass back into place just so no one would think I was leaving my holes uncovered. I wasnt about to try putting all those little plugs back.... :tard:...but the big gouges.......just made me nervous as heck.

So now I know why all my finds seem to be a consistant 4" deep or right on the surface.... ::)

Al

Re: Aerator's don't fill their holes

Yep, them things destroy pulltabs too! Get 'em all bent after they unplug the ground. Can't get 'em graded like that.

Lowbatts said:
Yep, them things destroy pulltabs too! Get 'em all bent after they unplug the ground. Can't get 'em graded like that.

What you need are plastic knitting needles so you can oh-so-carefully hook the bent part of the pulltab relic without further damage. Geez, costs about $15 each anymore to get the tabs correctly graded a, sealed and authenticated. Coors, Bud etc like that. The "rare" ones.

I'm wanting to start an internet site for JUST tabs. They have one for potato chips and we need to display our good stuff.

Remember: Plastic Needles Only.

Love,
Bob in Broomfield

Hey Lowbats can you do a tutorial on the proper technique for digging tabs? No matter how hard I try I end up scratching the bejeebers out of all my tabs, I'm sure making them valueless :-\ The other problem I'm having is recovering can slaw. Any help would be appreciated ;D ;D ::) ::)

I'd call the cops or Park Ranger and report the driver of the aeriator ::) Be fun to see the outcome of that one! "I'd like to report this guy driving his tractor in the park tearing up holes everywhere." ;D ;D ;D It'd definately be Utube material when PD showed up ;D

Can you also post a video about the proper way to get all the dirt out of the holes on the pull tabs without unnecessary scratches? ???

Just leave all your new tabs in your jeans when you/her wash. You will be surprised
at how nice & shiney they get, especially is you/her use fabric softner. lastleg

You know what I hate about pull tab hunting..................rings...right when you think you are going to get a nice pull tab........Blam.....another ring.....sometimes it's even just an old coin >:(

Question is do the 30 & 40 year old tabs develop a patinal?

lastleg said:
Just leave all your new tabs in your jeans when you/her wash. You will be surprised
at how nice & shiney they get, especially is you/her use fabric softner. lastleg

Haven't tried that. Usually I just throw 'em in the dishwasher. But that strong soap does affect the patina. Your idea is way better. Thanks!

I have heard that some "expert" tab collectors will actually string 'em on a clothesline and have the rain gently clean them. Of course the very rare and valuable ones deserve a olive oil treatment. Very gently rubbed between the fingers.

BTW: I have also read about Chinese knock-offs being sold at local flea markets for pennies on the dollar. Like ten classic tabs for a buck. Man, we give China the technology and they try to defraud us. I'm writing to O'Reilly or one of those guys. This has to STOP.

Just love the way some topics morph.... :thumbsup:

Al

boogeyman said:
deepskyal said:
Just love the way some topics morph.... :thumbsup:

Al
Morph?!?! :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: Didn't he hang out with a chick called Mindy? :tongue3: :tongue3:

Na Noo Na Noo!

Yeah I remember that show. Is Robin Williams still alive?:icon_scratch:
I heard he had heart trouble........

What was this thread about ?......Airheads?.......pull tabs?........
Oh yeah...calling the cops on park workers....I'm in. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back