Ever hunted land wrecks?

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
If your area has roads in hilly areas that cause frequent vehicle wrecks, especially rollover's like the mountain areas around here you might have some exciting short hunts. I'm a bit squeamish about doing recent wrecks so I locate and mark them for a several weeks later visit. Many times here during snow and icy conditions quite a variety of good items are lost during the accident and wrecker recovery. I usually try to return personal items I find from information found in accident reports and it gives me a good rapport with Sheriffs' office and they usually cooperate by giving additional sites. I'm sure this is not for everyone's taste but it's treasure hunting. The picture is of one this winter that I'll be hitting in a few weeks.

Attachments

• note to hunt.jpg
    note to hunt.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 268
B

BIG61AL

sounds like you could find something, just don't be surprised when you find a ring still attached to a finger

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I've hunted a couple, all I found was a couple of zincs and one small cross earing

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Quite a while ago my wife and I ran across a single engine crash near the 4th-of-july mine site in Colorado, the day after it crashed. There were already police or FAA yellow tapes around the site so they hadn't finished their work. The engine was about ten yards from the crash. Ran out of altitude in a narrowing canyon and coudn't turn around.

Last time I looked the FAA has over 350 Colorado only plane crash sites on their records. I've also run across a couple in the high country that had all the paint sand-blasted off the aluminum. Windy.

I've thought about auto wreck sites but feel a bit uncomfortable doing it. And a fellow I worked with a few years ago crashed his plane with his wife aboard. Twin engine plane, all instruments and he had about forty years flying experience. They were on their way to visit their kids I believe, in Colorado.

And out west anyway, there are still flowers and religous articles placed along the road where someone died. My last trip through New Mexico there were four crosses just before an exit ramp.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread