What's new

After almost a year of working at the gas station....

klava

Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2007
Messages
432
Reaction score
3
Golden Thread
0
Location
Them there hills!
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistidor
Someone finally handed me a silver certificate:-)

1935F not sure why it has the F. And this also happens to be my first found SC and my first SC in my collection. im super excited. Wish i had a pic to show everyone but no camera:(

-K
 
Upvote 0
Nice find, you don't see those in change anymore. WHen I was in college I worked in a tollboth on the turnpike and someone handed me a U.S. $10 North Africa occupation note. It is still the prize of my collection. Good Job on the snag :thumbsup:
 
I forgot to comment on the F mark, I am not sure on this but I think it just denotes a particular series. So the 1935 F has different signatures than say the 1935 G. You can post it in the Currency section and they maybe able to tell you more.
 
silvereagle78 said:
I forgot to comment on the F mark, I am not sure on this but I think it just denotes a particular series. So the 1935 F has different signatures than say the 1935 G. You can post it in the Currency section and they maybe able to tell you more.

The "F" and other letters denote the issuing branch of the the Federal Reserve note. An "F" note was issued by the Atlanta branch of the Federal Reserve. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Reserve#List_of_Federal_Reserve_Banks
 
Diver_Down said:
silvereagle78 said:
I forgot to comment on the F mark, I am not sure on this but I think it just denotes a particular series. So the 1935 F has different signatures than say the 1935 G. You can post it in the Currency section and they maybe able to tell you more.

The "F" and other letters denote the issuing branch of the the Federal Reserve note. An "F" note was issued by the Atlanta branch of the Federal Reserve. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Reserve#List_of_Federal_Reserve_Banks

I don't want to argue but I think you are thinking about the letters in the serial numbers, in which case, yes the first letter denotes the issuing branch. I'm pretty sure the F denotes a particular series, when I have time I will research it
 
Thanks everyone.

Yes i understand that the F in the seal on newer notes are for the Atlanta branch. The F on this note is right after the date. Same font and size with no seal. 1935F just like that. Now that's not to say that it doesn't mean its Atlanta. I'm not sure. i need to research myself. Would be interesting to know just how many branches of the FED was around back then.

Thanks for all the thoughts and info though.

-K
 
Whoa now folks. Seems to be some misconceptions floating around here. 1935F is the series designation, nothing more. The year (1935 on your note) used to not be changed unless there was a design change of the note itself. A new letter was added each time a Treasurer or a Secretary of the Treasury was changed. The 'year' 1935 ran from 1935 until 1957, when the $1 silver certificates were issued with series 1957, even though there was no design change. 1935H notes were printed up until 1957 as new notes. However in more recent times, the BEP basically abandoned that method and will change the year when a new Secretary of the Treasury is appointed, but add a letter each time only the Treasurer changes. (also it gets a bit more complicated when you look into the new colorized series of the larger ($5 and up) denominations. So I will use the $1 notes as an example.

Example: ($1 FRN notes)

series 1993: Withrow-Bentsen signatures.
series 1995: Withrow-Rubin signatures. (new series because the Secretary of the Treasury is changed but not the Treasurer)
series 1999: Withrow-Summers signatures. (again, Secretary changes, so new series year)
series 2001: Marin-Oneill signatures. (again, new Secretary, so new series year)
series 2003: Marin-Snow signatures. (once again, new Secretary, new series year)
series 2003A: Cabral-Snow signatures. (here, a new Treasurer is appointed but not a new secretary, so we get a 2003A series)
series 2006: Cabral-Paulson signatures. (currently being printed, new secretary, new series).

Lastly I should mention that the silver certificates are NOT federal reserve notes, so therefore have no issuing federal reserve bank.
The 12 FRBs that are current are the same 12 FRBs that were originally designated in 1913 when the Federal Reserve Banking System was adopted.
 
Well there Dr

Good Work and great information. I learned something new today.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Maybe you should go by Dr Dollar Bill? LOL Or Professor

Mojo
 
Thanks DrDetector, I searched everywhere and couldn't find the information, you have however seemed to set it straight.
 
Nice......very nice K. I hope it is the first of many SC's to come. I bet you were surprised when you saw that huh....lol. I know I would have been.

Congrats!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom