After an Eight Indian day, I just had to sit down!!

DirtDigginDan

Jul 3, 2018
Buffalo,MN
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Propointer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Saturday I had a permission that I only had a little over an hour to hunt, but was sure glad I did as I got my first SLQ of the year!It was way down under a huge root and took over ten minutes to extract it.

Sunday I went out and got a new permission, guy said it was build in 1899 so I had high hopes of at least finding a silver or two. After two and a half hours all I had was about one buck in clad and was feeling a bit down, I have had quite a few of these stinkers this year, will never know if they had been already hit, or just nothing
good had been dropped over the years.:icon_scratch:

Well I still had three hours till dark so I thought I would try something different, the town I was in had a few streets and sidewalks torn out all summer long and I
figured I would give it a try. Never had any luck with tear outs before, but you can`t find anything with the detector in the back seat!

I started down the first sidewalk tear out and only made it a few yards and all of a sudden got a booming 20 signal, I was thinking Indian and when I looked down I could see a bit of a green rim sticking out of the dirt! Once I turned over the clump of dirt, out popped my first Indian! I was pumped now, hadn`t found one in a couple weeks and was glad to see it.

I kept going and not fifty yards later I got a 21-24 signal and was thinking I got a wheat penny, after digging my hole I fished around with my pinpointer for what seemed like a couple minutes and then there it was, a silver rim! I was thinking that was a mighty low reading for a silver and when I flipped it over I saw One Dime and when I flipped it over there she was, my third Seated of the year!! 1889.

Kept going down the sidewalk and when I reached the end I had 4 Indians and the silver! I couldn`t wait to cross the street and come back the other side and
see if anything pops up over there.

Forty minutes on that side of the street and I found four more Indians and the last signal of the day, a 1920 Buffalo!

And to think I ignored this place all summer long, I had run into two other detectorists back in June, and I just assumed they must have hit this since then, its nice to be wrong sometimes!!

20200928_042043.jpg 20200928_035500 (1).jpg 20200928_035434.jpg 20200928_040234 (1).jpg 20200927_154910.jpg 20200927_154927.jpg 20200927_173025.jpg 20200927_154738.jpg 20200926_150012.jpg

Upvote 30

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds. I think those SLQ's must have been very popular back in the day. The way most of them are worn down makes me think they were the "go to" coin back then. The coin that made the 20's roar. Gary

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a fantastic bunch of finds !
Everyone including me likes finding coins in as close to mint as possible but heavily worn Silver coins are really cool !

DavidDigs4Free

May 20, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
Other
I've hunted a couple of road tear outs with minimal success. I think the Gravy is in the Sidewalk Tear Outs. Congrats on those great finds. There's something about digging up an Indian that tickles the snot out of me. LOL I'll keep my eyes peeled for any sidewalk tear outs.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing finds! I've always wanted to hunt a sidewalk tearout! :thumbsup:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds. I think those SLQ's must have been very popular back in the day. The way most of them are worn down makes me think they were the "go to" coin back then. The coin that made the 20's roar. Gary
Yes, although there was a bit of public uproar over Ms. Libertyโ€™s bare breast. That design lasted two years. Dates in general wore fairly quickly in circulation because of the high relief.

That said, to the OP, nice digs Dan.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Hunt!!! Congrats!!!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Nice pile O treasure for your efforts, grats and thanks for posting.

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the great finds in the sidewalk tear out. I have not had the opportunity to try a tear out. Several years ago the town redid the sidewalks on Main Street and I was hopeful, but one crew tour out the sidewalk and the next crew poured the new sidewalk right behind them. At the end of each day there was only about a 12 foot section of sidewalk unpaved and it had reinforcement rods in place so no way to detect. Great job, stay safe and keep swingin.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WoW! Super hunt and great finds!!:occasion14:

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not seen a street tearout in a long time, every time I try to hit them I find coins. Congrats on the good finds!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice batch of coins. I like those 2 silvers, (and 8 Indians is not bad either) !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread