After market coil

junkhunt

Feb 21, 2017
North Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
white's eagle spectrum , White's Spectra V3i, Garrett AT Pro. Garrett AT Pen pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is a after market coil really any better then a stock coil that comes with your detector? What ever brand of detector you have the coil is made for that unit. I have used after market coils before and don't see them being any better than the stock coil. At the end of the day with a after market coil get you any more goodies in your bag than using the stock coil that came with your unit? :tchest:

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had an Teknetics Omega 8000 ver.4 it suffered from EMI with any Teknetics coil i tried.
Put the NEL Sharpshooter on and it became tolerable around power lines...the NEL coil wire was Thick like a garden hose in size compared to the Tek coil wire.
I did not see any depth increase or better separation,but did quit the Omega down,but no better targets than normal.
I hear the Omega ver. 5 and 6 dealt with the EMI problem .
Gary

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For what application?

Smaller objects (tiny gold nuggets, 3¢ silver coins, etc) are easier to find with a smaller coil. Larger coils cover more area but also have trouble in trashy areas and may miss smaller targets.

Concentric at times, DD at other.

Salt, sand, iron soil, weeds, cornfields . . .

One coil can't be the best for all applications.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When it comes to the Fisher line, both the 5"DD and the stock DD are great coils. Many want to go deeper and by an aftermarket coil for that purpose. I did and have a 12 x 15" nel butterfly, great coil, but does have some weight to it. My favorite coil is the nel sharpshooter though since it is smaller then the stock coil, but bigger than the 5". I may be giving up a little depth, but it has better target separation than the stock coil. All 3 after market coils I own ar NEL coils. Many of my permissions have been hit something over the past 40 years by others so the coins that remain are either too deep for older detectors or are in very trashy areas where you need target separation more than depth to find them.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's just my opinion, but I've always figured that the company that designed the detector probably makes the coils that one should choose. I see that several of the above comments cover coil size rather than your original question about "after market" coils. I definitely am sold that different sizes offer an advantage for different hunting situations, but there again I prefer the coils offered by the same brand as the detector.
luvsdux

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i bought the Cors Scout for my Makro Racer 2, but i don't think it detects any better or deeper than the stock coil. I do put it on from time to time and hunt the sites I've already gone over with the stock coil to see if I can coax anything else out and to cover more ground. I find that the VDI numbers are off using the Cors coil, but most of the time I'm ignoring them because i'm going after the deeper signals. Honestly though the stock coil is superior to the Cors coil in every way except ground coverage.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions