Again- I still didnt get what I wanted

Walid1010

Greenie
Oct 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again- I still didn't get what I wanted

Hello again
Well after the discussion i have made i decided to buy the xp deus,and after i tried it on my area i notched it didn't fit my type of search and that deus loves hot rocks, I'm searching on a Roman sites that dotted with stones and hot rocks seeking for roman silver coins at deep depth, so i really want to know which metal detector would work for me, I'm really tired of that.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Don't really know if there is any detector out there that can magically do what you want.
Even using disc iron, metal and hot rocks are still seen and can affect our detectors and signals.
All I can tell you is what I have learned in my short 5.75 years in this hobby using several different detectors.
I don't own and use two different types of units, Tesoros and Fishers with screens, because I am looking for the ultimate detector...I do it because both are fun to use in different ways for me.
I love finding great things and I have found my share but that is secondary, just getting out in the nice weather getting some exercise and quality me time is the actual goal.
Be that as it may I moved from an introductory F2 unit, a machine that went way beyond my expectations in the coins and jewelry it was able to find, into an upper end F70.
I believe most detectors have 2 languages, the one that is obvious that most can learn and then a deeper, hidden language that takes some time and effort to understand and learn but if you do hidden and masked good finds in the middle of difficult sites like iron, trash and hot rocks can still be recognized and recovered.
I was very happy finding the more shallow targets like coins and my specialty, jewelry, for years but after I got that F70 and all its almost unlimited settings possible I decided that it might...might be possible to figure out a way to attack the most difficult sites and still be successful.
It took time and effort and a whole lot of experimentation but in the two years I have swung this thing I have to say I was correct in my assumption and have achieved some jaw dropping results in more than one difficult to hunt site that others never could.
One site had so much iron, large, small and a dense blanket of unbelievable amounts of nails and bits of rusty wire that you couldn't move more than an inch or two without getting iron signals both deep and shallow.
Others hunted this site with some top of the line detectors but all went screaming into the night with hardly anything to show for their efforts never to return.
I am stubborn and even though I also came here over the years with other detectors and came away with nothing I came back with that F70 and decided to stay and experiment till I found the key to opening this site and find the better targets we all suspected might be here but nobody could unmask.
It took hours of trying but eventually I succeeded and many great non ferrous targets started to emerge including several old coins.
I actually learned 2 ways to do this in ridiculously heavy iron, one using disc and one using all metal, and those lessons and skills learned proved beneficial when I came across other iron and trash infested sites.
No targets here were ever solid or stable, even the good ones, but I learned that hidden language and it's clues and indications that enabled me to eventually recognize and pluck out the good stuff while avoiding most of the garbage.
The lessons learned here are going to be some of the most important and useful ones I will ever possess and I will use them to my advantage for the rest of my career.

After this experience I eventually moved back across the country to another state in the deep south where I started and made my bones initially in this hobby and to soil that we call devil dirt because it is so hot, mineralized and difficult to deal with.
Not only that but a park that is close to me, so close I can walk to it, became another learning laboratory because of some other difficult obstacles along with that bad dirt.
This park was built on an old landfill that was used for decades before the park was repurposed and dedicated in the early 1920's and most of the garbage buried to make this park is not deep and well within the range of most detectors, along with that there are two other things here that cause more than grief and frustration to the detectorist that have combed this place for 60 years.
This city has the nickname Steel City because all of the ingredients necessary to make steel and iron are naturally occurring in this soil and steel and iron foundries were a huge part of the history of this place since the late 1800's.

"Birmingham owes its 1871 founding to the geological uniqueness of the Jones Valley, the only place on Earth where large deposits of the three raw materials needed to make iron—coal (for conversion into coke), iron ore, and limestone—existed close together. Named for the industrial heart of Great Britain, the city prospered and grew as the iron, coal, and steel industry expanded."

Not only do we have naturally occurring iron nodules in the worst if this soil, run a magnet though our dirt and you would be surprised on what comes out of it and sticks, but when most of the industrial and residential areas were developed in the early 20th century they decided a good way to reduce the huge amount of slag produced and built up by the foundry process was to distribute it among the fill dirt used at most sites all around the city and for miles beyond.
The effect is basically a depth limiting screen of iron at about the 4-5" depth level.
No matter what brand of detector, introductory, mid range or top of the line, we all seem to be on pretty much an even playing field when it comes to depth because nobody can get much further than that.
To be precise we might get further but no signals past the 3-5" mark makes much sense.
There are no solid for sure positive ID's on anything deeper than 4-5" around here in the bad stuff, everything is jumpy and mixed with iron signals and many gave up hunting in the city or the whole hobby completely because of the severe conditions.
I have friends that are crazy to find older coins and silver but here it takes a lot of way out of the box thinking to do that and find public sites and areas that haven't already been drained of the easy to get to shallow targets that used to be here but no more.
Either that or knock on doors and hunt private homes that still have untouched shallow older coins.
I prefer to hunt public parks and the frustration I had trying to find older coins here in the past, even wheaties, changed me into a shallow coin and jewelry hunter and for a long time I was fine with that and got good at it.
Now I am back and just the shallow stuff isn't good enough anymore so the new challenge is to finally learn to find more...and I love a good challenge.
Oh yea, one more thing I might want to mention about my local park experimenting laboratory...I also have hot rocks and lots of them.
Don't exactly know what they are because they are very light and feel and look like very old pieces of charcoal but I do know they chime in with a nice high tone when you roll your coil over them.
Despite all I have to contend with I decided when I returned here to live after moving away for about 3 years that I would try to use my F70 and all its settings to crack this code and try to get as deep as possible and learn whatever I needed to efficiently find the older, deeper, better coin targets we suspect are down there past that 4-5" area and recognize them for what they actually are and dig them without digging every deeper signal I come across and making my sites look like the crater pocked surface of the moon.
I arrived here at the beginning of July and worked and experimented to get ever deeper and deeper in the worst of the worst soil I came across and try to recognize the good coin and jewelry signals and again I believe I achieved what many others couldn't because recently I am digging up some quality older coins at the 6-7" and I am aiming to get even deeper if possible.
Right now I have discovered that 6-7" range seems to have plenty of fantastic targets we suspected were there but couldn't know for sure...till I cracked that code.
It took time and hours of practice and tweaking of settings to do this and do it consistently but I think I did it and again valuable lessons learned will come in handy forever more in good soil and bad.

I see you have tried several detectors so far without the results you want to see or expect.
How long did you use each one, did you try to understand, really understand that hidden language each one probably has to crack the code in your sites with the obstacles you described, or do you just buy different units hoping that their abilities would automatically conquer those problems?
In my experience none will, or at least they won't without spending time learning to understand them at more than just a surface level.
You have to get deeper, spend some quality time and have patience learning no matter what you stand behind.
I know the Fishers would work in your area, the F70 or F75 has the ability to be successful because I know how they work and what they can do but right out of the box...probably not.
The Deus would probably work too along with some of the others you have tried but none are miracle machines without that understanding of the deeper, hidden language and behavior.
Spend more time with that Deus, ask around about tips, tricks and techniques other owners might know that you don't about dealing with those hot rocks and you might find you already have the right tool for the job but not the knowledge you need to be as successful as you want to be...yet.

Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Walid1010

Walid1010

Greenie
Oct 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm considering buying either Whites TDI pro or Blisstool v6 they both are good with unmasking targets near or under rocks/stones, which one you recommend for my demand.

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Have you purchased the book on the Deus to give even a deeper look into it's capabilities and programming before canning it? Just a thought. I had a Deus and bought the book and read it a lot. Then I attended a one day school put on by Andy Sabisch the author.

I after reading the book had a better understanding.....then attending the class which may not be a option for you unlocked the detector even more. Just a lot of bells and whistles on that machine and gets quite busy tweaking it rather than hunting.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm considering buying either Whites TDI pro or Blisstool v6 they both are good with unmasking targets near or under rocks/stones, which one you recommend for my demand.

In my opinion, you are making a HUGE mistake buying either of those two machines. It is pretty clear that you do not have much experience, and have not mastered the XPD. I think you should go in a completely different direction. Keep the Deus, and get an inexpensive Tesoro Silver uMax, or a Tesoro Cibola. BOTH will disc out hot rocks and get the silver.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Check out his other posts.
He lives in Jordan, got the Deus, his first detector, at the end of October.
Couldn't have put much time on it so far but it didn't do what he thought it would out of the box.
Like I mentioned he is looking for that magical detector that will work perfectly for anyone including those without experience.
Now he wants to dump it and is looking at two others including a PI.
Not sure he realizes how crazy this choice would be for a guy that wants to avoid digging iron.
We all know how this is all going to shake out, somebody needs to buy a vowel and get a huge clue.

Spending time behind that Deus for awhile is your one shot to salvage any hope of staying in this hobby.
There are basics you need to learn and then much more to be able to do what you want to do.

Switching detectors would be a great thing...for the person you pay to buy another new one and then the one after that.
It won't ever end, you are on the hunt for that magical detector that doesn't exist, you need to stop and learn what you have in your hands right now.
I hope you understand what I am trying to get across to you because that long post from this morning sure went right over your head...but if you don't I hope you have some very deep pockets.

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree that the learning curve has not anywhere been achieved by the OP. And yes, that magical detector does not exist, the reason most folks have more than one with different capabilities. The Deus has been proven in the UK with great finds once people learn the machine. I have read stories and talked to folks that bought a Deus and some logged 100+ hours until very proficient with it. I had maybe 40-50 hours on mine when I sold it and was starting to learn it and understand settings and writing your own programs a bit.

I hope the OP would buy the book; read it; study it; frequent the forum for the Deus; and work it. Otherwise yes, this will be one costly venture on the magnitude of restoring that old British Aston Martin sitting in the barn that granddad Joe gave you that just needs a little fixing!!!!!!

Also the other person benefiting in this will be the one who buys his second hand/used detectors!!!! Good luck OP and please listen to the words of advice here. I have been doing this a year now and still learning every time I go out.

OP
OP
Walid1010

Walid1010

Greenie
Oct 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My friend want to buy it from me with the same price, a plus indecision machine would work for me, maybe TDI pro idk

But i just want to know which one is deeper Blisstool v6 or TDI pro?

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
"Sigh"

Not an inkling of a hint of a clue.....

Tell ya what, if you love digging iron and every other piece if metal laying in the ground get the TDI.
Way deep, no disc like VLF detectors, of course, but that won't matter to you for the 2 hunts you will use it on then pronounce it no good for your hunting needs.

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You already have the machine that will meet all your needs, what you do not have is the time and experience to use this machine to its full capabilities. Visit forums and ask many questions about the Deus, watch online videos of persons using the Dues in similar conditions to yours and most importantly, get out there and use the machine and become familiar with it. Pretend it is the only machine there is and keep using it until it becomes second nature. You will then start making those finds you dream of.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread