Agate Batch prepolished

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
Just started a new batch of agates and miscellaneous other rocks in a round of tumbling. Just kind of a random group of local agate, coral, and wood. Saw cut some of what I had on hand and didn't think much on any particular piece until I just pulled it out of the barrel- was changing from 60-100 grit to a 500 grit- and saw some awesome red/white colors pop out! Can't wait to see how they end up! <--- but that will be a 3 weeks or more....
PEACE.

Agates plus  9 13 batch 1.JPG Agates plus  9 13 batch 2.JPG

OP
OP
1more4me

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
And since there was so much interest.... Here is some of them finished.
PEACE
Agate batch finished 1.JPG Agate batch finished 6.JPG Agate batch finished 8.JPG Agate batch finished 3.JPG Agate batch finished 4.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
Question: Did you set aside a small group and "dry tumble" them first?.. this would have soften the edges a bit and even shaped the stones alittle better.. I've found that by dry tumbling.. I get better shaped stones.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
1more4me

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
Mamabear, about 30 days total- started 60-100, then 500, then Aluminum oxide, then an Ivory soap burnish for a few hours.

Stone Whisperer, No- did not dry tumble. These were all picked up in Louisiana so they been tumbled a long ways just to get here...
This started as kind of a junk extras batch just to see- most had fractures or inconsistent shapes. Probably the worst thing- I had every size in there- tiny to way to big in the batch. That caused a lot of the fractures to break off. I let my son cut most of them into workable shapes- but none were intended for cabs- just cutting off odd and excess. However- now I see there are a few I might like to re-work!

The single stone in one pic- Any idea what the common or proper name is? I guess cloudy jasper - that is the first and only of that type I've ever found around here. Has some opacity and colorful but no striations?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread