What's new

Age of Lock?....Button?.....Axe head?

Evolution

Gold Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2007
Messages
5,285
Reaction score
2,483
Golden Thread
0
Location
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of these were finds I made recently at a colonial site I like to hunt. The button has a "John Robinson Extra Rich" backmark. No markings on the front of the button...Just a flat one piece button. Can anyone estimate the age of any of these three items?

Item #1 Button...
DSCN0022.webp

Item #2 Lock....
DSCN0013.webp

Item #3 Very small axe head.
DSCN0026.webp
DSCN0027.webp
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0022.webp
    DSCN0022.webp
    30 KB · Views: 364
  • DSCN0013.webp
    DSCN0013.webp
    39.4 KB · Views: 341
  • DSCN0026.webp
    DSCN0026.webp
    38.9 KB · Views: 444
  • DSCN0027.webp
    DSCN0027.webp
    27.9 KB · Views: 332
very nice finds,I couldn't find that back mark on my list,but I am sure somebody will have the answer for you.

fortbball9
 
Upvote 0
I'm going to get in early and say WOWWWWWWWWWW :o ::) :o ::) :o :icon_pirat: ::) :o :thumbsup: ;D

Mike
 
Upvote 0
I have been looking in "American Military Button Makers and Dealers' Their Backmarks & Dates" by McGuinn and Bazelon and there are quite a few backmarks listed from the Robinsons companies dating to 1812 and continuing with civilian buttons until 1874. I did not find a backmark for a John Robinson but it may just be one they missed or was unaware of. To render a guess as to the age I would put it at around 1845 to 1855. Just a guess and it could very well be older than that. It may even be one of the older models. Nice button.
 
Upvote 0
Your axe looks like a small trade belt axe...very nice!
 
Upvote 0
How big is the lock? It looks like a wrought iron lever lock, often called a "smokehouse lock" or "smokie," dating from the mid to late 1800's.

Any marks on the brass drop (keyhole cover)?
 
Upvote 0
PBK said:
How big is the lock? It looks like a wrought iron lever lock, often called a "smokehouse lock" or "smokie," dating from the mid to late 1800's.

Any marks on the brass drop (keyhole cover)?
I threw a nickel in there for size reference. The lock cover says "patent" and is identical in size and shape to one i found the other day (without the lock)
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0021.webp
    DSCN0021.webp
    23.2 KB · Views: 322
  • DSCN0028.webp
    DSCN0028.webp
    33.8 KB · Views: 258
  • DSCN0021.webp
    DSCN0021.webp
    23.2 KB · Views: 249
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom