What's new

All bent up

MSRelic

Full Member
Joined
Feb 18, 2010
Messages
136
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, Etrac
All brass. First two pics are as I found it. Wide piece has a long diamond shape to it. Obviously haven't attempted to straighten it out.

Thanks for any replies.

IMG_1205.webp

IMG_1206.webp

IMG_1207.webp
 
Looks like some sort of aword hook but I've never seen one like that. If you want to straighten it. Heat it in boiling water then straighen it just a bit at a time. You may have to put it in the boiling water several times. I straightended quite a few brass relics that way.
 
Upvote 0
vayank54 said:
Looks like some sort of a sword hook but I've never seen one like that.

I think you're right vayank. I found this image of one found at Gettysburg on horsesoldier.com. The full size image was not accessible.

Sure looks a lot like what I found. Just a different style.

Thanks a lot for the lead!

Sword Hanger.webp
 
Upvote 0
I've dug one like the one in the Horse soldier's link but have never seen one like your's. did you dig it in a house site or civil war camp?
 
Upvote 0
vayank54 said:
I've dug one like the one in the Horse soldier's link but have never seen one like your's. did you dig it in a house site or civil war camp?

Dug it in a pasture on our place here in Mississippi. Been finding mostly civilian stuff dating early and late 19th century.
 
Upvote 0
Cool. It might be civilian but might be a CS made one too. Hopefully someone will know.
 
Upvote 0
vayank54 said:
Cool. It might be civilian but might be a CS made one too. Hopefully someone will know.

Battle of Port Gibson was several miles south of our place. I've found lots of bullets and some nice relics from the CW on the battlefield. The Confederate retreat and Grant's subsequent line of march passed near but not on our place based on maps I have studied. Cavalry action in these parts was wide spread so it may be CW. Thanks again for your help.
 
Upvote 0
Found a third piece today, near where I found the first ones.

IMG_1208.webp
 
Upvote 0
That's a neat relic MSRelic :icon_thumright:

I think you guys are on the right track on the ID. Not sure wether it's a sword belt hanger or other horse harness relic :dontknow:

I found one of those listed horsesoldier.com, which IMO had same function as your relic.
 

Attachments

  • 016.webp
    016.webp
    35.4 KB · Views: 443
Upvote 0
IronSpike said:
That's a neat relic MSRelic :icon_thumright:

I think you guys are on the right track on the ID. Not sure wether it's a sword belt hanger or other horse harness relic :dontknow:

I found one of those listed horsesoldier.com.

You found a nice one IronSpike! :icon_thumleft: Looks like a belt (or harness leather) looped through the piece I found today.

Thanks for posting that pic.
 
Upvote 0
I don't know now. I've dug and seen the pieces like the one you just dug and had alwys heard they were something to do with a harness. I had never seen them attached to anything thoug. It sure looks like it could have gone with the other pieces you dug. Hmm I guess I don't know everything after all. :'(
 
Upvote 0
vayank54 said:
I don't know now. I've dug and seen the pieces like the one you just dug and had alwys heard they were something to do with a harness. I had never seen them attached to anything thoug. It sure looks like it could have gone with the other pieces you dug. Hmm I guess I don't know everything after all. :'(

No problem Vayank. I found the third piece within 10 feet of where I found the first and it hooks in perfectly, so I think it all goes together.

I read through the old thread that IronSpike linked in his post. No conclusion was ever reached one way or the other. I spent an hour looking at horse tack (gag bits) on the web and never saw anything resembling what we have dug. The ones you and IronSpike dug seem to be better quality than mine, for whatever that's worth.
 
Upvote 0
MSRelic said:
vayank54 said:
Looks like some sort of a sword hook but I've never seen one like that.

I think you're right vayank. I found this image of one found at Gettysburg on horsesoldier.com. The full size image was not accessible.

Sure looks a lot like what I found. Just a different style.

Thanks a lot for the lead!

I had originally thought this style was a sword hanger, but now it appears that they are horse-related... :-\
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom