What's new

All metal or discriminate mode?

JSM1986

Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2014
Messages
87
Reaction score
195
Golden Thread
1
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab safari
Tecknetics Omega 8000
Garret AT PRo
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wich one is better?
 
Run all metal and dig everything until you learn your machine. The tones and meters will become familiar, then discriminate.
 
I run zero discrimination and adjust my sensitivity accordingly. I use the 2+ tone on my T2 and dig every high tone and deep iron grunts.

All metal is too much for the sites I dig. If I'm trying to find and iron patch in a large field then I'll run all - metal and criss cross the field. Once I start hearing chatter I'll walk towards the densest part then switch into zero discrimination.
 
I would say that depends on the md the experiance of the person and the location.
 
All metal should give you all the sensitivity and depth your machine is capable of. However, as mentioned above, that can drive you nuts in trashy areas. Being sensitive to every small bit of iron, aluminum etc. is not always desirable.
luvsdux
 
Depends on the machine and if "all metal" is a true all metal mode not just a discrimination mode with the discrimination set to a low level.
 
reply

Depends on the machine and if "all metal" is a true all metal mode not just a discrimination mode with the discrimination set to a low level.

UK brian brings up an excellent point: All too often people erroneously refer to a mode where they are "hearing all" as necessarily "all metal". But the truth is, if such a mode is tone-ID, or they're relying on their meter, etc... then by logical definition, that's not true "all-metal". Because they're still relying on their ears and sounds to discern highs versus lows, and so forth. True all-metal is where all metals sound exactly the same. Those that came up in the generations of all-metal VLF (before the advent of tone ID's ) know this all-too-well :)
 
When using my XLT, I set it on coins and jewelry program. I still get a brief grunt from iron and it displays.
With the PI, I scoop everything. Frank...
111-1 profile.webp
 
Frank rules again. Great advice.
Your display will help you most initially. Once you are familiar w your machine, sounds are key.
Good luck...
Peace
 
Depending on the detector , trash and ground mineralisation all metal usually gives the best depth , adjust to suit , I always dig every target ,trash can disguise treasure..cheers Mick
 
I always wondered if there was a difference between "all metal " mode and a zero discrimination setting ? interesting thread !
(I need to get my MXT users guide out and review it )
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom