What's new

Always have an idea how much you have before you cash in.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2006
Messages
2,539
Reaction score
228
Golden Thread
0
Location
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Earlier this week, I was cashing in some rejects and got the total which at first seemed about right, but after I left I added up everything in my head and I was about $20 short. This was one of the few instances I didn't bring them in to the self serve coin counting machine and instead had a teller run them through the machine.

I called back in and talked to the teller and explained that I thought I was about $20 short and asked her to read through the breakdown of the coins from the receipt she had from the machine. As she read them, all were either right or close enough that I couldn't tell except one denomination and that was the only one I knew exactly what I had since I had looked through exactly 53 rolls of nickels ($106) and taken out only about couple of dollars worth or so, but the nickel total came back around $85. As I explained that I knew I had just over $100 in nickels, she said that couldn't be right, the bag fills at $100 and it didn't fill up.

Well, she said she would look into it and get back to me in a day or two, but she said it would be very unusual for the machine to be off that far (appox. 400 coins). Today she called back and their auditor said the coin machine was off just over $20. :D Ended up getting my money back (plus a little I think).

As most of you know I run through a lot of coins, but this was the first time I have actually been able to say with confidence that their machine was wrong. Now if it was off a couple coins, I wouldn't even know since I mainly buy bags with inaccurate counts to begin with, but in this case it was from rolls and the total was way off.

Moral of the story: Have at least a close idea of what you are cashing in as the machines can be off. If it is off, don't be afraid to question it.

She said they having the machine serviced.




On a different note I picked up 2 boxes of half dollars the other day as well.....all 2000-P....again. Oh well, cash those in tomorrow.

And as I was cashing in rejects at a different bank just prior to buying the halves I asked the teller if she had any old currency....what luck she did.

1 - $5 United States Note (1953)
1 - $10 Federal Reserve Note (1934D Fed Bank B)
1 - $20 Federal Reserve Note (1934B Fed Bank I) <-- in nice shape for its age only one big fold down the center

And the last item, found a 1953-D Wheat in the take-a-penny cup in the work cafeteria.
 
Upvote 0
I agree with you GMan, I've been burnt before. Fortunately when I did the bank called me to say they were $10 off in my favor. A couple of times they've given me $10-$50 more then they said they did. Unfortunately they called then too. (That old Monopoly card, "Bank Error In Your Favor, $20" is bogus!)

Great currency finds! Any pics?

B
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom