am I the only african American that metal detects?

nleet22

Jan 5, 2014
lancaster pa
Detector(s) used
Garret ace 250, AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
Upvote 14

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
Half black here, do I count?

Depends on who you ask. Filipino Creation Story, for instance.

God tried to bake a human, but pulled it out of the oven too fast. Came out white and undercooked.

God tried again, but waited too long. Came out burnt.

God tried again, split the difference, and it came out brown and cooked just right.

timnugget

Mar 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello nleet22.
it is the same for me lol,
I am African, and here in France, I never seen an other African man who metal Detects.
So many people are surprised to see me faith in the fields lol.

happy hunting all

Notsuredomus

Aug 12, 2012
Classic Hill Mine, Siskiyou County
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Whites GMT
Garret ProPointer
Bazooka Gold Trap Super Prospector
Fossicker Production Pan
Proline 3in Dredge/Highbanker Combo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol nleet... I really don't know to many other metal detectorists, so I couldn't say. However I have been Backpacking my whole life. I have met many thousands of other backpackers on the wilderness trails and only met one that was black. I am not sure why that is. In my opinion any hobby that gets you out in the wild places where we can experience the beauty of nature and remember what it means to be free is something everyone should do. I hiked with the guy for several hours and he said all his black friends think he is nuts and are convinced that he will end up being eaten by a bear. My grandmother used to worry all the time about me hiking alone so much. She was convinced I would get eaten as well. I told her I am in more danger on the 2 hour drive to the trail head than I am the 2 weeks I will be in the mountains. She never bought it. Since metal detecting is often done in the out of the way places maybe the reason there are so few blacks who MD is for a similar reason as backpacking. If you are ever in Northern California or Oregon look me up. Maybe we can do some Gold Nugget Shooting (909) 714-1404 Keep it Wild!

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi nleet22; Gladly. I am white. My best digging partner is black. I have several black friends who go digging with m,e all the time. I've been digging for 45 years now literally. I don't care about color. I care about your heart PERIOD. So tell her that color hasv no place in the detecting world ok. PEACE:RONB :occasion14:

Fourwayz

Jun 18, 2007
Out Biking
Detector(s) used
Still deciding IF I want to try again
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi nleet22, Nope! you're not alone by a long shot. I am black here in NC and have yet to see another Black person swing a detector. I have been swinging detectors since 1994. Many people have asked me all manner of questions EXCEPT your question. Mostly what's your best find?

Johnnoh

Aug 30, 2008
RI
Detector(s) used
CTX, EQ-600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wish the world would stop seeing color already! A man is a man is a man, same for woman, skin tones don't matter, and as soon as people realize that, everybody will be better off. Mike

I blame the race baiting politicians - always trying to divide us and categorize us by color, race, "class", religion, etc. they don't want us to focus on the things that bring us together as humans.

Glassdigger

Apr 27, 2012
Tarlton Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Garrett AT Pro, White's Sierra Madre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I met a guy in Columbus Ohio at a group hunt. There's a young African American boy who hangs with me at one of the Columbus parks who seems very interested in the hobby. If I see him this summer I was thinking about giving him one of my machines. Seems to be a good kid.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nleet22,
If you able to claim the distinction of being the only African American on Tnet I think I can claim the distinction of being the ugliest Hillbilly. Come to think of it I have some friends who might give me a close race for the title. Long and short of it, just glad to have another friend to promote our hobby. Happy hunting my friend.:laughing7:

Im2stoked

Jan 23, 2013
Miami, FL
Detector(s) used
Excal II
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
im 35 and when I started all my friends were like "isn't that for old people" and now the hobbies mostly split, young and old. Give it a few years and you'll be saying "remember when I was the only black guy."

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
OOPS! Wrong post..

Last edited:

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Metal detecting is pretty much for anyone who will enjoy it, I don't think that race has much to do with it. I only know about three people in my town who metal detect so don't ask me.

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
At the beaches I've ONLY seen middle aged to old white guys. Being white myself even I have occasionally questioned why that's the case. At parks I've only seen white guys and a couple of Hispanics. Actually they were El Salvadorian. I know because we were talking for a bit. Of the white guys who I've seen detect they either come across as retired and middle to upper middle class or straight up white trash. Where I fit in? No idea, but I'm neither old, nor retired. just white.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who you calling old?????? LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions