Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find for sure. I'm glad to see something like this gained recognition here. I once dug a 18th century French fur trader knife and a large iron musket ball (buried together) and they never made banner. They're both on display today in a private collection.

Extra Note: It is commonly believed that all musket balls were made of lead. This is not correct. The early Spanish used iron balls. In fact the first known gunshot victim in the Americas was an Inca Indian killed by an iron musket ball nearly 500 years ago in Peru. National Geographic has published extensive information in regard to this scientifically proven fact.

Anyway, I'm glad to see these iron objects are finally being noticed.

Well done.

Last edited:

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you say war axe, Exactly what do you mean? I'm sitting here looking at the handle and it looks awfull long for a war axe ( or maybe what i think of as a war axe ) Or are you speaking of a time frame?.....HH

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exellent axe find.:icon_thumleft:

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Definitely an early Broad Ax

Hi, I finally got organized and had my first dive. BRRRR I only searched big hits. I got about 5 musket balls and this amazing axe with makers mark and oak handle. Is anyone familiar with makers mark?? I cleaned it and waxed it. I'm not sure if the wood will make it or not. View attachment 623141 View attachment 623140 View attachment 623143

I found one in an 1838 fort site, but unidentifyable and not same pattern. I gave it to a museum. Since recovering the ax, to preserve properly is best accomplished with freeze drying. However, this can only be accomplished in a lab-besides, cracks in wood may splinter the handle. The other method is to keep it immersed in distilled water, longer if found in salt or brackish water, changing out the bath continuously. After that, it soak it in melted-warm parafin wax. Remove and dry. Do several dips. Once dry, seal in a satin plastic spray. Same last step spray can be used on the axhead too. Excellent historical find. Note, this can be an imported hardware item from England. However, if made in USA, check for this name in US Govt. patent indexes-available on microfische CSI series at most larger libraries. Either access patent claims for axes, broad axes, hardware or the name itself. Good Luck.

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Date Please.

Great source material, but still confused why you think it was either made or lost in 1812. 1812 would be the last year of production, thats all, then its got to travel there etc. Or it was made in some period before 1812, ie when was the makers mark first used?
This find is unusual enough that it warrants a more in-depth dating.

We've seen the News clipping which shows that it was made in or before 1812, BUT, the clipping also shows more names than Stone & Ash. This "seems" to suggest that the axe was manufactured prior to (at least) Jacob Roberts becoming a part of the company. I would tend to believe that financial assistance was required. so Roberts (and later Hodgson) bought partnerships in the Co. Personally, if I put out enough cash to have my name at the top of the list, I'd also want my name to join Stone & Ash on the product.

Of course, I'm just speculating here, judging by the way business works in this day and age. (lol)

All in all, I congratulate you on a superb recovery.

Eagle

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread