Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yesterday I decided to go on a short woods hunt despite the crazy heat and humidity.
One hour into my hunt I was drenched in sweat and was about to call it quits when I got a perfect signal with my Deus.
When I first saw it I could make out the cannons and thought military button, but quickly ruled that out cause of the size, heaviness and of course no shank.
Instead what I have here is a British Army Board of Ordnance cloth seal,( lead seal attached to cloth)
The B.O. was charged with supplying weapons, ammo and equipment to the British Army.
The broad arrow was used in England apparently from the mid 16th century
to mark objects purchased from the monarch and also to indicate Gov property
and so was the Boards mark.
Issues in the Crimean war brought about
the boards demise in 1855.
An inch in diameter, this Army seal was used
as a security measure, while pressed into cloth to show if it had been tampered with.
An exact duplicate of this early cloth seal
was unearthed at an archeological dig in Tasmania and is in a permanent exhibition
at the Queen Victoria Museum there.
Here’s the link
https://www.manchester.ac.uk/discover/news/article/?id=7318
And
Cloth Seal, Broad Arrow, Board of Ordnance

Sent from my iPhone

Attachments

• 8AA6AD27-6059-46BF-A79E-39F54BE2E316.jpeg
    8AA6AD27-6059-46BF-A79E-39F54BE2E316.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 159
  • FF04D7F3-0911-4346-A2E1-8C9415A85F56.jpeg
    FF04D7F3-0911-4346-A2E1-8C9415A85F56.jpeg
    602.3 KB · Views: 114
  • 1A63FAA4-BABC-4334-ACFB-B65056FBA8A1.jpeg
    1A63FAA4-BABC-4334-ACFB-B65056FBA8A1.jpeg
    595.8 KB · Views: 125
Upvote 23
Wow, that is an awesome find and well worth the trouble and sweat that you went thru to get it. a stunning find of history for sure and super high in the cool factor. if that didn't put a smile on your face, nothing will! congrats

Wow, that is an awesome find and well worth the trouble and sweat that you went thru to get it. a stunning find of history for sure and super high in the cool factor. if that didn't put a smile on your face, nothing will! congrats
Thanks Dirtlooter, yes I love this being my first seal of any kind.
So much History behind it.

Awesome bale seal! :icon_thumleft:

I have tons of them, but not one as historic as yours...congratulations! :occasion14:

Damn dude that thing is incredible!

Congrats. I only have one partial cloth seal from that period and not nearly as nice as yours. Mine too has hand etched marks in the back of it which I think further helped to identify what was being sealed or how much cloth remained

Super find. Congrats :coffee2:

I can't think of what would be a better or more interesting lead seal to dig, and I'd surely rather that over most Artillery buttons too.... had to say most because there's a few early rare British ones I have in my head that I'd have to take. :) Heck I love my large London ship seal from a couple of years back and I don't even have a history to go with it, so yours would easily be a fav. for me, like I'm sure it already is for you.

Congrats. I only have one partial cloth seal from that period and not nearly as nice as yours. Mine too has hand etched marks in the back of it which I think further helped to identify what was being sealed or how much cloth remained
Yes I love that fact that it has some etched marks on it.

I can't think of what would be a better or more interesting lead seal to dig, and I'd surely rather that over most Artillery buttons too.... had to say most because there's a few early rare British ones I have in my head that I'd have to take. :) Heck I love my large London ship seal from a couple of years back and I don't even have a history to go with it, so yours would easily be a fav. for me, like I'm sure it already is for you.

Oh ya just love the history behind this cloth seal.
It would be a treat to see your Lobdon ship seal.
Tks Iron patch

Oh ya just love the history behind this cloth seal.
It would be a treat to see your Lobdon ship seal.
Tks Iron patch

Can't tell the size from the picture, but is bigger than what we usually find.

Attachments

• q5.jpg
    q5.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 70
  • q6.jpg
    q6.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 68
Amazing find and amazing story behind it

Can't tell the size from the picture, but is bigger than what we usually find.

Wow that’s a cool London seal.
I see the ship with flags.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back