Amazing Cut PINE TREE SHILLING!!!!!

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I found my first cut silver, and it sure is a nice one! I'm fairly certain it is a Pine Tree Shilling, which would make it my oldest coin so far. I've neglected to post my best finds so far this year, but I have to say, these fields are producing quite nicely. I will do a catch up post tomorrow with the highlights from my hunts at this site so far. I felt this find deserved its own post. I found this about 4 inches down with my new 11"x13" coil for the Deus. If anyone can help me identify the variety of the coin I would appreciate it. Are cut coins like this worth grading?

Attachments

• pinetree1.jpg
    pinetree1.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 417
  • pinetree2.jpg
    pinetree2.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 410
Upvote 25

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow congrats buddy.it looks amazing to.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE! That is definitely one to hang on to.... right? :)

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
NICE! That is definitely one to hang on to.... right? :)

Well now that depends :tongue3: I've never sold any of my coin finds before, but you never know... I found it at the same site as the Rattlesnake button, just on the complete opposite side of the meadow. Do you think it may be worth getting it slabbed?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well now that depends :tongue3: I've never sold any of my coin finds before, but you never know... I found it at the same site as the Rattlesnake button, just on the complete opposite side of the meadow. Do you think it may be worth getting it slabbed?

Slabbed for what reason? You answer that, and I'll tell you what I think.

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome find! No 1600s sites in my area! (Jealous)

Thank you. I'm jealous of your area. You can't walk along a lake shore without tripping over beautiful quartz arrowheads. My dad lives down in Six Mile, SC. I've driven through Charlotte a few times on my way to visit. Beautiful city.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• pine_tree_n05_2obv.jpg
    pine_tree_n05_2obv.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 1,133
  • pine_tree_n05_2rev.jpg
    pine_tree_n05_2rev.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 1,110
OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the ID, IP. I think I will be pounding every square inch of the area I found it tomorrow. If I'm lucky, maybe they dropped a few more bits out there.

RelicHunter97

Sep 10, 2010
Western Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So, uh, when are we gonna get together so you can show me these spots? xD

All jokes aside, amazing dig! Still waiting for one of those!

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super 1600s find! :thumbsup:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the ID, IP. I think I will be pounding every square inch of the area I found it tomorrow. If I'm lucky, maybe they dropped a few more bits out there.

Anywhere a coin that old is found who knows what else might show up. What's the earliest stuff you've found in the area? Maybe you're missing a very old small site that's close. Here, if someone finds a cob it's a sign there's likely an early French site very close, because that's where all the cobs are found.

Last edited:

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
wow, superb piece! If you were to try grading it, check with them first to see if cut silver is anything they'd slab. Not sure I've ever seen it, but then again I haven't really looked, haha.

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Anywhere a coin that old is found who knows what else might show up. What's the earliest stuff you've found in the area? Maybe you're missing a very old small site that's close. Here if someone finds a cob it's a sign there's likely an early French site very close, because that's where all the cobs are found.

I've found 2 or 3 William III coins, a 1771 2 Real, plenty of KGII coppers and an old apothecary weight. The site dates from 1654. It was heavily farmed and was home to many small shops for a long time. Its 2,300 acres of open fields, and many of my finds have been spread out all over.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a remarkable find - the condition is amazing ,- on rarity, and age, and condition - I'm going BANNER !!!
oh and because it is extremely early New England SILVER !!!! Great Find !

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found 2 or 3 William III coins, a 1771 2 Real, plenty of KGII coppers and an old apothecary weight. The site dates from 1654. It was heavily farmed and was home to many small shops for a long time. Its 2,300 acres of open fields, and many of my finds have been spread out all over.

Yeah William III gets back there. But I still wouldn't discount a nice little patch close to where you got it.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions