What's new

Amazing finds from Washington State

digordie

Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2012
Messages
361
Reaction score
125
Golden Thread
0
Hey guys I am brand new to the sight but i wanted to post these finds from a friend of mine who just found this large cache of large blades on a river in a northeast wash state. Any help with id would be great. Thanks
NOTE: these are all displayed in the bottom of banana boxes for size comparison. The one large blade was broke in half but measures 6" wide by 18" long.
 

Attachments

  • downloadfile-5.webp
    downloadfile-5.webp
    39.9 KB · Views: 233
  • downloadfile-4.webp
    downloadfile-4.webp
    40.2 KB · Views: 226
  • downloadfile-3.webp
    downloadfile-3.webp
    40.4 KB · Views: 207
  • downloadfile-2.webp
    downloadfile-2.webp
    40.6 KB · Views: 237
Upvote 0
Id give anything to be my friend right now and to have been the one to have found this cache. I know for a fact that he isnt even into this kind of thing. He just likes to work and found it while working on a construction job on the river. I live in illinois.
 
I dont know....probably cause I have never heard of that many being found at one time in one spot. And all look to be made from the same material. I still say lets get a closer look at them otherwise I would have to say something stinks.
 
I have to ask.... If you had nothing to gain from this post....(pitch)..whatever you want to call it...why would you start a new membership on this website with boxes of points. Sorry pal.. I'm no fool. I've been around.
 
You all could be right. For all i know i could be the sucker getting scammed here. Anyways ill keep ya posted with any updates. My friend knows how much i enjoy this hobbie so he could be pulling my leg big time. Im baffled by the fact that there are so many as well.
 
Started the membership to get some id help and opinions on this cache find. Thanks for all the input.
 
Cool bro..yeah let us know. Its definately interesting.
 
definitely let us know man, everybody here is very passionate and some what opinionated but ultimately want to help each other, we strive everyday to admire and preserve the past, and when ones personal knowledge and integrity are tested it hits the wrong nerve. if that find is legit your friend might be on the next cover of national geographic or forbes mag haha, but just my humble option, no way, but we would like to see your finds thats why were here, chears
 
Very well put! BRAVO
 
Apparently my friend will not send me any more pics on line because a cop showed up asking strange questions. He did tell me he has found about 10 more banana boxes of these things. I got him on the phone but he wouldnt talk much. He thinks he is being watched. I told him to tell the local authorities abt the find but he is nervous. He said its on the banks of a large river in pend orielle county abt 35-40 miles from colville. He said the river is low and has revealed the mound of flakes and points. He says there are 100s more still there and the area is spread out in a circumference the size of a house with the peak of the mound being abt a foot high. He has zero experience dealing with this stuff and actually used a hammer claw to did through pile. This whole story seems too good to be true to me but how on earth could he come up with that many points. Do you guys think this story sounds legit or is he pulling my leg?
Do I think he is pulling you leg.He could be or could not be By the numbers of boxes he has he would have over 300 points .I have a couple of question. If they are made by a modern knapper why would there be so many of the same shape? Why would there be pictures of brokens ones that matches? One that is broke is 6 in wide and 18 in long ,those two pieces could have been used to make a couple of smaller ones.Why would some be made really well and alot be made so crude?
 
So cap are you saying they are real? I still want to see one up close to determine it.
 
Ok I will throw it out there. It is not uncommon to find that many pieces in some burials.But that style and size? I do not know. The trick is the I.D on the points and the material in question. Look up Duck river cache. They are still out there. I have seen blades that looked like swords come out of tiny creek banks. Amazing. The bad thing is location where found and permission if real. If he is clueless about what he found he needs to find out quickly and recover all pieces before they are gone. I hope that they are real and the find is not questioned. He needs to get permission from the land owner to hunt artifacts and go back and recover everything and then go from there ???
Good luck and welcome to t-net the world's premier treasure hunting web site !!!! : )
 
how often does someone find all pieces of every broke.... in a river?
Hey Gator, what he said, was found on the banks of a large river and was digging with the claws of a hammer.
 
I hope they are real and he shares them with you guys. I'm just saying I don't buy it.
 
So cap are you saying they are real? I still want to see one up close to determine it.
I very well think they could be . I am not a expert or artifacts or a expert knapper. The way I see all the pieces.That is not what a modern knapper would do.
There looks to be some well made points with notches and some well made triangilar points.Most knappers just wouldnt take the time to make that many pieces when he has the ability to do notches. It looks like most are made from obsidian and a few may be made from novaculite. I may be wrong been wrong before. The only other thing I can think of if they are modern, is, could be junk that was pick up from a knapp- in where alot of beginers was learning.
 
The boxes have NW styles from different periods made from the exact same material....There is an over abundance of obsidian for the cultural area....there is a huge over abundance of mahogony obsidian for a single site...these are mostly knives and my guess is that they were made by someone who wanted to haft them and sell modern indian knife repros....like this....

images
 
I know they did a lot of trading and they would of liked that material especially if they didnt have any. But my concern is that I just cant see them close enough to see if it has any patina on them and of course the flaking as in which direction it goes. I havent found too many killers this yr so I have started looking hard at different periods as to their strike on their stones when making artifacts. I have actually bought some Paleo items just to study their flaking. And most of mine are Early to Middle Archaic to Woodland. so I am well aware of their strikes as well. And of course over strike flaking. That is why I need to see a closer look. I would hate for them to be real and call the something else. I just need a closer look than in a banana box. Thanks, rock
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom