What's new

Amazing finds from Washington State

digordie

Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2012
Messages
361
Reaction score
125
Golden Thread
0
Hey guys I am brand new to the sight but i wanted to post these finds from a friend of mine who just found this large cache of large blades on a river in a northeast wash state. Any help with id would be great. Thanks
NOTE: these are all displayed in the bottom of banana boxes for size comparison. The one large blade was broke in half but measures 6" wide by 18" long.
 

Attachments

  • downloadfile-5.webp
    downloadfile-5.webp
    39.9 KB · Views: 233
  • downloadfile-4.webp
    downloadfile-4.webp
    40.2 KB · Views: 226
  • downloadfile-3.webp
    downloadfile-3.webp
    40.4 KB · Views: 207
  • downloadfile-2.webp
    downloadfile-2.webp
    40.6 KB · Views: 237
Upvote 0
if you toss your rocks in a goldfish tank for a month you get a very nice "patina"
 
Obsidian is volcanic glass "Rock".
 
Again.. thanks that's twice You posted the same link I was going to but didn't have to bother because you got it done. LOL.
 
I didnt know that was called glass. Probably cause I have never seen any in hand before. Sorry Nat
 
Thanks! I'll do a little research right quick.

It not dover flint, dover is mostly grey with dark grey blotches and streaks.It looks like it could be obsidian. Where did it come from?
 
capsmith said:
It not dover flint, dover is mostly grey with dark grey blotches and streaks.It looks like it could be obsidian. Where did it come from?

VA. Right on the NC line. Exact site, I don't remember. I found this point when I was between 16 to 18 years old. Old girl friend gave me the old "get every thing of yours, and every thing you ever bought me out, and don't forget your old dirty rocks". I had a basket full of points, scrapers, chips ... There, so I took them and hit the road. At that time, I liked to look for points, but did not study any of them. Not long after that, I found a beautiful Folsom . That got me to reading. After learning about the ages of these things, I was really intrigued. I went through all of my stuff, shoe boxes, my old truck had some just up on the dash, and that basket. That is where I refound this beauty. It is obsidian. I only have a couple points made of obsidian and was lucky that this one did not get scarred up in that basket all those years. When held to light, it is not totally transparent, but much more so than Dover chert. Thanks for viewing !!
 
The volume of obsidian, especially mahogany obsidian is troubling. This material would have to have come from Central Oregon, and the volume of material 'found' is way above what normal trading would involve. Between the Colville, Washington area and the Oregon Obsidian sites are umpteen tons of high quality agatized and opalized petrified wood in Central Washington - I've found over a ton myself with little effort. They would have also have had to cross the Columbia River at least once, and the agate and jasper points found there are some of the highest quality in the world - but the mix of expected materials is not reflected in these banana boxes...
 
Many many thousands of dollars. I am looking at a local blade cache. Six blades. Twenty two thousand and counting. God what a find that is. Historical.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet
 
And that is all Paleo. I would stash that fast and get ten of them papered. The best ten.

There is a lot of money there, and everybody is right about being careful. That is so much better off with a true passionate collector than on trays in a closed room in a university. That is where those beautiful pieces of art will end up.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet
 
And that is all Paleo. I would stash that fast and get ten of them papered. The best ten.

There is a lot of money there, and everybody is right about being careful. That is so much better off with a true passionate collector than on trays in a closed room in a university. That is where those beautiful pieces of art will end up.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet


Appears to be a lot of Mule Ear's and Plateau's -> Late Prehistoric-Early Historic period. The Classic Period has them a 700 BP.

http://www.arrowheads1.com/artifactinfo/ColumbiaRiverV1.pdf
 
Okay guys here is what youve been wanting. I got him

downloadfile-9.webp

to send more pics close up. He organized a bunch of pieces into what he thinks was long spears at one time. Like he said before they where all in a pile of flakes and pieces. The ones in a hoard on the plywood are all brokes he said. Enjoy and am looking forward to your thoughts.
 

Attachments

  • downloadfile-27.webp
    downloadfile-27.webp
    27.8 KB · Views: 131
  • downloadfile-13.webp
    downloadfile-13.webp
    18.2 KB · Views: 114
  • downloadfile-28.webp
    downloadfile-28.webp
    17.1 KB · Views: 120
  • downloadfile-23.webp
    downloadfile-23.webp
    16.4 KB · Views: 118
  • downloadfile-18.webp
    downloadfile-18.webp
    31.2 KB · Views: 117
  • downloadfile-24.webp
    downloadfile-24.webp
    36.6 KB · Views: 110
  • downloadfile-14.webp
    downloadfile-14.webp
    20.8 KB · Views: 139
  • downloadfile-19.webp
    downloadfile-19.webp
    36.8 KB · Views: 127
  • downloadfile-16.webp
    downloadfile-16.webp
    40.1 KB · Views: 117
  • downloadfile-15.webp
    downloadfile-15.webp
    27.6 KB · Views: 124
  • downloadfile-17.webp
    downloadfile-17.webp
    26.8 KB · Views: 119
  • downloadfile-12.webp
    downloadfile-12.webp
    20.7 KB · Views: 125
  • downloadfile-20.webp
    downloadfile-20.webp
    24.4 KB · Views: 118
  • downloadfile-10.webp
    downloadfile-10.webp
    45 KB · Views: 121
  • downloadfile-8.webp
    downloadfile-8.webp
    48.5 KB · Views: 109
Well thank you for showing them better. We will have to see what everyone says.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom