What's new

AN AFTER SCHOOL HUNT WITH THE DEUS

against the wind

Platinum Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2015
Messages
24,896
Reaction score
24,983
Golden Thread
0
Location
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monday I was scheduled to attend Track Flagging School. I work for NYC Transit and this course is an annual refresher class. Anyone who may be required to enter upon the Right Of Way, or work on the track way is required to take this course. I plan to retire at the end of the year, so hopefully, this is my last time.

There is a park across the street from the school that has about 3 or 4 acres of lawn that is surrounded by some really old shade trees. The park itself was developed for use as a park in 1929. The School was originally an Elementary School used by the NYC Board of Education, and was built in 1932. I couldn't resist taking a picture of a wood framed house that sits directly across from the park. I ran it's address through Google and it turns out that this house was built in 1925. Now those are some pretty decent dates if you are looking for Silver. Couple that information with the fact that this park was just added to the list of parks we can hunt on our Metal Detecting Permit, in 2016.

After school I began a 4 hour hunt. This park has been hunted or poached over the years. Not a single piece of silver was to be found. As a matter of fact, even the clad was scarce. The search for another pocket of silver continues.
IMG_3962.webpIMG_3958.webp
IMG_3961.webpIMG_3964.webp
IMG_3965.webpIMG_3967.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 18
That is a good looking park. Too bad you didn't find any silver. Oh well, Turn the Page....
 
keep looking one has got to be there somewhere! I find it amazing sometimes when I go back over a site that I have hit hard and something good turns up.they had to of left one.
 
Like you said, it has probably been hit hard in the past. I recently had a similar experience with a 1934 home that had a nice size lot. Just looking at it, it was screaming silver. But after a full day of searching, I didn't turn up so much as a single Wheatie! Oh well, you never know until you try. "On to the next" as they say.
 
Hey! Young man! You know homework comes FIRST, after school! :nono:

About the poaching? Ya see, some just plain feel they are above laws. Laws and rules are for others. Unless, that is, that some law or rule that is broken involves them *as the victims*.

Looks like a rather nice park! You seem to have done well!
 
Kevin,a lot of those old NYC parks have fill dirt brought in over the years.The trick is always look for any original ground that's still there, that's where the oldies are still reachable.HH
 
You can check that on off the list. Nice to see that you've been very active.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom