Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
An Afternoon Of Unexpected Finds - One's ALIVE

Hi all,

I passed by a church soccer field yesterday and had my detector in the car, so I decided to check it out for a while..I found about $6 in clad, and also came across a coin that I thought was a silver quarter (even though my detector read it as a penny-dime signal). And in a church field too! Hmmmmmm..

DOG1.jpg

DOG2.jpg

DOG3.jpg

Before I left I thought to myself, "One more quarter.." About 10 minutes later I found 2 next to each other. On my way to the truck, I was swinging the coil between the black top area and a small playground..I got a signal that turned out to be a silver ring.

DOG4.jpg

Now for the biggest shock of all..I knew I was close to a school I hadn't been to in quite a while..it didn't have much of a field, but it did have a playground. I almost didn't go because I was tired after a couple of hours at the church, but I thought maybe I could check the wood chips..

It was a good thing I went there. As I walked to the back of the school (which was not visible from anywhere in the parking lot) I went down a small grade and noticed a dog at the bottom, totally out of view in a secluded area of the field. As I got closer to it, I noticed it was tied to a backstop post with about 1 foot of leash.

As I came closer it sat up and showed its teeth, so I started talking to it and held my hand out slowly. As I did, it began to whine and then lick my hand. I untied the leash and noticed the dog was malnourished and dehydrated. I decided I had to do something, so I ended up taking it home. It was afraid to get in my truck and afraid to come out, so I had to carry her in and out. She would flinch and duck down to the floor if I held my hands up, so more than likely it had been abused. How anyone could do this to an animal I'll never know. There's better ways to get rid of a dog than leaving it for dead tied up to a post, far away from where anyone could see it.

We found out she was female of a mixed breed..she has some Lab features, but I'm not sure what other breed is in there..she's all white with short, light gold ears and a little color along her back side and tail.

We got her home, fed her and gave her some water (needless to say she ate and drank like crazy). Then I gave her a good bath (she smelled like urine) and later introduced her to my other dogs (a Dachshund and a black Lab mix). Luckily they all got along exceptionally well. I guess we'll keep her, but it looks like all my clad from now on will go to the vet rather than another guitar :D

Anyway, here's some pics of her (that's me with her in the last photo). The first one is a little disturbing (seeing how skinny she is) but the others are cute..the techs at the animal hospital could feel all of her ribs, and every vertibrae and bone in her back and pelvic area. Her teeth, ears and paws all looked good. With proper care she should be okay and gain her weight back..it may take a bit longer to get her to trust people again but we're working on it.

DOG8.jpg

DOG7.jpg

DOG6.jpg

DOG5.jpg

Hope you all had a safe and happy weekend.
Nat

Upvote 0

Bananna

Jul 8, 2008
Re: An Afternoon Of Unexpected Finds - One's ALIVE

Hey everybody, I am Natman's sister (his favorite one) and it warms my heart to read all the responses to his best find of all. Sounds like there are a lot of fans out there! Number one fan spot belongs to me though, and the words I use to best describe my bro to others, I have seen over and over in these postings..."heart of gold". You can't find anyone with a better heart than Nat. To put the icing on the karma (cake), this is the man that as a teenager brought home a 3-week old puppy from the park where he worked because someone brought pups there that the mother could no longer care for. This baby grew into full size looking SO MUCH like Nat's new dog shown here it is absolutely eerie. When I got the email about Tasha number 2, (we named the puppy from the park Tasha after Mom spritzed her with the Avon cologne of the same name) I saw the photos before I read the email and thought Nat had run across some old pics of our first dog.
I agree that the measure of a person's heart is shown by how he/she treats God's creatures and that about says it all. We were all put on earth to take care of each other and while some "people" still don't get that concept, there are still some good guys left and my brother is definintely one of them. God bless. :thumbsup:

L

lovedigging

Nat, Great story and thumbs up on what you did. You should name her DIGGER....Since she's your big find.

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GREAT JOB!!!!!!!

When I was a kid my father used to work as a security guard for extra cash. One day when the circus was in town he was standing guard. As the parade started this ding dirty " mut " was leading the whole thing. Dad put him in the car and brought him home. It was a Sunday night when we all first saw him... and yes we named him Sunday. He was my dog for many years until he passed... Thankx for bringing back a GREAT memory....

PLL

Kya

May 9, 2007
Kentucky

Natman said:
Hi all,

I passed by a church soccer field yesterday and had my detector in the car, so I decided to check it out for a while..I found about $6 in clad, and also came across a coin that I thought was a silver quarter (even though my detector read it as a penny-dime signal). And in a church field too! Hmmmmmm..

DOG1.jpg

DOG2.jpg

DOG3.jpg

Before I left I thought to myself, "One more quarter.." About 10 minutes later I found 2 next to each other. On my way to the truck, I was swinging the coil between the black top area and a small playground..I got a signal that turned out to be a silver ring.

DOG4.jpg

Now for the biggest shock of all..I knew I was close to a school I hadn't been to in quite a while..it didn't have much of a field, but it did have a playground. I almost didn't go because I was tired after a couple of hours at the church, but I thought maybe I could check the wood chips..

It was a good thing I went there. As I walked to the back of the school (which was not visible from anywhere in the parking lot) I went down a small grade and noticed a dog at the bottom, totally out of view in a secluded area of the field. As I got closer to it, I noticed it was tied to a backstop post with about 1 foot of leash.

As I came closer it sat up and showed its teeth, so I started talking to it and held my hand out slowly. As I did, it began to whine and then lick my hand. I untied the leash and noticed the dog was malnourished and dehydrated. I decided I had to do something, so I ended up taking it home. It was afraid to get in my truck and afraid to come out, so I had to carry her in and out. She would flinch and duck down to the floor if I held my hands up, so more than likely it had been abused. How anyone could do this to an animal I'll never know. There's better ways to get rid of a dog than leaving it for dead tied up to a post, far away from where anyone could see it.

We found out she was female of a mixed breed..she has some Lab features, but I'm not sure what other breed is in there..she's all white with short, light gold ears and a little color along her back side and tail.

We got her home, fed her and gave her some water (needless to say she ate and drank like crazy). Then I gave her a good bath (she smelled like urine) and later introduced her to my other dogs (a Dachshund and a black Lab mix). Luckily they all got along exceptionally well. I guess we'll keep her, but it looks like all my clad from now on will go to the vet rather than another guitar :D

Anyway, here's some pics of her (that's me with her in the last photo). The first one is a little disturbing (seeing how skinny she is) but the others are cute..the techs at the animal hospital could feel all of her ribs, and every vertibrae and bone in her back and pelvic area. Her teeth, ears and paws all looked good. With proper care she should be okay and gain her weight back..it may take a bit longer to get her to trust people again but we're working on it.

DOG8.jpg

DOG7.jpg

DOG6.jpg

DOG5.jpg

Hope you all had a safe and happy weekend.
Nat

This is one beautiful and very fortunate dog.

TheRestlessMouse

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2008

A most excellent find. Glad the dogs are getting along, that could have been a problem. It doesn't surprise me that detector people are often dog people.

I like the heads and tails token too!

stormfighter

Mar 23, 2008
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
DFX

That is Awsome!! Great deed done!! What will be her name? "Shortstop".Karma will be good to you from now on.Times are getting tough in this country.

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This is the kind of story I really love to hear about because it puts in to perspective the different kinds of people out there, those that are caring and cares for those that can't care for themselves and those that are...... well the words are to strong to use on a public forum, but you know what I mean. From one animal lover to another, THANKS!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Specter

Apr 30, 2008
Detector(s) used
Two M-6's

You found a lot of change, and a new hunting companion! Congratulations!! :thumbsup:

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro

awe what a cutie. good job takin her. Although i dont know anyone that would leave that cute face anyway. Congrats on a new member of the family

OP
OP
Natman

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks for the added replies and thanks also to my sis who REALLY surprised me by adding her thoughts..

We found out Tasha has Australian Shepherd in her, whatever else she may be who knows..

Nat

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other

Around my neck 'O' the woods, we call 'em Heinz 57's.

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250

Cool finds Nat........those type of tokens are the coolest in my book...........and congrats on your new dog! You did well in rescuing her. Good work buddy.

Best,
Ricardo

mamabear2

Jun 26, 2008

rescuing man's (or woman's) best friend is worth more than all the gold and silver found!! She's gorgeous!! i know that she will be with you for a loooonnnnnggggg time!!!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What a guy! 8) Nat, she's just beautiful and the story of saving her is as well. :) I know she'll make a great addition to your family.

Congrats on those finds~

Nana :)

sneaky6

Aug 14, 2007
Deep Dug Hole, VA

Best find I have ever seen on T-Net!! You two are friends for life. Just awesome, Natman!! Keep us updated!

Sneaky6

Slipperyjack47

Apr 5, 2008
Solon Springs Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Procoil and SEF coils Bounty Hunter Lone Star

Nat, all I can say is your a shining example of what we all should strive to be and I echo the idea of this is TRULY a banner find !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Slipperjack47

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250

Hey Nat, congrats on the finds & the rescue of Tasha. We live out in the country & when we moved here we had one cat...with people dropping them off & such over the years and some of them getting run over, to be replaced by another one or two that show up...as of today we have 11 cats. If anyone needs a kitten we have four really cute ones. My wife would like to reduce the size of the herd. lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread