What's new

An Artifact Hunters Dilemma

monsterrack

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2013
Messages
4,429
Reaction score
5,831
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was talking to an old friend who made the largest discovery of trade goods in the Mississippi Valley ever and I asked if he had it to do over again what would he do different. His response did not take me by surprise after all that I know what the system put him through. His words were( I would not tell a soul about one single item). This man was just an artifact hunter as all of us, he did his home work and put time in the field and when he did make a find, well when the media, politics and everyone got through with him he was next to scum at the bottom of the pond. My question to all of you is, if you found a load of artifacts and then realized you where in a burial, what would you do.
A. Put back the artifacts and cover up the burial an tell the state.
B. Keep what you had found and then cover the burial an tell the state.
C. Keep everything and not say a word about it.
I know that some people don't want to tarnish their reputation in the artifact community, and I understand that. But what I'm asking and was just wondering how many people would have the up standing morals to do the right thing. I know the temptation of not saying anything, I had to make that choice once in my life and it turned out for the good. 18 years ago while hunting arrowheads behind where there had been logging, we walked up on a site that I will never forget. Where the loggers had made their loader zone was on top of 20 graves and every time it got muddy, they would take a dozer and shove mud off the location. They had piled up trade artifacts every where, at first it was a mad dash to pick up items and then it dawned on us that these were grave goods (there was no bones or sign of bones). So after much talking about the pros and cons we contacted the state. When the state got there they took one look at the site and said it was destroyed and would do them no good, ( also said the state did not have the money)he gave us their blessing and we went to work(we had permission form the land owner to hunt artifacts). It did not go that well for my friend(who also had permission to hunt on the land by an agent of the land owner), it became a witch hunt and he was the witch. So what I'm asking and wondering what is the community's thoughts on such a touchy subject (be honest).
 
Upvote 0
If the artifacts are out of context..and no longer a part of a stratified layer...each are concidered isolated finds by definition..or a lithic scatter at best. At that point one could only postulate any association of each individual artifact to one or another. Bone tools would be easier to associate.
there are a plethora of long words in the reply ....Nice I like this
 
Great thread subject! My opinion was always to take an active role in telling the history of your region/area/state/etc. My opinion has changed, however, on the methods to do so. Example: My dad is a heavy equipment operator here in the Texas Hill Country. Always rural stuff, like clearing brush for unpaved ranch roads and fence lines, building earthen dams and dikes, stock tanks etc. This career path is the absolute best for artifact enthusiasts, i swear. Years ago, (1999-2000?) we were doing some cut and fill work with a Dozer and perfectly cross-sectioned a mastodon tusk... We killed the machinery at once and got down to investigate further, finding several molars and associated small bone material. Perfectly preserved, you could actually still see the vein canals and everything. My mother is an archeology major, and we took more than 100 photos and scale representations and everything for our private collection, but did not disturb anything in the process. Next we made a phone call over to the nearest University (name withheld). They sent field teams out and spent a great deal of time doing excavations, laying PVC grids, plotting everything, plaster casting, the works. I learned a lot just asking questions, watching, and got to get down and dirty and dig/scoop/brush some because I was the kid of the owner of the property. I guess they weren't gonna say "no" because they were happy to have a site. Haha. Fast forward a year and a half or so, and you have NEVER seen more pain and pulling-of-teeth to get pieces back from the college. Pieces that were "on loan" and only lent in good faith to help further science and history of the land that has been in my family since pre-revolution Texas. When it was all said and done, two of the molars were "lost in catalog". Not making that up, that was the actual wording used. So, in closing. I STILL feel that the history should be told, and I have actually documented and photographed to the best of my abilities pertinent information on significant finds... And even go so far to make contact with departments and let them know what we have found in what areas so that if they chose to they can record or make note in their own ways.... But the sending teams out and whatnot? Those days are over. We feel they violated our trust and the sanctity of private property that was lent on good faith for the purpose of research. We have an Indian burial site, near countless middens, dinosaur tracks, wagon trails, and pioneer graves on the ranch. The burial areas do not get touched... In fact we make it a point to weedeat and mow and keep the livestock off the immediate area. The middens, I plan to start a somewhat large scale sifting and screening dig with my family there this winter on one of them in particular. The dinosaur tracks in the river bed, we continue to visit... As kids we used to sit in them while swimming. They are a treasure and we enjoy just being able to see and touch them. But the surface-find projectile points, that's another story. One or two weekends a month my wife and I are back at the ranch visiting, and we, along with mom and dad always go and hunt a couple hours in the evening. We talk, catch up on life, and always head back to the house with some nice stuff in the pockets.
I concur I operate equipment a lot and it does put artifacts in your lap ;)
 
there are a plethora of long words in the reply ....Nice I like this

Ha..
If they've already been moved around The only thing you can figure out is what they are..LOL.
"In most cases"
 
Last edited:
I'd love to see a Dino track.

Bear with me, Next time I'm down home I'm planning on pulling copies of all the pictures and then I'll post a new thread for those interested!
 
Quite the enigma aren't you.
 
Last edited:
wow...just caught that? and that is only half the story....good luck on the rest of your research...

Enigma... Mysterious, puzzling. I'm not sure how you take that, but I would say its a compliment. I'm not sure how Gator meant for it to come across either. Regardless, mysterious is cool!
 
sorry..had a wonderful weekend...and then the thunder gods blew out two tires attempting to keep me from getting home...
I am tired...at least I washed, and I admit I am a bit tiresome today...I get out of sorts at times...honest apology,.
sorry gator...
 
LAMBAYEQUE

the objects from this location were on sale in Europe and american auction companies, prior to the authorities in peru knowing they had Royal Tombs of Sipan.
rather soured me to the job as curator...
yes..i am all of the above verbs...
again, I apologize.
 
Your stance is admirable ...and understood.
I will venture to say there is a long distance between what most of us do and post.. and Tomb robbing.
Collecting out of context artifacts whether by erosion or a tractor only serves to rescue and curate these items.
As far as sub-surface hunting...
If on private property and not a burial I belive it should be up to the property owner... this is the land of the free.
"I'd sure like to walk through Zana with a metal detector"
 
Last edited:
I have written 3 responses to the thread and deleted every one…..
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom