What's new

An Artifact Hunters Dilemma

monsterrack

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2013
Messages
4,429
Reaction score
5,831
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was talking to an old friend who made the largest discovery of trade goods in the Mississippi Valley ever and I asked if he had it to do over again what would he do different. His response did not take me by surprise after all that I know what the system put him through. His words were( I would not tell a soul about one single item). This man was just an artifact hunter as all of us, he did his home work and put time in the field and when he did make a find, well when the media, politics and everyone got through with him he was next to scum at the bottom of the pond. My question to all of you is, if you found a load of artifacts and then realized you where in a burial, what would you do.
A. Put back the artifacts and cover up the burial an tell the state.
B. Keep what you had found and then cover the burial an tell the state.
C. Keep everything and not say a word about it.
I know that some people don't want to tarnish their reputation in the artifact community, and I understand that. But what I'm asking and was just wondering how many people would have the up standing morals to do the right thing. I know the temptation of not saying anything, I had to make that choice once in my life and it turned out for the good. 18 years ago while hunting arrowheads behind where there had been logging, we walked up on a site that I will never forget. Where the loggers had made their loader zone was on top of 20 graves and every time it got muddy, they would take a dozer and shove mud off the location. They had piled up trade artifacts every where, at first it was a mad dash to pick up items and then it dawned on us that these were grave goods (there was no bones or sign of bones). So after much talking about the pros and cons we contacted the state. When the state got there they took one look at the site and said it was destroyed and would do them no good, ( also said the state did not have the money)he gave us their blessing and we went to work(we had permission form the land owner to hunt artifacts). It did not go that well for my friend(who also had permission to hunt on the land by an agent of the land owner), it became a witch hunt and he was the witch. So what I'm asking and wondering what is the community's thoughts on such a touchy subject (be honest).
 
Upvote 0
find human remains...STOP, call authorities...forget what ever artifacts...they belong to the dead guy.

{ I know I am a purist on this one}
I should add. I have returned human remains to the hopi tribe...so do have a history on the topic.
 
I have actually been in your situation. It was about 10 years back down in SC. I was on a hunting trip and our guide mentioned a mound. They had ran tractors and all kinds of farm machinery over a known mound. I got bored in the tree stand and feel like the "wild boar" that we were after were pen raised. Every boar killed had "broken his tusk fighting". I decided since I was lucky enough to get the mound stand, I would poke around a little. The mound, might I add, was leveled. No one would ever know it existed, had they not been enlightened. I'm sure this spot had been pillaged, which I think is wrong. Being that I was on a destroyed mound, not digging, and only had a chance to get what others tossed, I saw, and see no moral issue. I found some pot shards and a gaming stone. Nothing out of the ordinary. I kept the things that I found. Regardless of different opinions, I view my action as respectful. The people that destroyed the mound, I see them as crap. As your experience, no bones or human remains were in sight. As far as I know, the mound could just be a tall tell. If I ever found a significant site, undisturbed, is do my home work before calling state officials in. If given the OK to go into a sight of significance, I'd do my best to record every find accurately. Once again, I'd do my home work, and months of it, before I started any field work. I hope I haven't offended any one with my honesty.
 
NC.. most "mounds" or otherwise piled debris are trash piles basically.
A heaped up pile does not necessarily have any burial.
,.........
Rack.....
Regardless of what conclusion you come up with..I hope you do what you know to be morally correct.
The first thing I would NOT do... is after posting a laundry list of finds photos and info is post that question in an open forum.
That is very leading.
 
Last edited:
NC.. most "mounds" or otherwise piled debris are trash piles basically.
A heaped up pile does not necessarily have any burial.
,.........
Rack.....
Regardless of what conclusion did you come up with..I hope you do what you know to be morally correct.
The first thing I would NOT do... is after posting a laundry list of finds and photos...post that question in an open forum.
That is very leading.

Exactly Gator. If this place was a burial mound at any point in time, I doubt the best archeologist in the country could prove it now. It isn't even a hill or a high spot now. It's just as level as any other piece of land down there. That's pretty level, hence the name, "the flat lands". I wasn't the person that damaged the burial, if that was ever what it was.
 
This is a sketchy thread.
 
NC.. most "mounds" or otherwise piled debris are trash piles basically.
A heaped up pile does not necessarily have any burial.
,.........
Rack.....
Regardless of what conclusion you come up with..I hope you do what you know to be morally correct.
The first thing I would NOT do... is after posting a laundry list of finds photos and info is post that question in an open forum.
That is very leading.

This has nothing to do with anything that I have posted, as I stated in the thread I was talking with an old friend that I call every now and then just to get up dates on his life. I have no conclusion to come up with, as I stated I have only had to make that call once in my life and I fill I did the right thing and would do it again. My friend and I were talking about all the trouble he went through, when I came up with the thought of this thread. My bad!!!!
 
Last edited:
I dont dig so I dont worry about it myself
 
I do dig, and I do worry about it. Bone preserves well where I dig and when any bone is found, I take a moment to decipher the origins and plan and carefully decide from that point. When and if human remains are founds, things get returned, you move on and mums the word, period... thats the way I handle it. Been there...
Sketchy thread indeed...
 
If I found human remains I would leave them be , if it was gonna be destroyed by construction I would tell no one and try to preserve otherwise what would be destroyed .we have a site here where I found that human bone downstream from this location it had gotten plowed and turned up many woodland indian bones they stopped and called the university they came and discovered 300 graves it stays till this day a pasture protected so I guess it would depend on human remains if I found a bunch I would call the university. If not I'd say keep it to yourself it's a gift from the indian gods
 
My ma had several acres of woods as part of her farm along the Dupage river....they had a lot of burial mounds down by the river that grandpa wouldn't let ANYONE touch...he respected the fact. In fact the story was that the last indian buried in Illinois was buried there. This would have been back in the early 1900's.... today?....all dug up and part of a city park...but the dug holes and piles are still there.....
 
For what it's worth, Egypt has no problem studying their native burials......

incomplete statement...they did have a serious issue with this behavior until colonialization by Europeans...who dismantled monuments, opened tombs, stole corpse after corpse.
now, they study what they can get returned from Europe and the American museums and "private collectors"
half truths are worse than a whole lie.imo
 
incomplete statement...they did have a serious issue with this behavior until colonialization by Europeans...who dismantled monuments, opened tombs, stole corpse after corpse.
now, they study what they can get returned from Europe and the American museums and "private collectors"
half truths are worse than a whole lie.imo

So, you think the Egyptians have stopped digging tombs???????!!!!!!!
 
Also.. who pays for the dig?
That's where the "honesty" lies.
 
clearly attempting to have a honest conversation is a waste of time...

If you reread my initial post...I stated "they have no problem STUDYING...." I made no mention of digging graves in that post....your "half truth" comment was a little over the top. What I posted was dead on correct and you confirmed it.

For what it's worth, personally I would do the right thing but I absolutely have no problem with the proper study of burials. Mankind has learned plenty and that knowledge is a gift.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom